Why Do Fans Put Up with Lackluster WWE Booking?

TPIB

Let me preface this by saying that I am still a fan (though not as big of a fan as I used to be), so I am including myself in the "fans" category.

Modern day WWE has its moments here and there, but the bulk of WWE programming is just boring, predictable angles and matches. The creative team is content rehashing the same old angles time and time again instead of coming up with anything new or exciting. It's been argued and discussed to death among the online community for quite some time, but this thread is about the fans in the arena. Why do they put up with such lackluster booking?

When it comes to the live crowds, it seems like the fans just want to be part of something no matter if they truly enjoy it or not. Outside of the overuse of the "This Is Awesome" chant (which used to be something special to show appreciation for a classic match, but is now used for any match with a false finish), it seems like fans are just buying into what WWE is selling. It seems like the independence that fans used to show is fading away. Look at Roman Reigns for example. Remember when he practically got booed out of the building at the Rumble? Now fans are starting to cheer him? Why? Because WWE put him together with Dean Ambrose, who is super over right now.

They have The Authority angle built around what is "best for business" and the idea that fans are sheep who can be manipulated into cheering or booing whoever The Authority wants them to. It seems to me that there is some truth to this train of thought. Fans just contently sit by and accept what WWE has to deliver to them and, despite WWE's product getting progressively worse each and every week, fans just sit and take it, continuing to do as they're told.

I never watch smackdown and for the first time in years I haven't watched the end of last Mondays raw. im not the guy who watched it as a kid and left for a while and came back during the attitude era. I watched from 1990 till now the way through. I cant remember a time when I didn't finish an episode except for last week. im surprised at this because they have so much great talent at the moment but its just so stale. like whatever happened to the finishing move. guys can do theyre ''finishing moves'' 10 times during the match and the other guy will still kick out.

I'm not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of behind the scenes of wrestling, but from what I know many of the stars aren't given the opportunity to be creative they're told what to do a lot of the time. When cena and punk did the pile driver it was great because it was something that many hadn't seen or hadn't seen in a while. I look forward to the day that we can see another iron man match, but one that is worthy of that stipulation. Just let a couple of guys or girls go into the ring for an hour and get creative. The right people with the right freedom could make that an amazing match.

I think a lot of people, like myself, are starting to turn away from the wrestling as a whole because there's nothing we can do to force an improvement in the WWE's product and there's no decent alternative either, so what choice is there, other than to stop watching? It's a shame because I miss watching wrestling and I wish it was different to how it is but it feels so demoralising to keep up with whats happening. Every episode of RAW is the same, I haven't watched SmackDown! in years but that was always tedious and PPVs are the same too. It's just so predictable but it was the lack of predictability that wrestling had in 2000 or so was what made it such an enjoyable show to watch. I think the talent that is around today is fine but the guidance from the writers just isn't there and instead of having a fun, entertaining and unpredictable show to watch, you just end up with the exact same ideas being repeated over and over again.

Personally, I doubt the change that I want to see will come any time soon, certainly not while the faint bit of interest I still have in wrestling is present, just because the WWE make too much money from playing it safe to bother with a radical change. That's what I want to see though Even if the show is going to be booked in quite a tame manner, which I could accept, it's not even well written like the WWF in the late 80s was or even NXT is now.

I still like the idea of being a wrestling fan and I think the writers are capable of making the product interesting again, which makes it so frustrating. I think I'm pretty much done with it, unfortunately, but hopefully I'm wrong to be pessimistic.

I try and stay up to date with wwe but I have found myself watching and attending ICW shows and it is through this that my love for wrestling has been rekindled, I used to think anything other than wwe was bush league but boy was i wrong so it shows that there is an alternative out there for anybody if they go and look for it

I've had issues with shitty booking in WWE in the past, so much so that it almost killed my interest in wrestling as a whole. But I've found that watching a wider variety of products has lessened my frustration when WWE take a direction that either doesn't appeal to me as a fan or seems just plain daft.

British companies such as PROGRESS, PCW and ICW offer something different, as does NJPW or Lucha Underground. Also getting to local live shows is a good idea too.

I find that now when I watch a WWE PPV I focus more on talent that interests me (such as Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens, Neville and Bray Wyatt) and ignore the more banal elements of the card.

Seriously, if you just eat beef, then you'll get sick of it very quickly indeed.

I think we're gonna see WWE start to turn a bit of a corner soon, if not already. The booking for guys like Rollins, Owens, and to a lesser extent Finn and Hideo on NXT shows that someone somewhere is at least attempting to do something good within the company.

I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again, we're pretty much just waiting for Vince to pop his clogs at this point. I know I've been down on Triple H in the past (haven't we all at some point), but he seems to making a concerted effort to bring something a bit different to the WWE and it's starting to show. Sure he still comes out and delivers the long, boring promos as his character, but his work backstage with certain guys is really starting to hook me in.

There was a time where WWE would consistently swerve fans with the unexpected and the entertaining. Nowadays, any swerves that WWE does are done because the internet community has expected a certain Superstar to win so they have a different one win just to stick it to the internet fans.

MITB Spoiler

Take Sheamus winning the MITB briefcase for example. Everyone expected Roman Reigns to win and, arguably, he should have.

It's sad that a person could potentially predict an episode of RAW or SmackDown with complete accuracy based on WWE repeating the same, old tired angles. How many episode of RAW and SmackDown have ended with The Authority beating down Seth Rollins' latest challenger? How many times have they teased The Authority breaking up only to bring them back together again? How many times will John Cena try to put over the U.S. Title as a title of "opportunity"?

At this stage it's only worth my time to catch the PPV for a match or two every month and briefly read over the Raw results to see if there is anything worth looking up.

I tried to catch the episode of the most recent Smackdown and switched it off after a few minutes. Boring, repetitive and following the same formula for the past 15 years.

Nowadays the only Wrestling fix I need is from 45 minutes of Lucha Underground every week. Great matches, more wrestling action than a 3 hour Raw and likewise more storyline development.

Nowadays the only Wrestling fix I need is from 45 minutes of Lucha Underground every week. Great matches, more wrestling action than a 3 hour Raw and likewise more storyline development.
You should add another 50+ mins for NXT.

I just dont get WWE's ideas behind things. They build someone up in NXT people like the character and the stories they tell and when they bring them up to the main roster they are suddenly repackaged and are just bland and a nobody. Paige is the perfect example of this. They brought the shield up and they have done well, Kevin Owens has looked good and Sami Zayn looked good in his chance against Cena. Just a shame Zayn injured himself on his way to the ring.

Cesaro spent a lot of time in NXT and his matches were amazing. Back to the main roster and just nothing until he and Kidd started teaming in NXT. I do think HHH is having more influence on Raw and there is more fluidity between the 2 brands because of that but is it too late for the likes of Paige, Woods, Summer Rae, Big E etc?

HHH needs to take full control and build it like 2 seperate companies so they can maybe do a NXT invasion angle or just a full blown developmental to main roster system. The main thing that needs to change though is the creative team for the main shows. I have enjoyed Cena's US open challenge but announcing him vs Rusev 2-3 weeks before the PPV killed any anticipation of will he or wont he lose the title?

I think at this time they need to replace Smackdown with NXT and just run with the 2 main shows.