General Comic Discussion Thread

Onslaught316

Anyone else here into monthly comics in general? Whether it be getting your books weekly, or trade waiting on some stuff - let's get a general comic book thread going. I took a look around and didn't see one, but feel free to direct me to it if I'm being a big dummy.

What are you reading? What are you looking forward to? Anything comic related!

I'm currently re-reading Justice League International (the Giffen/DeMatteis stuff) while I wait for my April box of comics to get here. I've also been going back and giving some early New 52 stuff a second shot in anticipation for Rebirth...most of it is about as "meh" as I remember.

At the moment my reading list is:

Deadpool (chronologically from the beginning...again)

Preacher (Again, but I've got to control my hype for the TV show somehow)

Chew (which is nearly at th end of it's run, and this makes me sad)

Saga (which is all kinds of pretty, and a really great story)

I've got Sandman, some Daredevil, and Kingdom Come waiting in the wings for when I've finished with Deapool and Preacher, which I'm quite looking forward too, and I need to try and catch a couple of issues of some titles being started up by Image to see what they're like.

And on top of all that I'm still waiting for Mark Millar to pull his finger out and release another issue of Jupiter's Legacy. 5 issues in 4 years is stringing things out a bit...

It's Quitely more than Millar on that front - Millar's been doing Jupiter's Circle consistently inbetween the Jupiter's Legacy stuff, and he has a bunch of other Image books. For some reason Quitely refuses to work a consistent schedule anymore. Probably because he can make more than a year's salary on commissions and doesn't even need to do monthly work anymore.

Just read the Batman Europa series, it was alright, nothing special. The He-Man Eternity War just wrapped, that was a disappointment sad to say. Hoping for more He-Man stuff more in line with the old cartoon but doubt it'll happen.

DKIII is up next, went back and read Dark Knight Returns to get prepped.

I'm working my way through the New 52 Earth 2 stuff, its actually pretty good; I'm enjoying it more than I am the main continuity.

How far along are you? I was enjoying it up until a little after Robinson departed. It totally lost me once Futures End rolled around.

If you can get hold of them the Irredeemable comics are amazing. Its a (thinly veiled) Superman style character who snaps and becomes the worlds greatest villain. In the first few pages he just vaporises their Batman equivalent.

If you can get hold of them the Irredeemable comics are amazing. Its a (thinly veiled) Superman style character who snaps and becomes the worlds greatest villain. In the first few pages he just vaporises their Batman equivalent.

Loved Irredeemable and that sister-series Incorruptible back when they were coming out. I don't believe I ever ended up finishing either though, I might have to add that to my list soon.

Waid has another series, Insufferable, from IDW. It's just reprints of something he did with Thrillbent as a digital comic, but it might be worth checking out if you liked Irredeemable. Unrelated despite the similar title to the other two, but thematically it has some similarities.

• 1 month later...

Holy shit.

That huge captain America thing...

Hail Hydra

Claimed by the writers to be the real Steve Rogers, not a clone, impersonator or robot of any kind. I don't normally hate on character twists off the bat, but this just seems to be stupid.

Like everything else in comics, there will be more to it. Steve was just de-aged by a walking, living Cosmic Cube one story ago, and even says on another panel in this very issue that he hasn't felt quite himself since being de-aged. There's absolutely no way this story doesn't go the route of "his head was messed with in the transition and he's misremembering things/being manipulated." There's the alternative option of Red Skull controlling Rogers, since he does possess Professor Xavier's brain and thereby powers currently.

Either way, there's a zero percent chance this story wraps up with Steve Rogers genuinely having been an agent of HYDRA all along. I'll genuinely eat my shoe if that's the case.

Yeah for sure. I refuse to believe for a second that they'd even consider making this a genuine change, but in the alternate reality where they do, you're absolutely right. It doesn't stand beyond the next big event where some Big Bad alters the status quo.

O.K. guys I have a real quick question about DeadPool...... watching the movie and not really knowing too much of the guy before...I did see him in X-men:origins, he has the power to regenerate.... he cut off his hand in the one scene than it GREW back.... REGENERATION!!

So if he was cut in half.... NOT SPLIT DOWN THE MIDDLE.... assuming that even, if the cut was wavy, he was left with half a heart in each side, the same amount of internal organs, the same exact amount of brains in each half.........would he regenerate into two(2) Deadpools????

O.K. guys I have a real quick question about DeadPool...... watching the movie and not really knowing too much of the guy before...I did see him in X-men:eek:rigins, he has the power to regenerate.... he cut off his hand in the one scene than it GREW back.... REGENERATION!!

So if he was cut in half.... NOT SPLIT DOWN THE MIDDLE.... assuming that even, if the cut was wavy, he was left with half a heart in each side, the same amount of internal organs, the same exact amount of brains in each half.........would he regenerate into two(2) Deadpools????

Well, it doesn't totally answer your question, but there is this guy:

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/d/d5/Wade_Wilson_(Evil_Deadpool)_(Earth-616)_from_Deadpool_Kills_Deadpool_Vol_1_4.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141119175122

Named Evil Deadpool. He's legitimately just made of pieces Deadpool left behind at certain points in his career. Some evil scientist put them together into one new "clone" of Wade Wilson.

I'm sure your direct question has been addressed, but I'm not recalling anything immediately offhand.

EDIT: Just saw Paul's post - this is the exact guy he was talking about, I believe.

What a second, Red Skull has Charles Xavier's brain?! Well sh*t. I've got some catching up to do.

I stopped reading halfway through Secret Wars to give the issues chance to build up, and I've obviously missed something pretty big here.

EDIT: Oh, and the Deapool question is something that I've through about myself. The answer seems to be that he can regenerate from whatever the comic needs him to regenerate from. It's kind of a Deus Ex Machina in that way, so if they wanted to have two Deadpools for some reason, it'd be perfectly plausible that they'd chop him in half and have him regen.

Hell, if they can have him regrow from just a hand after T-ray pees on it (honestly check out the initial run of Deadpool), and have him being constantly kidnapped, harvested for organs (that North Korea creates a knockoff bunch of X-men from) and mindwiped, then anything's fair game really.

To be honest, they've never explicitly explained his healing factor. In some stories it doesn't work too quickly, in others he can cut off limbs that instantly regrow. It literally is all a matter of whatever the writer needs him to be able to do. Actually, looking at it like that, Deadpool's healing factor is a bit of a cop out.

What a second, Red Skull has Charles Xavier's brain?! Well sh*t. I've got some catching up to do.

I stopped reading halfway through Secret Wars to give the issues chance to build up, and I've obviously missed something pretty big here.

EDIT: Oh, and the Deapool question is something that I've through about myself. The answer seems to be that he can regenerate from whatever the comic needs him to regenerate from. It's kind of a Deus Ex Machina in that way, so if they wanted to have two Deadpools for some reason, it'd be perfectly plausible that they'd chop him in half and have him regen.

Hell, if they can have him regrow from just a hand after T-ray pees on it (honestly check out the initial run of Deadpool), and have him being constantly kidnapped, harvested for organs (that North Korea creates a knockoff bunch of X-men from) and mindwiped, then anything's fair game really.

To be honest, they've never explicitly explained his healing factor. In some stories it doesn't work too quickly, in others he can cut off limbs that instantly regrow. It literally is all a matter of whatever the writer needs him to be able to do. Actually, looking at it like that, Deadpool's healing factor is a bit of a cop out.

I BELIEVE Daniel Ways' (terrible) run got pretty into his healing factor during the "Dead" story-arc, where DP tries to get himself killed. But I could be wrong. That story and run was so bad, I skipped around on it.

But yeah, regarding Red Skull, he's actually had Xavier's brain since late-2012. Remender's Uncanny Avengers run is where it began, and it ran through that Avengers/X-Men: Axis event from the Fall before Secret Wars. He still has his brain though, as shown in a recent issue of the current Uncanny Avengers volume (by Gerry Duggan).