Jump to content

The dreaded dentist visit


Boomer
 Share

Recommended Posts

It's been about eight years since my last check-up. I finally went in and got a clean bill of health. The high-pitched drill sounds and the feeling of metal tools in my mouth just gross me out. I'll be better about going regularly from now on, I swear. Imagining what could've happened does haunt me.
Link to comment
Share on other sites


It's been 10 years since the last time I had dental work done. In August of 2009, I had 8 teeth removed (Top right Top left Bottom right Bottom left Molars + each wisdom tooth next to those molars). Before that, it'd been probably about 5+ years since I'd last been to the dentist. Not really sure why, I know we had health insurance when I was a kid. Dunno if we had dental...maybe we didn't?

 

Anyway, my teeth are screwed up. When my parents divorced/split in 97 and I went with my dad, I went through a period of time when I was 12 or so where I just simply didn't brush my teeth for awhile. I'm not sure how long I went, but long enough that my teeth turned a bit yellow and kids in class started noticing. I started brushing after that, but ever since then my teeth haven't returned to being white. Additionally, I started suffering from cracked/chipped teeth once I turned 19. Seems like about once a year, one of my teeth near the front of my mouth would randomly break a bit while eating.

 

I did visit the dentist last year, but I couldn't afford to have any work done at the time. Dental work is brutally expensive in the US, even with dental insurance. I dunno what the situation is for you folks over in the UK, but in America, Dental insurance works like this - They categorize everything dentists can do in 4 tiers, A B C and D. A is the minor preventative stuff and with most good quality insurance companies is completely free for us to enjoy. B is a little bit more, but still low cost, you pay maybe 20% of the cost of service and insurance covers the other 80%. But C is where the bulk of the work I need done is at - I need 4 root canals, I need deep gum cleaning, I need tooth repair, and whitening. Most insurances cover 40 to 60% of the cost at this level, mine is at about 60% because I researched my options before picking my plan. And finally D is major dental surgery type stuff and is 30 to 40% coverage at best.

 

When I visited the dentist last year, it was before I started my new job and I had my old dental insurance. Total cost of the work I needed done at that time was around 5000. Now I have my new job, they offer different choices of dental insurance and they appeared to be better. I believe now my total cost will be around 2000 to 2500ish, but I won't know for sure until I go in and talk to the dentist office to find out exactly what I need NOW (Because another tooth chipped in half recently).

 

Thankfully, I can get a health-savings account so I don't have to pay that much money upfront, they'll basically just give me a max ceiling (I believe I opted to fund my HSA with 2600) and then withdraw 100 from my paycheck for the whole year (Cause I get paid bi-weekly for a total of 26 pay days) and that's a lot easier to handle.

 

Dental sucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...