Jushin "Thunder" Liger to appear to wrestle at the next NXT Takeover

DC

Credit: Uproxx

Jushin ‘Thunder’ Liger Is Set To Compete At NXT Takeover: Brooklyn

BY DAVID D. • 07.16.15

#PRO WRESTLING #WWE #WWE NXT

So, you know how every comic book has an arc where the heroes go to the future and we get to see all the crazy things that could be going on with our favorite characters? Like, oh, look, Storm and Wolverine are in love in Days Of Future Past…wacky! Well, I imagine a storyline in which every wrestling fan from 2003 is brought to 2015 and we learn that HHH is running the best Indie promotion. It’s hard to wrap my brain around.

Via WWE:

A legend in his home country of Japan, Liger is an innovator of the high-flying, hard-hitting style that defined cruiserweight wrestling. A true aerial artist, he is not only credited with the invention of the Shooting Star Press, but is also a dangerous striker, known for his devastating shotei palm strikes.

He brought that style to America in the early 1990s with WCW, where he captured their Light Heavyweight Championship from Brian Pillman on Christmas 1991. Liger and Pillman went on to have a classic battle at SuperBrawl II that is regarded as one of the best cruiserweight matches ever. Liger returned to Japan for several years before coming back to WCW for the debut episode of Monday Nitro in 1995, again squaring off with Pillman in a thrilling affair.

A decorated champion in Japan, Mexico and the United States, Jushin “Thunder” Liger will appear in WWE for the first time ever at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center on Saturday, Aug. 22.

His opponent? Tyler Breeze.

He could wrestle Mojo Rawley and I’d be dying to see it.

Plus it doubles up the "promoting" for NJPW by having their guys across the two "big" shows taking place on the Saturday night. Especially if NJPW get namedropped on NXT again. I imagine they've already had a bunch of people tracking them down off the back of the recent Finn Balor videos alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Apollo Crews (the former Uhaa Nation) will be making his debut on the show.

Confirmed matches on the card are -:

Apollo Crews debut

NXT Tag Team Championship Match: Blake & Murphy v The Vaudevillains

Tyler Breeze v Jushin "Thunder" Liger

NXT Championship Match: Finn Bálor v Kevin Owens

Bayley v Shasha for the NXT Women's Championship seems certain, while there is a chance Finn / Owens could end up being a Ladder Match.

Apollo Crews (the former Uhaa Nation) will be making his debut on the show.

Confirmed matches on the card are -:

Apollo Crews debut

NXT Tag Team Championship Match: Blake & Murphy v The Vaudevillains

Tyler Breeze v Jushin "Thunder" Liger

NXT Championship Match: Finn Bálor v Kevin Owens

Bayley v Shasha for the NXT Women's Championship seems certain, while there is a chance Finn / Owens could end up being a Ladder Match.

A chance? It will be a ladder match.

This should be a damn good match - we've seen Breeze show his ability to wrestle good matches with Itami but he best prepare to take a pasting because Liger works tight, hits hard and puts on a damn good show even now.

Hopefully this opens up some channels for the likes of KUSHIDA, Ibushi or the like to come over to NXT as well for a one off too - Imagine Ibushi v Itami. I know it happen back in NOAH but that was when Ibushi was younger and more flippy floppy then he is now - the rematch now has the potential to be some much better.

Back from fantasy dream land booking though, I imagine they'll have Breeze go over but damn I can't wait for Liger to Shoeti him in the face.

They did it with Rhyno, they did it with Joe, both aren't exclusive NXT guys and they are doing it with Liger now - giving NXT it's own vibe and doing what HHH seems to really want to do - building it up as its own brand and entity.

Right now it feels like a big Indy in a way maybe even as close to an ECW type feel (at least live crowd and in ring action wise) as we've had in a long time. Bringing in some more names for one offs will only help further NXT in that regard and if they can put over some of the young talent then much the better.

I love that T Shirt I wonder where I can get one from. I will try my eBay wrestling shop and see if they have one in.

I thought it might be one of those that's only gonna be sold at the show since it's got the date on the back and everything (a bit like the original CM Punk "Best in the World" shirt), but they've got them for sale on WWEshop.com, so I imagine it'll be readily available in most of the usual places.