Euro 2016 Thread

Magic

Just a carry on topic from what jayfunk and magic were discussing. Top 2 in each group along with best 3rd place team qualify automatically. As it stands the following teams have qualified

France as hosts

England

Czech Republic

And iceland in their first ever major final

Wales and northern Ireland will qualify with one more win. Scotland need to win their last 3 realistically and Ireland the same but there could be some surprises as mentioned with Holland in serious danger of not qualifying and Croatia in the playoff territory.

So tell us what have you thought so far and who you expect will qualify.

its mainly there best players are ageing like Robben, Wesley, RVP they will not see another major tournament if they don't qualify for the euros, they have a number of good young players but not of the same quality, Depay being the best of them, but they need more and time for them to develop, but i was at the Iceland game once Robben was off the team lack an attacking threat and once Indi-Martins (who i have never rated) got sent off it was over for the win anyway. then Iceland got a pen which did it for them. As a Dutch and United fan i must admit they have a similar way of playing they have a bulk of the play but don't create the clear cut changes they need and don't finish the chances, hence depay had to play the rooney role in the iceland match and he did they same thing, full back into midfield leaving no one up front

Sorry for posting in the wrong place and thanks for creating this thread. I think I will be a regular in this thread.

Now apologies for everyone else from the UK other than Wales but this is the most excitied I have been in my entire life supporting the welsh national team. This will be the first time if we get the points required in my lifetime that Wales will be at a national tournament.

The future is bright for us, I'm excited for the world cup qualifiers too as I think we will get there which will be great.

If we qualify here though our first tournament since 1958, who we had a bale like player back then the late great John Charles may you rest in peace, look down and support us in the euro 2016 should we get through, cmon boys!!!!

Sorry to all other countries from the UK reading this but as a nation I believe we are excited :D

Sorry for posting in the wrong place and thanks for creating this thread. I think I will be a regular in this thread.

Now apologies for everyone else from the UK other than Wales but this is the most excitied I have been in my entire life supporting the welsh national team. This will be the first time if we get the points required in my lifetime that Wales will be at a national tournament.

The future is bright for us, I'm excited for the world cup qualifiers too as I think we will get there which will be great.

If we qualify here though our first tournament since 1958, who we had a bale like player back then the late great John Charles may you rest in peace, look down and support us in the euro 2016 should we get through, cmon boys!!!!

Sorry to all other countries from the UK reading this but as a nation I believe we are excited :D

My grandparents are Welsh, and over the past 5-6 years I've taken to following Wales over England. Went to Gary Speed's (R.I.P.) last game in charge against Norway, followed by the Costa Rica friendly in his honor.

Really think they'll do it this time. A couple of friends keep texting me saying it's "squeaky bum time" now after not beating Israel, but I'm fairly confident they'll get the result needed at Home to Andorra to secure automatic qualification.

Also, the people who call Wales a 1 man team are deluded. 416 minutes since they last conceded a goal I read earlier. Bale doesn't do that.

I am really excited about Wales as well but considering we have a habit of throwing it away after being in a great position see Mark Hughes for example. I will remain cautiously optimistic until it is clear will will win and then the scream will be heard round the UK.

I think people need to give more credit to Ashley WIlliams, Joe Allen, Chris Gunter and Neil Taylor who have also been excellent for Wales during this campaign.

The only thing that could hurt them is a lack of a striker to feed off Bale, Ramsey and Allen. Robson-Kanu works hard but neither he or Church is going to nick you a goal.

Still though if I where United I would throw a brick of money at Swansea for Williams, I really do rate him.

I think people need to give more credit to Ashley WIlliams, Joe Allen, Chris Gunter and Neil Taylor who have also been excellent for Wales during this campaign.

The only thing that could hurt them is a lack of a striker to feed off Bale, Ramsey and Allen. Robson-Kanu works hard but neither he or Church is going to nick you a goal.

Still though if I where United I would throw a brick of money at Swansea for Williams, I really do rate him.

That's a great shout. Everyone claims Wales are a one man team, and they're really not. As you say, lack of a proven striker is an issue, and I'd say probably a lack of depth. If there are any injuries to key men, I'm not so sure the backup is quite good enough.

• 4 weeks later...
Changing the manager won't make a difference. Scotland just aren't very good. They don't have a squad capable of qualifying for major tournaments. The fourth best team in that group finished fourth. Exactly where they should finish. Unrealistic expectations from fans. Would be surprised if they qualified for the World Cup. Might get a play off spot, but I wouldn't bank on it.

The qualification campaign was a game of two halves. First was brilliant with results and display and the second was piss poor.

We won't automatically qualify for world cup but we have a chance of playoffs. I wouldn't accept anything less than 2nd due to who we have grip wise.

I agree people are nuts about Strachan. I still think he can deliver but it's time to bring in newer younger talent and tell Alan Hutton to fuck off once and for all.

People don't seem to realise in the press that England are now a collection of just above average and average players with the odd good player like Rooney and Hart.

Just because we won a World Cup in '66 and got to the Semi's in '90 does mean we deserve to win every time we walk on the pitch. Hungry got to the final in 1954 and should have arguably beaten the German side they had already beaten in the group stages but they had a world class team with the likes of Kocsis and Puskas - they haven't had a side of that quality since.

It's the same with England, since 2006 we have not been blessed with the luck, timing and fortune to have a side of top quality individuals in every department and they under performed. In 1990 we had Shilton, Barnes, Butcher, Walker, Pearce, Robson, Waddle, Gazza, Lineker, Beardsley, Platt, Barnes - good to great players at the peak of their careers and several who had performed at the highest level at club and international level before. In 1996 we had Charlton, Moore, Banks, Peters, Greaves, Hunt, Ball, Hurst and Stiles who likewise where at their peak.

In 2015 we have Hart and Rooney but the rest of the team are average like Milner and Carrick or possible players for the future who will never prosper if not allowed to express themselves. Also we drip feed players in from the under-21 squad if they do alright in the EPL but we should look at Spain, Argentina, Germany and such, the most successful International sides of the last decade or so who bar one or two players kept the same side at U-19, U-21 and U-23 together and developed a style, cohesion and chemistry that our chop and change high pressure environment affected team lacks.

Edited by Evil Gringo

Congrats to Wales and Northern Ireland, fantastic performances in hard groups given the teams history to qualify for the party in France next year. Hopefully Ireland can do the same, either by seeing off Poland or through the play offs.

Interestingly enough, Wales didn't actually qualify for the World Cup in 1958, their last major tournament like they did for this one.

In '58 Israel won their group in qualifying by default as no middle eastern or African team would play them. Wales finished second in their group but with the best record of the runners up.

As FIFA didn't want to let a team into the tournament without playing, never mind winning a game, a two legged playoff between Israel and Wales was set up which the Welsh won - with Jimmy Murphy, United's assistant manager, managing the side. The day after they completed the second leg, the Munich air disaster occurred, with Murphy not being on the plane with the United squad because he was managing Wales and missed the tie in Belgrade which ultimately saved his life quite possibly.

So you could argue, that this side and its achievements far surpass that of the 1958 vintage because they qualified on their own merits from the group stage winning against a side like Belgium who on paper should have defeated them. Epic.

Danny Blind is going to get the shove I think tonight. Holland needed to win, at home, against the Czech Republic and then for Iceland to them a favour against Turkey but instead they are losing 3-1.

Maybe there was reason LVG switched to 3-5-2 with the Dutch and switching back to a 4-3-3 wasn't such a good idea?

So the Netherlands fail to qualify for the European Championships that has seen Wales and Northern Ireland make the finals. What a funny old world we live in.

All the home nations, (and probably the Republic too) will be there, except Scotland :lol :lol

Love it.

• 1 month later...