WWE concussion lawsuit

bigmatt

Matt Borne's family is the latest to join the concussion-related lawsuits against WWE. The news article referred to him as the late Matt Borne. I hadn't realised he was dead.
He died two years ago after an accidental overdose of morphine.

The lawsuit from his family is to seek compensation (to the tune of US$10 million) for the damage wrestling in WWE did to him. WWE is on the only defendant listed, which could actually hurt their case seeing as how he wrestled more outside of WWE than he did in it and screams "money grab".

Some would say that as WWE is the only prominent promotion still in existence, it makes sense to have them as the only defendant, but he wrestled in ECW, so Paul Heyman comes in there, while I'm sure a slick lawyer could find a way to draw Time Warner in to it, even on a flimsy basis.

As much as the schedule was rough in WWE, to lay the blame of what happened to a known drug abuser at the feet of a promotion he had ONE match in over the TWENTY YEAR period prior to his death (and even then, that was the Legends Battle Royal at the RAW 15th Anniversary Show) is ridiculous.

He was Doink when the character turned face in September 1993, but then left / was fired (depending on who you believe). Apart from that Battle Royal, he did nothing in WWE between then and his death, so I can't see how this lawsuit has a chance of being won.

Looks like WWE is getting proactive on this as more names seem to be joining in:

WWE has filed a lawsuit in Connecticut earlier this week against Thomas Billington (The Dynamite Kid), Robert Windham (Blackjack Mulligan), James Ware (Koko B. Ware) and Oreal Perras (Ivan Koloff) after the company received letters from attorney Konstantine Kyros threatening that he will file lawsuits against WWE over old injuries.

WWE is trying to get a federal judge to block the lawsuits from these individuals who claim they have suffered long-term health problems from concussions they received in the ring. The company claims that the allegations are fraudulent and barred because of a three-year statute of limitations on such claims in Connecticut.

The same attorney is representing Billy Jack Haynes, Vito LoGrasso, Nelson Frazier Jr, and others who have filed identical lawsuits against WWE. Kyros started shopping for clients on the Internet last year through the website wweconcussionlawsuit.com.

“Our Law Firm wants to speak to former/retired WWF/WWE Wrestlers interested in joining the lawsuits being brought against the WWE for ignoring the health and safety of its athletes. We may be able to help you and your family recover medical expenses, obtain long term care and prevent this from happening to future athletes,” the website reads.

Interesting to note is that two of the names being sued – Windham and Ware – are WWE Hall of Famers.

WWE is obviously denying any wrongdoing and will be fighting any lawsuit of this nature.

You can read the full lawsuit in this PDF.

(Wrestling-Online Newsletter)

– WWE issued the following to us tonight to go with the AP storythat we reported on earlier:

WWE Defends Against False Allegations

“WWE filed a lawsuit in Connecticut to protect the company from a series of fraudulent claims made by a Massachusetts attorney regarding alleged concussion-related injuries. A few examples of such false allegations from this lawyer include:

· Claims in two different federal courts that five individuals died prematurely due to head injuries when in fact all five individuals are alive today.

· Falsely stating that an individual’s years of performance with WWE spanned 22 years from 1985 through 2007, when in fact the individual performed for only 2 years (1985-1986 and 1992-1993) and made one appearance in 2007.

· Alleging that head injury led to the death of a morbidly obese former performer who died of a heart attack years after last performing for WWE.

· A claim that an individual suffered from deafness allegedly due to head injury when said individual has publicly stated that he was deaf since birth.

· Claiming that head injury led to the accidental drug overdose of a former performer over 20 years after he last performed.

It is unfortunate that some former performers have been improperly recruited under the guise of a big ‘pay day’, and we feel badly that these individuals are being misled and exploited.”

Interesting...

I wonder how many time that's actually happened? In reality even someone like DB it's likely a build up of injuries from time spent outside the WWE. I'd be happy to see a list of careers ended in WWE through injury, I genuinely don't think it;d be that many. People sometimes have to retire because of injury but as I said, it;s rarely just one injury, with serious consussion being probably the only real exception.

So yeah, you've managed to find one. I'm not saying it doesn't happen Jay, I'm saying that as a thing you think it's so important for a wrestling company to do it's probably only a handful of wrestlers careers that could be conclusively ended in a WWE ring from a single injury. Chris Nowinski would be the other one I can think of and they kept him on for ages which you could consider to be a kind of pension and also gave him the platform to move on to his current job.

I'd have thought that proper medical coverage would have been more important so hurt talent gets properly well.

Personally many other athletes suffer from work related injuries, for example John Terry got kicked in the head during the 2007 Carling Cup Final and suffered a concussion from which he doesn't remember the events of the match. So the point is I don't remember Terry raising a case against Chelsea, Arsenal, Carling or the FA.......because it's a work related injury. A Concussion good or bad a wrestling related work injury, unfortunately it happens

Personally many other athletes suffer from work related injuries, for example John Terry got kicked in the head during the 2007 Carling Cup Final and suffered a concussion from which he doesn't remember the events of the match. So the point is I don't remember Terry raising a case against Chelsea, Arsenal, Carling or the FA.......because it's a work related injury. A Concussion good or bad a wrestling related work injury, unfortunately it happens

That's completely spurious though, Chelsea paid for all the medical treatment for Terry.

Do they f*ck. They pay for rehab because they have to these days for PR but wrestling has always generally made wrestlers pay for their own bills. Your average company couldn't afford it and WWE probably just doesn't want to pay for it. I can see a point where they might pay for some parts of healthcare (something like Kidd's neck injury for instance) but they aren't going to pay to rehab a torn ligament or something like that.

Yeah, don't forget these guys are still basically independent contractors, albeit without the luxury of being able to take their trade elsewhere because of WWE's monopoly on the upper end of the wrestling business. As such the wrestlers (especially those lower down the card) pay for their own medical, travel, and a bunch of other stuff.

Realistically, it's totally sh*tty of WWE to sign folks up to exclusive contracts and then not offer anything in the way of medical coverage, but when you're the main show in town and nobody else even looks like getting close to being competition, what are you gonna do other than suck it up, grin and bear it?