The Championship 2015/16

King

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not looking forward to this season at all. I highly suspect Rossler thinks he can play football one way but the teams no there to do it and I doubt him as a manager. On top of that Cellino has effectively sacked Redfearn who was managing one of the most successful academies in the league. All optimism is gone, I want Cellino out and unless Uwe proves everyone wrong him as well.

I think we'll end up around 15th - 17th maybe, possible scraping relegation. I just feel we've got great young players who need time to bed into the team and step up to the championship. We need to have some experienced english league talents and if Cellino wants to add a few imports then that's fine, we need a manager who actually knows how to pull a team up by the socks like a big Sam or a Mick McCarthy and then in 2 seasons really be thinking about being in place to challenge for the playoffs proper. It won't happen and I'd put money on Rossler being gone by Xmas, a new nobody coming in and we end up where we ended up last season. Italy you can fuck about in, money can really keep a team above their station, the championship is full of the hungriest players desperate for a chance at the prem. It can take a team full of decent players at a team like Bournemouth and turn them into league champions and team Ipswich with real finance behind them and make them fail to get to the playoffs.

I'm not overly excited for this season, we've lost a big creative player in Tom Cairney from the heart of the team (great guy too genuine and down to earth) which leaves us with more defensive minded players but not of the same caliber as Tom. I'm hoping they shore up the defence as they've been the biggest weakness the last two seasons.

So far we still have the best striker in the league ( and all top flights for that matter) in Jordan Rhodes and the very Effective Rudy Gestede who capitalised on teams focusing on Rhodes last season as they both notched 20 goals last term! My worry is that we'll lose either of them and then we'll just struggle to score.

Marshall was a force for the first half of the season and Conway had bursts of good form but I just don't think the consistency is there and there definitely isn't a great deal of it at the back, I'm hoping were covering that with two defensive mids but we'll see.

Our signings are two players from France who I don't know much about similar to Dabo who didn't exactly set the world alight when he was here did he!

I can see us dropping 4-10 places this season :(

Yeah I thought it was a pretty crappy move considering we've been in and around the playoffs for two seasons and the fact he's annoyed we rejected 12 million for him which I think is fair enough because of McCormack goes for 11-12 million Rhodes is worth a few million more.

Hoping if he leaves it's for £14 million and that we don't let Rudy go as well £7 or not! No strike force but £21 million in the bank? no thanks

I mean McCormack was not worth that and Rhodes isn't worth 14M. McCormack was worth maybe 5-6m and I'd rated Rhodes at no more than 8m. That's the championship these days though, people willing to shell out stupid money like it was the prem.

Rhodes was worth 8 million when we bought him and now he's worth £14m at least, he's consistently reached 20 or more goals per season and it's not the championship it's football in general that's raising the prices. For me if Sterling is costing £50 million then Rhodes is worth £14m and then some, the amount of money promotion grabs now, you can accept 20 goals are worth £14 million especially for a team like Boro.

We'll just disagree then, he's not worth that money in my books. It may take that money to get him sold but he's not worth it in and of himself, he won't change 'Boro into a winning team overnight on his own. Would I like to see him in my team? Of course and if we paid 14M for him then I'd put up with it but he'd still be massively overpriced. Sterling is quite obviously over-priced so it's not really a justification for anyone else.

My general rule of thumb is no championship player is worth more than 10M and they'd have to be the Messi of second tier football to warrant that.

My point is that football has ridiculous prices obviously I haven't made it that clear. What I was meaning is that with prices so high it's acceptable at least in my eyes to expect that amount for that player.

For me I think we should have got him for 5 million and sell him now at 8 like you said he's worth but in terms of the ridiculous pricing of footballers it's about right

I guess we're talking about different values! :D I mean, yeah, 14M is probably what it takes to get him. It's probably about as much as I'd need to sleep with Jet form Gladiators but afterwards I'd still feel a little cheated.... ;)

Don't sell yourself short Megz I reckon now with ageing and the career not really bustling you could haggle it down to £10 million which leaves four spare which will most likely take your mind of that feeling of cheating :lol
  • Like 1