Worst WrestleMania Match in History?

TPIB

The title of the thread really says it all. Of the 31 WrestleMania events in the record book, which WrestleMania match(es) do you consider to be the worst in the event's history? Since there are so many matches to choose from, I won't be doing a poll for this thread. Instead, I will list some of the matches that come to mind when I think of some of the worst WrestleMania matches.

Right off of the top, one has to consider the Sumo Match between Big Show and Akebono from WrestleMania 21 to be one of the worst and most ill-conceived matches in the event's history. Put aside for a moment the vomit-inducing sight of seeing both Akebono and Big Show in sumo gear, the match was just awkward. The only saving grace was that the match was short.

http://i.imgur.com/365DDUT.png?1

A more high profile match that has to be mentioned as one of the worst 'Mania matches is the match between Goldberg and Brock Lesnar from WrestleMania 20. I'm not just saying this because they were both leaving WWE at the time and the fans were less than kind regarding this fact, it just seemed like neither of them were really trying. In what was considered at the time to be a dream match, it just turned into an awkward, boring encounter where the best part was after the match when Stone Cold laid them both out with Stunners.

http://i.imgur.com/6IrbjNO.jpg?1

In the category of WrestleMania matches that should have never been booked in the first place is Vince McMahon vs. Bret Hart from WrestleMania 26. There was no redeeming quality about this match and it was just rough to watch. Especially considering Bret could not take any shots to the head. It was nerve-racking to watch as you genuinely had to hope that something didn't go wrong and Bret took a blow to the head.

http://i.imgur.com/EGGkndU.jpg?1

Now let's be honest. Just about every WrestleMania match involving a celebrity has been terrible (with the exception of Floyd Mayweather vs. Big Show at WrestleMania 24). Remember John Morrison, Trish Stratus, and Snooki vs. Dolph Ziggler & LayCool from WrestleMania 27? How about Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigelow from WrestleMania 10? They haven't had a celebrity compete in a match since WrestleMania 28, so let's hope WWE learned their lesson (though I doubt it).

http://i.imgur.com/qJvBR7f.jpg?1

So which WrestleMania match do you consider to be one of the worst matches ever?

Edited by TPIB

Big Show and A-Train against Taker in a handicap match which should have been a tag match but Nathan Jones could not be trusted to wrestle a crash test dummy and was pulled from the card.

It was plodding kick/punch time killing before a terrible run in and Taker somehow not getting DQ'd for it and picking up the win with a Chokeslam of poopiness on A-Train.

Awful.

Sid v Hogan as well. Eruuughh.

If that was the case they should never have booked him in a match in the first place knowing he couldn't do certain things, make him a ref or do a run in, no expectations then.

And I forgot about A Train/Big Show v taker that was a bad one also, but if Jones was in it, I think it would have been worse.

I agree, Brett should not have been in that ring.

Whilst it might have allowed a line to be drawn under Vince and Bret's previous ill feelings about a certain night in 1997, the fact is we cannot forget in this same time period they also allowed Bret to win the US title for some reason as well and various other matches where they had to dance around the fact that one blow to the head might have killed him.

Its a miracle that nothing bad happened and none of it should have happened at all.

If they wanted to make up for it why not just have Vince in a match and Bret as the ref and bret screwing vince over like he "did" to him (personally I don't buy into the screwjob)

Yeah it would be cheesy and predicatble but it would get the same reaction, and karma for both bret and Vince storyline wise would be balanced again in the wwe universe.

Yep, or have Bret sue Vince over it and try and take control of the company, having a wrestler take on his cause fighting Vince's own representative at Mania to settle it out of court.

Bret screws over Vince's heel, Bret gets control of the company for a month or so, Vince finds a way to claim it back but not before Bret hoofs him in the nads.

Job done.

Oh and the screwjob, if your sold on it or not, it happened. Why Bret had to cry about it for the next 100 years I don't know, after all he was leaving the company anyway, was getting MEGA bucks to wrestle for WCW and all but Owen (who decided to stay) in his extended family got deals in WCW into the bargain as well - plus it was him that wouldn't do business and caused the whole problem anyway.

Bret, stop being bitter. Also HBK was better.

Yeah that could have worked nicely also and would have had some legs and could have gone a while on that, similar like they did with flair.

Wcw couldn't book bret right though.

Two more mania matches have come to mind

The diva battle royal from 25 with santino

And undertaker v giant Gonzales

Two more awful matches for this thread.

because of brets health he was getting a certain benefit/insurance or something like that. he was told if he were to take any bumps it would be taken off him. they had to work around it.
lol, the match stank because Bret was washed up and a post-stroke victim and Vince isn't the type of guy to carry somebody. The lack of bumps in the match wasn't the issue, the issue was the entire layout and lack of psychology made it awful, along with both guys looking and moving like old fossils.

• 2 weeks later...
It's not even worst main-event, doros is calling it the worst WrestleMania match ever, which is ridiculous when the Natural Disasters and The Bushwhackers have competed at WrestleMania and we live in a world where Doink & Dink teamed up to face Bigelow & Luna, "The Brokeman" Bret Hart fought Vince ten years too late and Uncle Elmer v Adrian Adonis happened.