Summer Transfer Thread

King

It's the 1st of May and we hare at TWO like to do things early so this is the official transfer Summer thread for all football be it UK or Europe.

I'll start a new Paper News thread in a few weeks....

Talk is Memphis Depay might be going to Liverpool as Man Utd really want to get Bale in.

Clyne is also linked with Utd.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rumour is that United are not going after Depay now but are planning on throwing a tonne of money over the summer at Bale, Clyne, Gundogan, Strootman as well as possibly another centre back and picking up Ings on a free.

On the flip side they may be selling Di Maria to PSG at a loss of around £11m, offloading Hernandez and not taking up the option to buy Falcao with a few rumours circling that RVP will also be on the chopping block.

Question is, who is going out the door then? PSG are sniffing around Di Maria, RVP seems to be on thin ice, Nani is due back off loan but would surely be a fringe player, Januzaj is being loaned out to either PSV as part of this deal if some rumours are to be believed or to Everton and Falcao's situation is still not clear either.

Could very well be the start of an interesting summer over in Manchester but I'm glad we aren't messing about, we are looking at who we want and getting business done early so the team can settle quickly (at less in theory).

Pogba has apparently turned down a contract from PSG, which suggests two things.

1) The Manchesters, Chelsea and Real Madrid are probably the only teams left that could afford him right now.

2) He's for sale, because it got to the point where he's turning down contracts.

Sadly, that would suggest that Juventus would rather Pogba go to City. Boo.

Jose Mourinho's signed a new contract with Chelsea that's believed to last until 2019 (not that that particularly matters with Chelsea) and it's being rumoured that he's handed in his four-man shopping list. It's a bit of a French invasion (which I like the sound of), with Antoine Griezmann, Alexandre Lacazette and Raphael Varane alongside the non-French Vicente Guaita (who is apparently Getafe's goalkeeper). Gareth Bale and Paul Pogba are, apparently, having an eye kept on them as Galactico-style luxury long-shots incase either Ramires or Oscar get David Luiz-style silly offers.

Oscar could get one from Juve, in fact there could be a bit of business to be done there, with Oscar plus cash going to Turin and Pogba coming in. That way you could have Matic and Pogba and in front of them Cesc, Hazard and Griezmann with Costa as the striker.

Then you'd have Lacazette, Willian and Cuardado on the bench (not bad really) plus Filipe Luis if he is not used as a make weight for the Griezmann deal, Guaita and a rotation of Zouma, Varane and Cahill depending on who was picked to be Terry's partner. This is all presuming these deals go through.

Even if Pogba goes to City, unless they sell a tonne of players to break even it doesn't bode well for them if they want to keep inside FFP whilst re-building. Not only that, if they persist in playing 4-4-2 they'll continue to get out numbered in the middle like they did against United, Arsenal, Chelsea and even Liverpool at times this year. Buy all the players in the world, get the tactics wrong and you'll still lose.

If Luis goes, they'll need another full-back. Nathaniel Clyne is the name currently being thrown around. Still, let's go full fantasy football and say;

Goalkeepers- Courtois, Guaita and either Blackman or Beeney (the two youth keepers)

Fullbacks - Ivanovic, Azpilicueta and either bring in Clyne, or keep Christiansen as back-up from the youth team

Centrebacks - Terry, Varane, Cahill and Zouma

Holding Midfielders - Matic, Ake and van Ginkel

Attacking Midfielders or Wingers or whatever the fuck we call them these days - Hazard, Willian, Fabregas, Salah, Cuadrado, Loftus-Cheek, Griezmann and either Progba or Bale

Strikers - Costa, Lacazette and either Solanke or Brown from the youth team

I'd happily take a starting eleven of;

Courtois

Ivanovic - Terry - Varane / Cahill - Azpilicueta

Matic

Pogba / Hazard - Fabregas

Willian / Griezmann - Costa - Hazard / Bale

That's a 24 man squad (if you pick only one of each "or" option), 17 of which aren't homegrown (16 if you replace Pogba with Bale I think).

That would include Oscar, Luis, Ramires, Marin, Remy and Mikel being sold (I think Mourinho could get £80million for the bunch, if not more), Drogba retiring and Cech being allowed to leave for free, preferably to another country.

Edited by John Hancock

I can see Remy and Luis being used as part of the Lacazette and Griezmann deals really. Ramires and Oscar to Juve for Pogba as well (maybe a little cash too), Mikel to Inter, Marin to Fiorentina or Bremen and Cech and Drogba like you say leaving on free transfers, or in Drogba's case retiring and becoming a coach at the club.

Bale isn't leaving Madrid either if you ask me, unless they get Hazard or someone mega star like in that same position and they need to re-coup the money and they won't, there is just no one like that available to them. I know United are supposed to be waving this £100m cheque their way but there is not a chance Real sell him this season. If he is as injured and confidence shattered then next year they might cut their losses, but not this summer.

Also Clyne is a right back so he'd be cover for Ivanovic.

Good point about Bale being irreplaceable for Madrid, even if we're just talking about Madrid's ego. They do like to show off, and you're right that there's no one really on the market they can show off with. I wouldn't swap Hazard for Bale, even with money, and I don't think Chelsea would either. Better the angel you know.

Agree with you about swapping too. Ramires and Oscar for Pogba, Remy plus money for Lacazette, Luis and money for Griezmann. Mikel for £10million, Marin, Romeu, Kakuta, Moses, maybe Piazon, maybe Atsu for £5million a piece to whoever wants them. I think Chelsea could walk away from all that with some pocket money.

If Clyne's on the right, he won't do. Azpilicueta can play on the right, so he can cover for Ivanovic, they need a second guy on the left. I think Nathan Ake played as a left-back for a bit as a youth, so maybe he can give it a go if they worst comes to the worst.

Yeah Clyne's a righty, as for who you'd get at left back, well I don't know really as Luis was probably the best of an average lot when you signed him.

The best left backs in the world seem to be Alba and Jordi Alba and they are both wrapped up pretty tight by Bayern and Barca, after that I'd struggle to say who you could pick up seen as the likes of Leighton Baines, with being English and left footed, would cost a bomb.

Ryan Bertrand has been doing great for Southampton this season but you let his loan be turned into a permanent deal - he could have been the cover you'd have been longing for but he's been a causality of the Luis move.

Yaya's agent says he is 90% certain that he will leave City this summer. Juve and Real where two clubs linked (why Real, I'll never know) but don't want to pay him £220,000 a week. Inter and Mancini are still the front runners for his signature as a result but don't want to pay a lot of money for him due to his wage costs.

So Mourinho's off saying wacky things to confuse people in transfer windows, because three months without being able to annoy anyone would be just unacceptable.

This year's wackiness centres around Petr Cech. Mourinho's come out and said he doesn't want Cech to leave, and would rather he was unhappy at Chelsea than happy somewhere else. He admitted that it's not up to him in the end, but said he would do whatever he can to make sure Cech stays or, failing that, to make sure he leaves the Premier League.

I heard he has asked Roman to do his best to keep as much of the title winning squad together and not let them leave, the main person being like you said Petr Cech who he supposedly said he will not allow to go to a PL club if he has to leave at all and prefer he goes abroad.

Send him to Atletico as a makeweight in the Griezmann deal and you kill two birds with one stone and the Madrid team get the top class keeper they've been lacking since Courtois returned from his loan there.

As for the rest of the squad, no way. Drogba is out of contract and of minimal use, Mikel has been surplanted and regressed as has Ramires, Oscar is 50/50 at the moment and then there are fringe players out on loan so there is no way they aren't selling some players to make room both in terms of FFP and on the squad to improve a winning formula.

Another Chelsea rumour is that if they can't get Varane then they will go for John Stones from Everton who will also, due to being young and English, cost a bomb.

A few bits I've seen in the gossip columns this morning...

Bournemouth want to sign Dimitar Berbatov from Monaco, Chelsea are favourites to sign £40m-rated Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke, Manchester United have made an increased offer worth £18m for Southampton and England right-back Nathaniel Clyne, Juventus midfielder Andrea Pirlo, 35, is wanted by Chelsea and Liverpool and Liverpool are interested in signing Borussia Dortmund forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

All moves I can actually see happening to be fair, that if Monaco release Berbatov and he has no where else to go.