WWE thinking of signing AJ Styles?

Omega

I think back in the day they offered a $550 per month deal at the old HWA academy they ran for a while alongside OVW. Back then if they sent you to HWA you knew they had no plans for you, all the bright lights seem to have gone to OVW.

At least now he can't say they don't adhere to his Christian beliefs like last time seen as he worked in TNA and the WWE is now PG. But he'll still say no, he's on a decent wage with NJPW and his US Indy dates and he's the current IWGP champion.

Before anyone counters that he draws for NJPW either, I'd argue he doesn't. Okada, Nakamura and Tanahashi are the three main draws for them. Goto, Shibata, Ibushi and Styles (with the Bullet Club) are behind them and the only reason he is in the position he is mainly, is due to the Bullet Club which was established before him and will go on after him probably.

If Devitt/Balor had stayed he may well have got the push Styles is at the moment - in fact seen as they are a similar size, share a few moves, Styles adopting some of Devitt's moves and his membership of the Club could be seen as he is their surrogate Devitt and nothing much else.

Hardly anyone draws anymore especially in wwe so the point is meaning less.

Beside it's also doesnt take away from his matches his matches with Daniels, Joe, angle and many more have been great

Edited by bigmatt

I agree, I'm a huge AJ Styles fan and think with the right opponent he can have excellent matches but I have to agree with Belty that he never really drew money as TNA or NWA champion, isn't the draw in NJPW and wasn't the draw in RoH when he was there, that was Mr. Joe all the way.

I agree, I'm a huge AJ Styles fan and think with the right opponent he can have excellent matches but I have to agree with Belty that he never really drew money as TNA or NWA champion, isn't the draw in NJPW and wasn't the draw in RoH when he was there, that was Mr. Joe all the way.

if styles hasn't been a draw why did tna make him the face of the company for so long, that's a bit stupid of them.

Hardly anyone draws anymore especially in wwe so the point is meaning less.
The point isnt meaningless at all. They are going to offer him a contract valued at what they think they will get in return, so my point that he doesnt draw and therefor isnt worth any more than the low end contract they offered him before is completely valid.

Match quality has nothing to do with anything, if it did some of the biggest stars ever would be working for $15 a night.

if styles hasn't been a draw why did tna make him the face of the company for so long, that's a bit stupid of them.
:lol: Think about what you just said..."Thats a bit stupid of them..."

Hate to break it to you homey, but TNA are f*cking stupid!

And where did TNA go with AJ as face of the company? Nowhere...

:lol: Think about what you just said..."Thats a bit stupid of them..."

Hate to break it to you homey, but TNA are f*cking stupid!

who has been tna's biggest draw does anyone know.

Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe were their biggest PPV draws by far during their original feud, I think one of their PPV's drew almost 70,000 buys and another did quite well. Hogan, Flair, Hardy and those boys on Hogans debut was their biggest TV number ever I believe, 1.6 or something. Nobody has been a sustained, long term draw for them ever.

who has been tna's biggest draw does anyone know.

In terms of TNA "originals", not guys who were big in WWE first, it's Samoa Joe and, at a time, Gail Kim. They killed them both soon enough though, what with them being TNA and all.

I think the "AJ Styles didn't draw" is a little bit of a silly argument. One, he's not coming in as the NWO, he'd be built up as a nobody, like Bryan was, like Kevin Steen was, like CM Punk was, like The Shield were, like the Wyatts were. In modern WWE, drawing power outside the company has absolutely nothing to do with success within it. Tyler Black didn't draw a penny his whole life, now he's WWE Champion, Jon Moxley was a CZW guy no one had ever heard of who's know the most popular babyface in professional wrestling. If you're going to recruit based on drawing power, you might as well just sign Samoa Joe and shut NXT down, because you've now signed literally every professional wrestler who ever sold a pay-per-view on their name alone, outside of the WWE, in the last ten years. I don't even like AJ Styles, I think he's overrated, I don't think he's got any charisma at all, and I think his look and personality is inherently unlikable, but saying he can't draw is like looking at the upcoming list of NBA draft rookies and going, "Pfft, where their rings at though?". Lack of success in unsuccessful places doesn't instantly mean lack of potential in places that know what they're doing.

Nah, you're so far off the mark with the angle you're coming at it in relation to what I meant.

The comment about drawing was in regard to the price of the contract they would offer him. He is a nobody in WWE's eyes, yet he scoffed at their low end contract offer, like he was expecting any more? I guarantee when all those guys you mentioned above, Rollins, Ambrose etc first came in they weren't making much either.

So the comment has nothing to do with how successful he could or couldn't be in WWE and everything to do with why they'd probably offer him pennies again and why he shouldn't be shocked when they do. And also, maybe he should bite the bullet and take the low end deal to get his foot in the door, if he's confident about his ability to succeed there, he should take the crap in the short term to make bank in the long term.

Ah, I see, yeah, I missed your point.

I guess it depends if AJ gives a shit about never being in the WWE. You hear it a lot that indie guys make more money than NXT guys, and they all have to basically come to the decision to lose money in exchange for their dreams possibly coming true. It's a gamble, but, as you say, if he's confident he's as good as he says he is, he'll make his month back in a year.