HUGE NEWS - The Mexican government will be providing free healthcare to wrestlers

DC

Credit: Uproxx

The Mexican Government Has Signed A Historic Deal To Provide Healthcare For Pro Wrestlers

BY DANIELLE MATHESON • 07.16.15

President of Mexico City Wrestling El Fantasma and Mexican Health Secretary Dr. Armando Ahued Ortega have just signed a historic agreement that could change the entire wrestling industry in Mexico. Professional wrestlers in Mexico (and their families) will now be covered by a medical social insurance program. Via Fightnetwork.com:

“I am big fan of wrestling, I think this is an intense but also a risky sport. The knocks and blows affect them bit by bit, so it is very so important for them being covered by free medical expenses,” said Ahued.

Dr. Ahued also explained that this insurance will give wrestlers and their families access to clinics and hospital where they will be able to have medical tests including x-rays, MRIs, surgery, lab studies, and medical attention.

El Fantasma was overjoyed at the news:

For me, the most important factor is the physical integrity and well being of our colleagues. This is a great achievement we have been looking for since wrestling’s inception. Thank God it has finally happened.

It’s estimated that this program will cover roughly 5000 workers and their families. I can’t state enough how incredible this news is. In a business where pro wrestlers who work for billion dollar American company aren’t provided basic health insurance, not to mention the independent wrestlers who have to cover their own (and often don’t), the idea that these things would be covered is amazing. The dangers of in-ring work are more than apparent, and a lot of workers end up losing their careers because they’ve ignored/worked through injuries they absolutely shouldn’t simply because they can’t afford to get them taken care of. It’s terrible and incredibly dumb, but it’s also been done for so long that nobody thinks twice about it. Let’s hope this helps set a better precedent, because the way things have always been in wrestling isn’t always the greatest of ideas.

Not in Mexico.

Seriously though, in the UK, unless you have private health insurance (and to get a policy that will cover wrestling-related injuries could get pricey), you have long waiting lists for treatment on the NHS, so it's not ideal if you want to get checked, repaired and be back in the ring to make money.

Yeah, what DC said. And the second you mention to an insurer that you wrestle, the premium on your cover goes through the roof.

I actually had an insurer who knew what they were doing, and actually asked how long I'd been training and how often I wrestled to work out a proper premium price for me. More often than not though, UK insurers just see it as a huge liability and expect you to pay £30-£40 a month just for insurance.

Good on Mexico for making something like this happen, it can only be good thing for workers in that country.

And again, not everything would be free, only certain treatments. After extensive waiting times. And dependent upon the injury, the waiting time can have an adverse effect on your recovery.

But something tells me you're just being argumentative for the sake of it, so I don't even know why I'm bothering again.

Waiting list or not it's free
Even if every single thing known to man was free in the UK, the Mexican wrestlers are not in the UK, so your point has no real value to the thread.

Lucha Libre is so revered in Mexico that the government has done something momentous and they deserve to be applauded for it.

Archived