Puroresu Wrestling Help and Information

Laffy

This has been taken from another forum but I thought it would be a good thread to start to help people learn more about Japanese Wrestling.

Who is your favourite Japanese wrestler?

Who is your favourite gaijin [translates to foreign to those that don't know the language] wrestler?

What's your favourite match?

Awesome moment not necessarily a match?

Mitsuharu Misawa

Who is your favourite gaijin [translates to foreign to those that don't know the language] wrestler?

Justin Liger

The Great Muta vs. Hiroshi Hase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2yxfSRz-cw

Misawa vs Kobashi

On an aside amazing moment was Kenta's return from cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsMyFmUXBLM

Gringo can you also recommend some matches that everyone should see.

Kenta Kobashi. The man's storyline progression from young lion, to Misawa's number 2 and then onto ace is amazing. He fought the best in the business from day one and slowly you could see him learning from defeat, gaining momentum until eventually he had reached a point where he could be the man himself. It was just a damn shame his knees died on him not long after that and we missed his absolute prime with him on top. Still he didn't do to bad afterwards once AJPW split into NOAH and he finally came back to take his place at the top.

He was an innovator, a tremendous worker, charismatic and he came back from several major injuries to his knees, both elbows and god damn Kidney Cancer to carry on entertaining the fans. I had the pleasure of seeing him live, tagging with Go Shiozaki against Misawa and Marufuji in Coventry back in the day and it was one of the happiest days of my life.

I have a couple truth be told. My love for Vader began with him in NJPW in 1989-90 and then he was even better, all those years later when he won the Triple Crown in AJPW in 1999. I also adore the hell out of Stan Hansen, the man that JBL wished he could be for so many years. Dr. Death Steve Williams achieved the fame he never quite reached in the US over in AJPW and had some blinding matches matches as a singles wrestler earning the Triple Crown and then as a tag wrestler as part of the wonderfully titled Miracle Violence Connection. In the Junior Heavyweight ranks it has to be Kenny Omega in recent times but the first time I ever encountered Chris Benoit was when he was the Pegasus Kid and then became Wild Pegasus and had some outrageously good matches with the Great Sasuke, El Samuari, Jushin Thunder Liger (who is not a gaijin), Black Tiger (Eddie Guerrero) and others from 1990 to 1995.

It is hard to pick one but at a push it is either Misawa v Kawada for the Triple Crown in June 1994 or Misawa v Kobashi in a 43 minute epic for the Triple Crown in 1997

But basically watch everything that New Japan did from 1991 to 1999 and All Japan did from 1992 to 1999 and you will see some of the best wrestling ever and I mean ever. It will blow your mind. Hit up the Super J Cup's, the G-1 Climax's, the Tokyo Dome shows of NJPW, the Champions Carnivals and the World Strongest Tag Leagues and you'll be happier then a pig in muck.

Awesome moment not necessarily a match?

Kobashi coming out after his cancer surgery to announce his return in NOAH, man the crowd came undone. Muto, Chono and Hashimoto returning from their learning excursions from overseas and proclaiming themselves the Three Musketeers in 1991 and Misawa unmasking himself and proclaiming Tiger Mask II was over and Misawa had arrived.

I also mark out for when Liger came back from the US and pissed off at how he had been treated he started wearing all black and just destroying other Junior Heavyweights before becoming a Heavyweight. He was such a grumpy, nasty bugger and it made for some great matches as well.

@Evil Gringo thanks for that where can I watch Japanese wresting now as have very much lost contact with what is going on at the moment.

Can you recommend about five matches that everyone should watch that have impacted Japanese wrestling or just fantastic five star matches.

I haven't watched much Japanese stuff for a while, but NJPW has apparently been on fire for the last couple of years and the Tanahashi vs Okada series of matches are meant to be out of this world fantastic.

The best place really to watch Japanese wrestling is YouTube really, there are sites where you can download matches as well if you look around but a lot of people (with the companies blessing I might add so that they can widen their market as Japanese business is run off the live gate numbers received during tours rather then PPV buys or TV ratings like the US model of the modern age), upload in great quality matches on YouTube.

The best place to keep up with news and results is now Purolove which despite being in German is easy enough to follow. It used to be Puroresufan but Stuart who runs that site has now stopped updating due to real life, as usual with the web, getting in his way.

Also the big NJPW shows these days are also covered on their site as iPPV where you can pay to live stream them and the content has been widely praised. Jim Ross even did play by play on the last one and it was fantastic, Wrestle Kingdom which was reviewed by the guys on the Podcast a few months back and all of them gave it a glowing review and by their own admission they hate wrestling but they all love NJPW right now.

Continued due to post size limit.

Jun 11th 1999 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Jun '99): Mitsuharu Misawa v Kenta Kobashi

Oct 31st 1998 AJPW 26th Anniversary Show: Mitsuharu Misawa v Kenta Kobashi

Dec 5th 1997 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Dec '97): Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada v Jun Akiyama, & Mitsuharu Misawa

Jun 6th 1997 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Jun '97): Mitsuharu Misawa v Toshiaki Kawada

Jun 5th 1997 NJPW Best of the Super Juniors IV - Day 17: El Samurai v Koji Kanemoto

Dec 6th 1996 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Dec '96): Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada v Jun Akiyama, & Mitsuharu Misawa

Jun 7th 1996 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Jun '96): Jun Akiyama & Mitsuharu Misawa v Johnny Ace & Steve Williams

Jun 9th 1995 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Jun '95): Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada v Kenta Kobashi & Mitsuharu Misawa

Apr 15th 1995 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Apr '95): Mitsuharu Misawa v Akira Taue

Mar 4th 1995 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Mar '95): Kenta Kobashi & Mitsuharu Misawa v Johnny Ace & Steve Williams

Jun 3rd 1994 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Jun '94): Mitsuharu Misawa v Toshiaki Kawada

Apr 16th 1994 NJPW Super J Cup '94: Wild Pegasus v The Great Sasuke

Dec 3rd 1993 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Dec '93): Kenta Kobashi & Mitsuharu Misawa v Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada

Jul 29th 1993 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Jul '93): Stan Hansen v Kenta Kobashi

Apr 30th 1992 NJPW Sumo Hall Show (Apr '92): Jushin Thunder Liger v El Samurai

Aug 9th 1991 NJPW G1 Climax '91 - Day 3: Keiji Mutoh v Big Van Vader

Jun 8th 1990 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Jun '90): Mitsuharu Misawa v Jumbo Tsuruta

Jun 5th 1989 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Jun '89): Genichiro Tenryu v Jumbo Tsuruta

Dec 16th 1988 AJPW Budokan Hall Show (Dec '88): Terry Gordy & Stan Hansen v Toshiaki Kawada & Genichiro Tenryu

Mar 9th 1985 AJPW Sumo Hall Show (Mar '85): Tiger Mask II v Kuniaki Kobayashi

Apr 21st 1983 NJPW Sumo Hall Show (Apr '83): Tiger Mask I v Dynamite Kid

Archived