Ryback Situation Could Get Ugly

Justin Lake

Really? How the fuck did WWE let that one slip by? I can understand if it's a gimmick like Joe or Aj Styles where they can;t just go out and get it but to let a talent get the copyright and let him use it on TV? Weird.

He submitted the copyright a few months before them. This and the Adam Rose situation are odd. These two incidents are even more evidence there's not a lot of communication from top to bottom in the company. It's a carny business, but they're publicly traded and need to get their act together. The weekly shows are a good indication of how much communication that goes on. They over produce talking segments, overbook matches and underwhelm their audience.
  • Like 1

I know WWE loves their trademark stuff, but Ryback has become irrelevant enough to the company overall that I can't see him owning the trademark to "The Big Guy" being a major issue. Unless they'd have to go back and edit that out of re-airings of past stuff on the Network (I have no idea how trademarks work in that situation).

So long as they actually have the trade mark for Ryback then I'm doubt they will be fussed.

He doesn't sell enough merch with 'big guy' on it to annoy them due to loss of revenue, they also control the design of any merch and its release so again, they won't lose revenue and if he does leave, he won't be able to be Skip Sheffield or Ryback and 'The Big Guy' is so generic no one will give a pap anyway if they see his name on a card.

What makes me laugh is the fact that he believes he is under paid compared to some of the talent. I highly doubt he is paid less then Kalisto for instance, who he was just feuding with over the US title, in fact I'd probably say he gets paid double given his former headline status in 2012-13.

He can look around and blame other people and say his pay and his spot isn't fair but the fact is, everytime he gets a push he does something to screw it up. Botching on Tensai, injuring Punk, injuring Ziggler by being stiff, running his mouth. He is some much like WWE-era Goldberg outside of the ring its uncanny.

What makes me laugh is the fact that he believes he is under paid compared to some of the talent. I highly doubt he is paid less then Kalisto for instance, who he was just feuding with over the US title, in fact I'd probably say he gets paid double given his former headline status in 2012-13.
He's not saying talking about just him.

He is stating that if people are told to lose (due to the scripted nature of wrestling), then why should those who lose to make others look better be paid less? It's a valid question and what he is essentially stating is that performers should be on the same basic rate of pay, with the rest being made from bonuses, merch sales, etc, so your top guys (if they are shifting the merch, PPV buys, etc) still make their larger overall salaries.

There's a logic to his thinking.

It used to be the case that people that drew made the most money.

That used to be the system, you got your downside and bonuses off PPV buys, live gates (which where on a sliding scale depending where you where on the card) and off merch sales. If you consistently did well you got bumped up a pay bracket but if you didn't they you stayed where you where and constant poor performance usually led to you being cut.

Now of course, the PPV buy rate which used to be an important and hefty bonus has been screwed up by the network and the fact that Mania this year was pretty much free. What used to sell 1m plus PPV's now probably only sold half that, if that and screwed talent out of money.

In an ideal world, yes everyone should be on the same money BUT it is never the case in any business ever. Those who make the decisions always make the most, followed by those who the decision makers believe are the most valuable to their business in a sliding scale with those at the top raking it in and those at the bottom scraping by.

He and a few people lower on the totem pole might think they have the right idea but notice that no one else in the company has jumped to his defense and agreed with him on any form of social media, via an interview or anything. Its because human nature is to always want more, so people paid less will aspire to earn more but everyone else bar Ryback knows that if you bite the hand that feeds then you will be on your ass at home earning less then you could at work.

In an ideal world the concept of upper, middle and lower card should effectively work as pay grades and then talent should negotiate there own bonus/merch/gate %. I have to say that given the inherent expense of being a wrestler in terms of health and travel costs there should be more of an effort to arrange a more standard wage that talent could expect at various stages of a career. If that means they get less of a percentage of everything else then that's the trade off. At least in the WWE, the money they make should justify them making talents lives easier to plan financial

All travel and accommodation should be paid for by the company, not just airplanes. I'm not saying they all have to be put up at the Ritz, but at least get them in a decent hotel as an option and if they want to stay at a 5-star place they pay for that themselves.

Aside from that, wages should be based on how much you're worth to the company.

Just because you feel like you deserve a megapush, Ryback, doesn't mean you actually deserve it...

Where do you even read that into it? He's saying that just because you aren't getting a major push why should that affect you're earnings when putting people over and making them look good on their major push is just as important? Now, whether Ryback is any good at that is another debate of course but in theory he's right.

All travel and accommodation should be paid for by the company, not just airplanes. I'm not saying they all have to be put up at the Ritz, but at least get them in a decent hotel as an option and if they want to stay at a 5-star place they pay for that themselves.

Aside from that, wages should be based on how much you're worth to the company.

I think that's pretty fair, I'd suggest that some subsidy on medical bills would also be in order given that it's inherently dangerous and there's no pension for wrestlers. I'd run it like expenses, each trip you have a set amount you can spend that will be covered by the company (or that the company books all flights and hotels) anything over and above the company can claim back from the wages.

I work away a lot and I'm really thankful that my work trusts me with a work credit card because it makes my life so much easier. I still have to submit my receipts for tax purposes anyway but if I had to pay and claim I'd be in my overdraft every month waiting for work to pay me back and wrestlers I;m sure have bigger expenses than I do.

Plus if WWE did that then surely most contracts would go down as well. Part of the big bucks is to cover these expenses anyway so if you lessen the overall wage bill you pay out regardless each month and potentially when you aren't using people they aren't claiming expenses for travel etc so they are less of a drain on the company. As opposed to massive downsides you end up paying for a guy off TV for months due to injury or because they're a heat vacuum.

a lot of ryback merchandise has went on sale at wweshop. he might of bit of more than he can chew.
All of Ryback's merchandise went on sale, which is a hell of a passive-aggressive move considering he was saying that merch sales (among other extras) are what should make up the difference in what a performer earns.