13 Reasons Why

Maya

I am currently watching this first season of 13 Reasons Why. I know, I'm behind the times. I told myself I wouldn't watch it because I've been trying to avoid "teenage" shows, try and be mature and all. Then, a couple of weeks ago, my dog sat on my controller and it started playing. I binged the first half of the season and then I started to feel things that I don't think the show wants me to feel...like the fact that I had a hard time sympathising with Hannah most of the time. I just think she's cruel and hypocritical. I'm still watching because I figure I should see if it plays out differently than I think it will. Not holding onto too much hope though. Maybe I'm a monster.

Does anyone else watch it? What do you think of it?

I finished the first series, but have yet to start the second. If you are planning to see the next part, let me know. Seems like having a friend while watching this story is a good idea. How far are you into it? I will avoid spoilers for you.

I adored Hannah's actress, but I also had a hard time accepting her actions. As much as she was the victim in some cases, there were also things she could've done differently. It was uncomfortable following these kids who had various issues and thinking that it might be a reflection of reality.

I've watched the first season and haven't bothered with the second. @Glimm, I liked Hannah's actress as well. She did a great job. I just don't know how I feel about her character. I liked Hannah in the flashbacks we see. She seemed to have a pretty good moral compass for someone her age. But there were only a couple of characters who really deserved to be on those tapes, in my opinion. Did Jessica really need all that after everything she also went through? And Clay?

@Glimm, I think I'll probably end up watching the second season out of curiosity to see how the story continues. I'll let you know when I get there so we can watch together! I'm in the middle of Clay's tape right now.

She was a victim and depressed, so I do cut her some slack. I think @Hal is right though, not all of those characters deserved a tape and the guilt that will forever accompany them throughout their lives. Bruce does for sure. But Jessica? She was a victim too. I also find it odd how some characters say that things went down differently, like Jessica saying that Hannah was the one who stopped showing up for their hot cocoa sessions and not the other way around. Do those instances of unreliable narrators ever get cleared up?

I think I really started disliking her during Sheri's tape. They both made the same mistake - not calling the cops. Sheri still feels guilt over what she did and she felt that way without Hannah's tape it seems. She was scared...just like Hannah. It just seems hypocritical for her to hold onto it like that. Did anyone else feel that way?

I also find it odd how some characters say that things went down differently, like Jessica saying that Hannah was the one who stopped showing up for their hot cocoa sessions and not the other way around. Do those instances of unreliable narrators ever get cleared up?

The same goes for Zack and the note. I don't recall those ever getting cleared up. They might be touched on in the second season. I think we're just left with unreliable narrators though. It's realistic at least.

The first season was good, although I would have liked a different ending, it kind of frustrated me. I started the second season but I couldn't finish it. I feel like they didn't do a great job keeping the storyline interesting enough.

I find that happens a lot when a show is based on a book and they've run out of the original source material. Sometimes it's done well but, more often than not, I find it lacking in some way. I read that people changed their opinions about Hannah after watching the second season (from positive to negative). Did that happen to you? How far did you make it?

@Salome G, I think this line from your review of the first season nails it.

The truth is, though, Hannah is–was–not an angel baby, too pure and perfect for this sick, sad world. She was just a girl who deprived herself of the air and the light and decided that all offenses against her were equal.

I get that the show is trying to tell us that even small acts can have big consequences, but some of these were small acts (comparatively speaking, at least). They don't deserve the torment they receive from these tapes. Alex picked another girl and in lashing out at Jessica, he hurt Hannah in ways that he didn't think of. Does he deserve to be just as tormented as Bruce? Do any of these people deserve to be tormented as much as him? He's the one who seems the least affected to me, at least on a psychological level which really isn't too surprising.

• Like 1

That "all offenses were equal" bit is fantastic.

Who actually deserved to be put on those tapes? Other than Bruce, of course. (Okay, "deserve" is probably a strong word.)

Tyler and Courtney both damaged her reputation pretty significantly. These two acts were both conscious, personal attacks against Hannah. Attacks in which Hannah was actually blameless...if I'm remembering correctly. I suppose the same goes for Justin as well. For some reason, I find that more excusable. Maybe that's my bias toward the character.

Even then, these weren't Hannah's tipping points. Her tipping point was Bruce. I think that if he'd never been around and all of the other things had still happened, this would be a completely different story. It makes all the rest look even more insubstantial, at least for an outsider. I can't imagine being on a tape like that, whether or not I thought I was in the right. That would mess you up.

• Like 1

Exactly! Like, it was wrong for Ryan to publish her poem, but to put part of her death on him for that is beyond the pale.

It's beyond reason, that's for sure. Honestly when I was watching it I kept thinking, "If Taylor Swift were ever in this scenario this is exactly what she would do. 'Look What You Made Me Do'."

That "all offenses were equal" bit is fantastic.

Who actually deserved to be put on those tapes? Other than Bruce, of course. (Okay, "deserve" is probably a strong word.)

Tyler and Courtney both damaged her reputation pretty significantly. These two acts were both conscious, personal attacks against Hannah. Attacks in which Hannah was actually blameless...if I'm remembering correctly. I suppose the same goes for Justin as well. For some reason, I find that more excusable. Maybe that's my bias toward the character.

Even then, these weren't Hannah's tipping points. Her tipping point was Bruce. I think that if he'd never been around and all of the other things had still happened, this would be a completely different story. It makes all the rest look even more insubstantial, at least for an outsider. I can't imagine being on a tape like that, whether or not I thought I was in the right. That would mess you up.

Deserves is a strong word. Bruce deserved to have his tape released to the media. In her "all offenses are equal" mindset she also gave them all the same punishment. It doesn't make sense. I also think she was out of line with Jessica. She had no right to broadcast that story to everyone. Why couldn't she address these things privately with people?

• Like 1

@Maya You say you're behind the times, well, I don't know what this makes me since I don't think I've ever even heard of this show until now. My TV/Netflix etc. watching is very strange. One minute I feel like I'm addicted to TV, the next minute I won't watch anything at all for long stretches of time... but I digress... You all writing about this has me very eager to learn about this show. It's really strange to read about a show without ever having heard of it because then your mind starts to create pictures of what the show might actually look like. @Salome G 's comments here have me really intrigued.
  • Like 1