How does NXT compare to ECW and ROH?

Jack

I just watched the latest NXT show and I was really impressed, yet again, and it got me thinking about whether NXT is this eras ECW or ROH and how well it compares to those top level indy companies. Both ECW and ROH were exciting, fresh products in an era when wrestling was stale and they delivered very high quality wrestling shows on a consistent basis, but surely the same could be said for NXT? They don't have the star names that the WWE main roster has but everyone who performs there is getting the absolute best of their ability, whether it's in the ring or out of it, and the storylines are fun too. It's not deviating from the tried and tested methods of pro-wrestling, it's just a really well booked, old school show with strong characters, simple but effective storylines and it results in a brilliant product.

Do you think NXT deserves the accolade of being the successor to ROH, as ROH was to ECW? Does the success of NXT give you hope that wrestling may be able to recover from this very long down period?

It definitely has that feel, especially with so much "indy" talent migrating there at the same time, plus having non-contracted wrestlers make one-off appearances.

As you said, the storylines are generally as basic as you can get, but it's the execution of the angles that make them work along with continuity being adhered to for the most part.

Archived