James Storm signs with WWE?

The Fury

Well, you probably all know by now, but if you don't, James Storm (retaining his ring name) debuted at the NXT tapings this week. His debut will be airing on October 21. WWE.com broke the news a couple of days ago and what is interesting to me is that the site acknowledges Storm as a "former heavyweight champion", which is interesting considering Storm was a World Champion in TNA and WWE typically doesn't make the smallest of references to that "other company".

I'm not very familiar with James Storm since I've not watched hardly any TNA, but I've heard good things. I find it interesting how WWE has been more lenient with letting wrestlers keep their independent or TNA names. Sure, Samoa Joe and James Storm are the only two who got to keep their names, but it's still a bit surprising coming from WWE.

I expect Storm to be filling a role in NXT like Samoa Joe and Rhyno have been filling; working with the younger talent while also getting a decent run with WWE. I would be interested to see James Storm appear on the main roster, but since the main roster is "Vince country", I wouldn't be surprised if we don't ever see Storm on RAW or SmackDown (unless it's a U.S. Open Challenge or something) and it might be better that way, honestly.

I think the guys that they don't expect to be on the main roster are getting to keep their names since WWE aren't expecting to be making lots of money on merch for very long or having to have them referred to TNa or other promotions. In NXT it's a boon to have some previous notoriety for the brand whilst vince is still seeing NXT as something not on his radar.

vince is still seeing NXT as something not on his radar.
That's why I was surprised to see him backstage at the NXT Takeover: Brooklyn show (on the WWE/24 documentary), although that could have simply been because he was in town for Summerslam anyway.