Shawn Michaels declines farewell match for WrestleMania 32

Kam

From the Wrestling-Online Newsletter:

- During the latest Jim Ross podcast, WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels revealed that WWE has tried to convince him to come out of retirement for next year’s WrestleMania in Dallas, Texas. The Heartbreak Kid said that the idea of a farewell match was brought up but Michaels said that he’s happily retired and he declined the offer. He retired after losing to The Undertaker at WrestleMania 26 in Phoenix, Arizona, and has not wrestled a single match since then, honoring the 2010 deal. HBK showed up at WrestleMania this year and super kicked Sting in the face during the Sting/Triple H match. WWE is planning some big things for next year’s WrestleMania at the AT&T Stadium as they hope to break the attendance record for a WrestleMania which has stood since 1987. The AT&T Stadium will be able to hold close or just over 100,000 fans depending on the set up used.

I wonder who they would have put him against...

Daniel Bryan would be a logical candidate. Not only would it be master / student (and potentially a classic match), but they have a WWE in-ring history; specifically you could play up the superkick from Hell in a Cell 2013.

Yeah, there hasn't been a pay off for that really apart from the brawl before the Cena v Orton unification match where all the former WWE and World champions where in the ring. It teased Punk and Bryan v HHH and HBK really but then nothing happened.

Shawn is happy, healthy and wealthy and left on his own terms off the back of a classic match. There is no way a man as switched on as HBK will come back for one more match and that's it. He might appear in some form at the event with it being in his home state and him being Mr. Wrestlemania but I'll bet one Canadian Dollar right now he's not wrestling on that show.

The first thing that crossed my mind when I heard this is him returning to retire The Undertaker. Unlikely I know, but I also heard around the same time that Wrestlemania 32 will be Taker's last and I can't think of many other superstars he would want to end his career.

Taker would not have let Brock beat the streak if he didn't think he'd have been a better choice. Plus Kane has been beaten twice by Taker already at Mania when his stock was much higher, no one would buy Kane beating Taker at Mania now nor is the business in need of Kane doing that.

The person who retires Taker should be someone who could benefit long term from it - who that is right now is up to the WWE to build correctly over the next year and its time for people to take heed of what Cena and Vince have said on recent podcasts - take risks, challenge the established order and justify it - that way when they will push you and possible huge opportunities, like retiring Taker, might fall into your lap.

Archived