WWE RAW Discussion Thread - December 14, 2015 from Philadelphia, PA (#1177)

TPIB

http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com/images/shows/raw2012.png

When

United States: LIVE, Monday Night, Dec. 14, at 8/7c on the USA Network

United Kingdom: Tuesday Morning, Dec. 15, at 12AM on SkySportsHD3

Venue

Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, PA

Confirmed Matches/Events

WWE TLC Fallout

That can't have been the real plan though can it? That has to be WWE reacting to how badly things have gone down with the fans where they've turned 180 on Reigns simply because they loathe Sheamus as champion more?

Well, the plan is as always to entertain the fans, and in that respect they did what they are supposed to do.

Just take out the old 'I hate my boss, I hate authority, let me kick them where it hurts'. And after the reaction he got for taking out HHH, they probably figured let's put some more fuel on the fire and bring in Vince, the ultimate boss to hate.

It has worked in the past with guys like Austin and with DX so why not now.

I just hope they keep the momentum going, and take it to at least the RR, and cap it off at WM.

Maybe HHH vs Reings at WM?

Reigns V HHH is a terrible idea. HHH is NOT a marquee event, no one is paying to see HHH v anyone at this point. If we're getting Reign V anyone at WM that's a 4 month reign and they've realistically used the trump card of him showing up The Authority to get him over with the fans again. I'm not sure how you keep one of the most boring promo guys interesting for that long.

To my mind the only way to stop him losing the heat is to give him an enemy the crowd can't possibly cheer for and I don't think anyone on the roster carries that much heat themselves, it's all go home heat due to poor booking.

The plan from whatI have read on spoilers was to have Reigns and HHH at Mania but not for the title he was going to get that at Summerslam I think but because of all the injuries they have done this. If Trips wins at Mania that would make him 14 World Titles. Personally though I can't see it being a title match I think Sheamus will win the rematch at the rumble. So Reigns can wrestle HHH at mania.

I'd live with the next PPV being Reigns V Trips as long as it actually built Reigns up some. Have Trips actually shown up by Roman so he realises he's not going to be able to simply win it himself. They need to end this stupid cycle of having Trips turn up as the only solution to the babyface problem.

Certainly a reaction to the recent run of terrible ratings. A title change they could of done the previous evening at TLC had they just wanted to put the strap on Reigns.

Doing it the way they have done they've brought Vince back to TV and had a title change on Raw which is incredibly rare these days. Their only other real plan of attack would of been to throw Cena into the picture ahead of the Rumble.

They must have done a lot of plan changing since Rollins injury. I'm quite interested to see what they do heading into Mania now. I wouldn't mind seeing Lesnar win the Rumble & have Brock/Reigns II at Mania but it seems far more likely that The Authority will screw Reigns out of the title before then so we get Reigns/HHH at Mania

But the thing is HHH is just a paper tiger now. The only people he has beaten since 2011 are CM Punk in one of the worst booking ideas ever, Nash in a match no one cared about, Lesnar in an ego stroke and Sting in a debatable booking call but in a match no one wanted to see.

Taker beat him twice, Bryan beat him as well, Lesnar beat him twice, The Shield beat Evolution and he got tossed on his ass by Rousey as well.

Seen as Reigns has already destroyed him, took out their top heel stable by himself and looks like an unbeatable god right now then what chance, really, has HHH got of beating him even with Vince in his corner?

In fact really, who has a chance of beating Reigns at all given the way he has been booked in the last two months bar maybe... a returning heel Cena?

A man can dream.

I've not watched the show but will try and catch it to see how it went down. I was actually thinking about doing a thread on Reigns. With all his near wins I was thinking they were building him up for a win at Mania.

From the Wrestling-Online Newsletter:

VINCE MCMAHON = RATINGS

- Monday Night Raw rebounded big time in the ratings this week coming off the pay-per-view and the hyped appearance of WWE Chairman Vince McMahon. The show did a total of 3,884,666 average viewers, up significantly from last week’s 3,054,000. An additional 800,000 viewers tuned in to see the fallout from TLC. Hour one did 4,043,000 viewers, followed by a dip to 3,786,000 in the second hour, and then back up to 3,825,000 to see Roman Reigns win the WWE World Heavyweight title. This was the highest rated Raw episode overall since August 31 with hour one getting the most viewers since the June 15 show and the second and third hours with the most since August 31. (Ratings credit: ShowBuzzDaily.com)

I caught some of this. First Raw I've seen, I dunno, months at least anyway. I enjoyed a lot of it, but I skipped through a huge amount. What would be ideal would be if Raw was only, say an hour an a half or 2 hours, and they just filled it with all the important stuff and they put the jobber guys like Swagger and Bo Dallas on another show, maybe on another day and if people really wanted to see them they could tune in there. It could be like a B show or something. Wait a minute....

Seriously though. Roman was pretty good. I'm glad to see he's starting to get somewhere because he has always had the potential. At the Rumble 2014 I remember thinking the sky was the limit for him. He's just been battling shitty booking and creative for over a year and its really hurt him. Thankfully though, there is a saviour. A man who doesn't care that fans don't want to see him. A man who can turn even the most hated babyface into a crowd favourite through his own potent brand of go home heat. He is the white knight. He is Sheamus.

I don't know if its sheer dumb luck or genius on the part of WWE but I think they only person the fans wanted to see as the WWE Champion less than Roman was Sheamus, so Roman pinning him and taken it from him has actually got people behind him. Its been a booking mess since Seth went down but somehow by going the long way for a shortcut I think they have actually gotten to the right place.

Where they go from here though is anyones guess. I suspect even they don't know. Its hard to think they wont go Roman/HHH at some stage and I'd still have Mania as the most likely place for that. Lord knows how they get the belt of Roman for that though because no match would need to the title less. I still long for a Daniel Bryan return at the Rumble and inserting himself in the title picture but its starting to look like that ship has sailed and the longer he's off the more it seems his career might be over. Unless his comments hinting to that are all a swerve and he's actually coming back, in that case AWESOME, but I doubt it...

The way I would go, I'd have an Authority backed heel take the title from Roman at the Rumble, aided by HHH. Brock wins the Rumble and goes on to Mania to face said heel champion for the strap, freeing up Roman to face HHH in a non title match. The only problem with that is there isn't really a top heel to put the strap on going into Mania. Seth is out. Sheamus isn't anywhere near over enough and just isn't the guy. Guys like Del Rio and Rusev have been booked into midcard jobbers who aren't even close to being at the level they'd need. Orton is injured and had turned face anyway. Hmm... I wonder what Big Dave is doing with himself....

And then there's Cena. I can't see him being involved much to be honest. Turning him heel against Roman wouldn't work for me because the allignments would be all over the place. People would be so happy they'd end up cheering Cena and booing Roman and it would just be a mess. I think he'll just come back in the New Year, same old Cena and they'll do the 'Taker match.

Longest wrestling post I've made since about 2012 :lol:

What I find interesting about Roman winning the title on RAW is that they had the chance to do it at WWE TLC. The fact that they chose to do it on RAW shows you just how bad the show has been doing in the ratings lately.

Not only did they rescue the ratings (at least for now) with Roman's title win, but they have effectively tricked the fans. After nearly a year of doing whatever they could to get Reigns over as a face, it took Roman taking out Triple H, Mr. McMahon, and Sheamus' terrible title reign (which WWE had to suspect would be terrible) to finally get him over. Whether it lasts or not remains to be seen, but I would not be surprised if WWE intentionally put the belt on Sheamus back at Survivor Series knowing full well that the ratings would suffer as a result because they knew the payoff would be on RAW. It's possible that they wanted fans to hate Sheamus' reign as champion so much that Roman would look so much better by comparison. With that said, odds are WWE had no idea about any of this and just booked the title changing hands the day of WWE TLC or the day of RAW.

At this point, anything but Reigns vs. Lesnar at WrestleMania sounds like a waste to me. That is especially true of Reigns vs. Triple H. While a match between them is inevitable, having it at the biggest show of the year with the title on the line is not okay. Sure, they could probably work it into a non-title match, but not having the WWE Title defended at Mania also seems wrong. The best option here is to have Reigns vs. Triple H at the Royal Rumble or even at Fastlane. I could even get behind the idea of them doing the match on an episode of RAW. If they want to keep the ratings up then a match like this could be a way to do that.