Another Nightmare Remake

pheadley

http://www.empireonline.com/images/uploaded/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-3-dream-warriors.jpg

Five years on from the Platinum Dunes remake with Jackie Earle Haley, studio New Line is planning to resurrect Freddy Krueger again, with another new Nightmare On Elm Street. Toby Emmerich will be among New Line's producers, while David Leslie Johnson will write the screenplay.

The Michael Bay-produced 2010 remake turned a profit but enthused nobody, even though Haley made a decent fist of it. Music video director Samuel Bayer's film toyed with the interesting idea that Freddy was actually innocent, and therefore wrongly murdered by the Elm Street parents. But it bottled it at the end and said Freddy did it after all. If he's innocent there's no reason for him to have the glove anyway, so despite seeming like a game-changing notion it doesn't actually work. Bayer hasn't directed a film again since.

Details of this new Elm Street's approach are under wraps at the moment, but with Halloween,Friday The 13th and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre all at various stages of journeys to new instalments, it was probably unthinkable that the fourth of "modern" horror's big four wouldn't be back at some point too.

His immediate problem will be finding an angle that doesn't feel like the same story yet again. And for New Line there's again the difficulty of re-casting - unless Englund or Haley return...

I enjoyed the remake and would be interested in seeing Haley return (Englund is probably too old for it now and as they're trying to go forwards, that would be a step backwards, as good as he was as Freddy - even if some of the Englund-era Nightmares were really bad).

• 2 weeks later...
After the 3rd nightmare it transcended into horror comedy and I loved every second of it. I enjoyed the remake and just hope they dont do another origin story as it would just be overkill. Everyone who has ever watched a nightmare knows the origin story. Just move the franchise along with an original story please New Line.

Yeah the horror comedy was pretty entertaining once it got past number 3.

What I will always remember nightmare on elm Street for is its unique kills, ones like the puppet kill and the TV one, were just so unlike everything else up until that point, add in a punchline from Freddy and everyone goes home happy haha.

Archived