NFL 2015/16

Eddie

The new season is on the horizon, I'm in my usual routine of watching various Americas Games episodes!

Any thoughts or feelings on the upcoming season?

I'm thinking Colts vs Packers in the Super Bowl but In my heart and hopes and dreams I'm thinking my team The Vikings are going to have a good one this year!

Just in general wondering who you're all rooting for and who you're thoughts on what's coming.

I like a lot of teams the oddest thing is my favourite three teams are the Vikings the Packers and the Bears :lol

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not had a chance to really follow much pre season stuff so not sure who's looking hot and who's looking not so, but I assume all the usual suspects to be there or there abouts. Seattle are the bookies favourites but if I was making a predicition I'd be happy to go against them, although who with I'm not so sure.I think the Colts will have a good season, especially with Luck now having a good couple of seasons under his belt in theory he should only get better.

Don't expect my Ravens to go particularly close, would be happy to make the play offs. Bring it on.

Well that was an awful day at the office for us, some good weeks though I expected more from the Colts but the Bills were fantastic.

In the battle of the rookie 'superstars' Mariota was the clear winner with four, FOUR! First half touchdowns and not one interception. He looked calm and didn't really make many mistakes considering it was his first game. Winston on the other hand looked much less comfortable a couple of interceptions, the first was his first pass in the NFL.... Not a great start but the pass protection was AWFUL by the Buccs all day!

I really enjoyed the Rams vs the Seahawks too that was a great game to watch as a neutral, Wilson was hit a fair few times though and the air born offence wasn't dealt with as well as usual but the Kam Chancellor debacle can't be helping!

I've invested in Game pass so I can actually watch a lot more football it's not cheap but you can get it weekly for £9.99 which seems expensive but is well worth it for certain weeks

Green Bay where okay but need to stiffen up the run defence once more and at times really did look like they where missing Jordy Nelson.

The Giants v Cowboys was a gripping but the game of the weekend was last night as the Eagles faced the Falcons and it went down to the wire. For all their supposed Super Bowl expectations the Eagles secondary was shredded by Julio Jones, Murrary lacked production and whilst Bradford provided yards he couldn't give them TD's whilst Foles marshalled the Rams past the Seahawks in another stunning seesaw battle.

Decent game last night between the Chiefs and the Bronco's that was decided and dominated by the defences of both sides.

Manning threw for his first two TD's of the season and hit 70,000 career yards (he needs 1,838 more to catch Farve) but playing under centre rather then in the pistol or shotgun doesn't suit him and he is taking more hits the an old QB with bad mobility and a dodgy neck should be taking. Kubiak needs to sort that out, even if it does remove a few play action options.

But the Denver D continues to get better, forcing two rare fumbles out of Jamal Charles, the second of which was scooped up by Denver and returned for the winning touchdown in a tight ass game,

Kubaik is not that smart of a head coach.... he is presented with 1 of if not the greatest QB's to ever play the game, and he wants to run the ball more??? Going into half time Manning was not under center... Manning was throwing quick passes and able to look over the defense and 2 TDs in 4 minutes... the half time reporter asked Kubaik and his answer was "we need to run the ball more". WTF!!!!

HEY COACH KUBAIK WE HAVE SOME GREAT PRIME RIB OVER HERE....

NAH IT'S COOL I'M GONNA EAT THIS CAN OF DOG FOOD...

swallow your ego... let Manning throw and make the right decisions from the field, you just stand there and take care of the other things.

Its about the right situations and setting up the run. I get what he means in a sense that they cannot be too one dimensional and expect Manning to beat teams on his own because he isn't that good anymore, he is still good but not awesome.

Not only that, due to Manning's age and growing psychical limitations he does need a lighter work load and the run is the answer, in some situations but he has to be honest, Ronnie Hillman and C.J. Anderson are not the answer as Anderson will get banged up and Hillman is fumble prone and only averages around 3 yards a carry. They need a better back up HB or just a better starter before they can justify being a mixed offense or even a run first team.

As you've pointed out, Manning knows how to call plays, read a coverage and run an offense - Kubaik should let him do that and look after the overall picture because this is probably the last year he'll have Peyton and I doubt they have the cap room and the picks in them to make a move and get an elite quarterback to replace him (it already cost them Julius Thomas to free agency) - its this year or bust for the Super Bowl in Denver and they need to play Manning's strengths to get there.

Starting him under centre is a bad idea, with the receiving core still retaining Sanders and Thomas with Owens at tight end they should still look to pass first from the gun and then run counter and misdirection players on the run from that position. Still can't believe they let Moreno go after the first season as well.

Busy old Sunday so far....

New England are doing to the Bills what they usually do, beat them up and spit them out. It's currently 34-13 to the Pat's with Brady throwing three TD's, 37 out of 42 for 340 yards with a quarter or so left to play.

Dean will be upset as Tampa are chewing up the Saints at the Superdome, which if it carries on will be their fourth straight loss at home.

The Bears are getting beaten at home by the Cardinals which will cheer Boyo up. Cutler completed all his pass attempts until just before half time when he threw an interception and then injured his hamstring stopping it being returned for a TD.

Oh and the Steelers are kicking the crap out of the 49er's which always makes me smile.

Big games still to come with the Cowboy's v the Eagle's and then my beloved Pack host a team I hate, the Seahawks.

Oh dear, so many problems in this Eagles v Cowboys game.

Romo got sacked and broke his collar bone, but the Cowboys are 13-0 up due to a couple of field goals and a TD off a blocked punt. On top of that Dez Bryant has screwed up his knee so it's game management time, but with no Murray they can't lean on the run as much as they'd like.

On the flip side the Eagles for all the talent in the tight end, wide out and running back position suck in the guard and tackle positions in their offensive line. As a result Murray and Sproles are getting no joy in the running game, Bradford is under pressure and even when he's getting some clean looks he is looking like a man who spent last year on the sidelines and missing throws.

For a side that looked so good during preseason and who on paper should have a great offence the Eagles are under performing big time. Murray being let go by the Cowboy's could go either way still but no running back, with as many carries as he had the year before has bounced back and had another 1,000 yard season ever in the NFL and tonight he has -9 rushing yards.

It's not Payton though Dean, it's the guys above him who have done nothing to rebuild the side after the Super Bowl win and then have made some bone headed moves that have weakened the side.

For instance Jimmy Graham is the 2nd best tight end in the NFL after Gronk and Brees primary receiver.... the GM traded him for some defensive players who where 2nd string at Seattle and now Brees, already short on weapons and declining as a QB, has lost his best chance of winning games for you.

My lot up in Green Bay beat Seattle, a team I loathe, 27-17 thanks to some great work by the defence in the fourth quarter to force an interception and a fumble on Seattle's last drive that decided the fame.

Aaron Rogers finally had a big game against the Seahawks defence as well, in the 4th he threw 9, completed 9 and made 91 yards as well as a TD. Green Bay 2-0!

The side maxed out its cap room and allowed the team to regress, was reaching its peak as you won the Super Bowl and have continued to squeak the Southern division which has prevented you from having good pick options and the management have failed in free agency and in trades.

Then again if its any consolation Deano, the Saints sucked before Brees came into town anyway, your just reverting back to type.

This season just shows how much most of the sides that have had success in the past six or so years have by and large coasted whilst those on the verge of breaking in seem to be getting stronger and have benefitted from the hunger that comes with the lack of success.

New Orleans, 49er's, Seattle, Ravens, Giants - all look shadows of them former selves whilst teams like the Falcons, Panthers, Cardinals, Chiefs and the Bills look to be getting better and better and building something. Even Oakland look like they have the seeds of a side that in a few years, with careful nurturing rather the previous smash and grab in free agency could be good. Even the Vikings, with Peterson back and more consistent QB play look stronger.

Then there are the sides like the Bears, Lions, Titans, Bucs and Browns who are still trying to rebuild and find themselves with various degrees of success whilst teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Bronco's and Eagles have put it all in one basket and relying on certain big players to get the job done - which in the Cowboy's case, seen as Bryant is out and Romo too is a bad sign.

Then at the moment you have the perianal team builders in the Pack and New England who have one or two stars but also have people who know exactly what their job is, what the team is about and how it is more of a machine that just keeps on rolling and so far have looked the strongest of the two sides - although it does help they have the two top QB's in the league at the moment too.

Those two are the teams that the Saints, Ravens, Seattle, Giants and 49er's should have taken their cue from, the careful scouting, the clever use of the draft, the molding of people to the scheme and organisation but they haven't - they just throw money at someone that has a few games on a hot streak, hoping they are the future and then sit back and cry when the law of diminishing returns kicks in and those players cost on their fat new contracts - just like Wilson, Knaperneck, the Giant's pass rush, Joe Flaco and the Saints Defence have done.

That Cowboy's side was so injury hit, if you hadn't of beaten them then it was time to burn down the Superdome and call it a day. Still hard to see you guys catching the Panthers and the Falcons and making the playoffs but hopefully it gives you a bit of a platform to get some pride back and at least get to .500 this season.

But then again, with the way the side is, I'd want to suck, get the last place and get the first draft pick and begin rebuilding, which is what the Saints desperately need.

The Pack went 4-0 last night, grinding out a 17-3 road win over the 49er's who look a shadow of their former selves once more. Too many changes on defence have stunted them, the loss of Gore was a bigger one then they will admit and Kaepernick keeps on coughing up turnovers.

So far only the Falcons, Bengals, Packers, Panthers, Broncos and Patriots are unbeaten (all 4-0 bar the Pat's who are on a bye week) and bar the Panthers and Falcons who are in the same division, you'd fancy the rest to win theirs and make the play offs with at least 11 wins the way they are playing at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Atlanta, New England, Bronco, Bengals, Panthers and my mighty Packers are the only unbeaten teams still although, whilst the other four teams are equally reliant on their defence and offense and working in harmony the Bronco's are still just off on offense.

J-Rock wherever he is should be happy though, the Giants saw off the 49er's and are currently top of the NFC East as the Cowboy's (who are still without Bryant and Romo) have slipped in recent weeks.

The Eagles finally looked half decent, but only because they where playing the Saints who just keep on giving away penalties. They get a big play on offense, flag and back we go, get a pick or force a fumble on defence and boom, another flag and back we go.

If the season carry's on like this, I only its only five games in, but I can't see past a Packers v New England Superbowl.

And lost everything else :p. Including to the Browns. THE BROWNS!

The Steelers win with the last play of the game last night made me jump up, scream, and run around my room simultaneously. Turns out it was all a bit weird though, the referees didn't stop the clock on the final kick off to the Steelers and we should have had an extra 18 seconds to run that drive.