What's your unpopular Wrestling opinions?

bigmatt

What opinions about wrestling do you have that you believe aren't shared by a lot of other fans? It's not a big deal but just instances where your opinion doesn't match a lot of what other people think. Wrestlers you rate that others don't or angles or matches that others enjoyed but you didn't etc.

@TPIB gave me the idea when talking about Erick Rowan. The general consensus seemed to be that he was quite poor/green and that it was a clever idea to hide him with Harper and that he was good there but was always at risk of being exposed.

When I started watching, I saw the back end of him teaming with Harper which I really enjoyed but when they split him off I thought he was fine on his own (I thought the Wyatt's were better as a team, don't get me wrong and he was dead as a single, I'm talking about how he handled himself) and I really liked his babyface fire and thought his matches were fine. Even when a lot of people were burying him and he was coming out to silence.

How about you?

I've never liked Rey either, although I think with that one there seems to be a bit more of a fair split of love and hate. But with Eddie, I've never really come across someone who doesn't seem to love him. I wonder if there is a bit of appreciating him more because he's gone kind thing happening. A bit like how a music artists seem to go supernova if they die.

I dunno. Maybe I just hate Mexicans :lol:

(and I know they were both born in America, inb4 DC) :p

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I hate with a passion Bray Wyatt and his gang. I don't know though if it is a beard thing as I think the beards are ridiculous. I also hate Daniel Bryan's hair and beard he looks so much better either neatly trimmed or clean shaven. I also hate Adam Rose and Bryan Sexton and miss Lawler

I have no interest in the Divas revolution

I wonder how unpopular that is in general. I like the Divas revolution but i'm not massively interested in the angle itself. I'm happy that good female wrestlers are getting a chance but i'm still a long way from really caring about the division.... yet.

The main roster shows are giving them more time to wrestle, but not worked out that it wasn't just the time the NXT women got to wrestle that got them over. The characters were allowed to be more than just jealous and bitchy (which is the default mode for Divas on RAW / Smackdown), they were allowed to grow over time, form relationships with the fans and the other women, they had clear motivations and were treated as women who were wrestlers rather than women wrestlers.

It's a step in the right direction, but they need to get away from this mentality of woman can only be jealous, bitchy and love interests / rivals.

As for my own unpopular opinions; I really thought Mark Henry was a great World Heavyweight Champion and, for the current scene, think The Ascension are a great tag-team.

Not sure it's an unpopular opinion but its certainly Divas Revolution related - I think Charlotte Flair is terrible and I cant stand watching her in any context, whether it be wrestler or in a speaking segment. She's just god awful. Its a shame because I love Sasha and Paige, and the jury is still out for me on Becky (although she shouldn't speak), but Charlotte lets the team down for me.

I agree with what DC said in general about the way the "revolution" has been booked though. Its not as simple as giving them more time to do things, it has to be giving them more of the right things to do. They haven't done that, it may come with time, creative have gone so long without having to write women seriously that they were bound to be a little rusty. But I won't hold my breath that it'll improve. More likely they'll just blame the women for not getting over, cut the legs out from underneath them and we'll go back to what we had before, without actually taking time to figure out why they weren't getting over in the first place and realising that its not because they don't have the ability but because they are battling garbage booking.

I love Sheamus and have no idea why smarks seem to hate him. Randy Orton is one of my favourites to watch.

I have hated Kevin Owens' run on the main roster.

Ok, this one completely and utterly blows my mind. I've got dishes in the sink I'd rather watch seep than watch Sheamus and Orton in 2015.

Do you hate Owens, or the way he has been booked? Because I could definitely understand not loving the latter. I haven't particularly like it myself but I think its more down to creative rather than the man himself and with the right booking he could be great.

• Champion 1

I've got dishes in the sink I'd rather watch seep than watch Sheamus and Orton in 2015.

Sure, but that's not all of us - Ortons still one of the most talented upper level guys for performance value, and Sheamus is a fairly decent brawler...sure he's got the stupid mohawk now, and the mayonaisse look is always gonna look weird, but there are infinitely more folks than him I would say are worse to watch.

I really hate moves which have some unnecessary, unrealistic nonsense before them, a prime example being something like Van Dam's rolling thunder. These things serve no purpose and are purely designed to look more visually impressive and whilst that can be the case sometimes, like when I saw a clip of some Lucha wrestler walking all along the top rope before giving his opponent a hurracanrana, it's just unnecessary and has no place inside a wrestling match. I know I'm fighting a losing battle if I expect realism in 2015 but that still has to be part of wrestling otherwise it looks overly false. It's even worse when the fancy set up for the eventual move looks dreadful, like with Ambrose's clothesline. How the hell has nobody told him that it looks like shit when he does that? It's the type of thing which could probably look great if it was in a video game but in real life, it's not possible to pull off in a credible way. The slow way he bends down into the ropes, the way he slowly tips over and pulls himself back up and ducks under the top rope...ugh, it's just horrible. It's unnecessary and looks awful. If you watch guys on the Indy scene, you'll constantly see them doing some elaborate movement to spin their opponent upside down, left ro right, a couple of spins....and then it ends in a plain old suplex. What's the point? None, it's just overcomplicated for the sake of it.

The only exception I make for this is when you have guys like The Rock doing the Peoples Elbow. That's fine because it suited his character but it's something I really don't like about modern wrestling. It's like people have got bored of seeing the same old moves so the wrestlers decide to add things onto them to make them more interesting but I don't think it's needed and it's detrimental to the realism of the matches.

Jack I am the total opposite I am such a sucker for Rolling Thunder. Dudley's Whasup! move The Worm I loved the worm it was stupid but brilliant. Coast to coast is amazing I could go on and on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar7vkKi6Obk

I hated Ernest the cat Miller although loved his music. I am also probably one of the few people that loved Eric Bischoff and JBL (Wrestling God).

Must admit I loved the worm growing up. Same with the peoples elbow. Watching them now makes me cringe. The worm is nothing more than a chop to a guy laying down and the peoples elbow is an elbow drop. Ziggler does 10 of them in a row. I hate more than anything moves done poorly due to age mainly. Kanes chokeslam for example is terrible now. Big Shows as well. Show at least has replaced it with WMD (or whatever the big punch is called now) as his main finisher.

I hate Chavo with a passion. Dunno why just do. Christian as well (be gentle with the hate on this one). Also sick of seeing Jim Duggan.

Glad Im not alone in not being that impressed with Charlotte Flair @Magic.

• Like 1

I don't really mind The Worm and The Peoples Elbow because even though it's unnecessary, it's basically just taunting the opposition by messing around when they're down. I'm fine with that, although an elbow and chop shouldn't be legitimate finishing moves, but it's ones like Ambrose's clothesline or the Rolling Thunder that get me. What's the point in them? They're just flashy for the sake of it and I don't like that, I think everything should have a reason behind it rather than just being to impress the crowd...with a forward roll, in Van Dam's case.

My opinion on Van Dam is probably unpopular. I think he's an awful wrestler and always has been. I can see the attraction with his flippy nonsense but the guy is useless at anything other than being thrown around by someone like Lesnar. I'd pay to watch him get squashed by power wrestlers like Vader, Steiner, Goldberg, Lesnar etc. but that's about all he's good for. Rubbish wrestler, awful promo and an annoyance.

I get where Jack is coming from; the People's Elbow and The Worm have the extraneous preamble as part of the move as a piece of showmanship, thus actually add to the move overall, whereas Dean's rebound and RVD's roll end up slowing down the momentum of the move they are trying to do.

When Ambrose does it on the floor where he spins onto the apron and comes back, it works fine, but having to awkwardly duck down under the ropes when you're as tall as he is just saps any momentum from the move. Xavier Woods' rolling Honor Roll clothesline is the same.

I don't like Sting.

I just don't. His matches, even in his prime, when he wasn't in there with a good worker where boring Press Slam and Scoop Slams with the odd chinlock before the Sting Splash and the Deathlock. His crow run at first was a good story but the matches, again due to the calibre of talent he was in the ring with and his own talent, where boring.

His impact finisher is a sloppy reverse DDT, his holier then thou stance hypocritical and grating and his whole 'legend' or 'icon' legacy is just based on the combination of hype and being somewhere for a really long time.

Someone please tell me a match that Sting had, that was actually excellent, that didn't involve Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Mick Foley or Vader in some capacity. Please.