WWE bans Rollins' Curbstomp?

dsrchris

Wrestlezone are reporting that WWE are apparently about to stop Seth Rollins from using the Curbstomp as his finisher:

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/572739-exclusive-wwe-banning-a-current-champions-finishing-move

According to WWE sources, the company will be banning Seth Rollins from using the curb stomp finishing move.

WWE’s feeling about the move, which the WWE World Heavyweight Champion uses as his finisher, is that it’s too much of a direct liability and risk for a head injury. All of sports is trying to be more proactive when it comes to preventing head injuries and concussions, and this is the reason for WWE banning the curb stomp.

WWE reportedly doesn’t want its top star to be doing that move every night and they also don’t want to be showing it in past clips or videos anymore. This is why last week on RAW when Rollins came out, the video which played during his entrance was primarily just graphics of his name. The normal entrance video for Rollins features a compilation of clips, several of which are him performing the curb stomp.

At this rate they may as well ban every move and have them all take up live knitting on air.
Hyperbolic comment is hyperbolic?

They banned piledrivers after a serious accident. They banned the Shooting Star Press after a serious accident (and only allowed Evan Bourne to do it after he showed the brass him hitting it spot on repeatedly - although, with Neville, etc, those moves are back on the table).

The curb stomp, as perfect as it is for Rollins' character, is a man standing on his opponent's head (for real) and then pushing him to the mat while still having his foot on the top of the opponent's head. Sure, he's not actually driving them full force, but the potential for damage is there and I can see where WWE would be coming from.

Besides, he's "the architect", so I'm sure he can draw up plans for another finisher.

I'm with Belty in that I didn't like the way they set it up in a contrived way a lot but it really was a perfect move for Rollins. He's a small main eventer with a believable finisher he can use on anybody from Dolph Ziggler to Big Show, it was over and it fit his character.

I'm not a worker but isn't the guy taking it in control? How does it differ from a pedigree or a DDT for example?

I'm not a worker but isn't the guy taking it in control? How does it differ from a pedigree or a DDT for example?
With the curb stomp, you have a guy standing on your head (with as little weight as possible), so the potential for an accident is a fair bit higher because if the giver of the stomp doesn't position his weight properly, he will end up stomping you for real.

There is a danger with pretty much any wrestling move where you pick someone up or drive someone down, but it's a sliding scale.

That being said, Super Dragon's version always looked ridiculously stiff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3etxwKaoY

This one doubly so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH6cdMCZQwo

Edited by DC

That's the thing though, Seth is a great athlete and his always looked well done. Obviously I can't be sure because I'm not the one taking them or even have the eye that experience in the ring will give you but it seemed that way. Brock Lesnar smashes his own face into the floor every time but people like Cena and Reigns seem to take it exactly like a pedigree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws2td-K2aIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvP1j_OhuTw

To be honest, it's no more likely to go "wrong" than any other kind of impact finisher. Something about this seems like it's WWE attempting to stop people copying the move, rather than being worried about Seth performing it safely. In that regard, I can see why they'd ban it. The last thing we need (regardless of how many Don't Try This At Home ads they air) is kids brutally injuring each other by hitting proper curbstomps when they're messing around playing wrestling.

Not that outlawing the move is gonna stop that kind of thing, but hey ho.

He could always go back to using the 450 or the Phoenix like the RoH days - hell the Phoenix would be over in seconds as a finisher because it is so god damn pretty and the torque you get on the spin makes it hit with a thump.

I third the ban on the Diving Headbutt, but I got the feeling it had been struck off anyway due to Bryan's neck issues?

He's stopped using the headbutt and the front missile dropkick as far as I can see in his matches now - which seen as both moves helped contribute to Dynamite Kids injury issues over the years can only be a good thing. Then you have the whole Chris Benoit neck issues not to mention his brain damage that some people attribute to his eventual horrific demise.

Hell even Harley Race regrets coming up with the move and believes it causes too many problems.

That's the thing though, Seth is a great athlete and his always looked well done.
And that was my problem with it, it did always look well done and safe, which is another way of saying it looked really fake. Finishing moves especially need to look like they're killing somebody while being as safe as possible, if you cant have a safe, vicious looking finish, its probably time to find something else to use.

And that was my problem with it, it did always look well done and safe, which is another way of saying it looked really fake. Finishing moves especially need to look like they're killing somebody while being as safe as possible, if you cant have a safe, vicious looking finish, its probably time to find something else to use.

I never really felt that about Seth's curb stomp. When I said that it was well done, I meant that when I first saw the move I wondered how much weight of his was left on the back of the receiver's neck and how careful the receiver would have to be to get ready to take it on his hands or whatever. And when I watched it on the replays, Seth is so athletic he just sort of hangs there with his foot on their neck until they take the bump. I never really had a problem with that. There is that line with wrestling though where something doesn't quite look real but it looks real enough in its context. That pro wrestling convention. Like allowing yourself to be swung into the ropes without grabbing them and bailing or not covering up when someone's punching you or something like that. Seth's curb stomp always looked great in that context to me, and really fitted his character, like where he'd appear from nowhere and use it on someone on their hands and knees trying to get up.

When you said fake originally, I thought you meant the setup to it. I didn't like the contrived setup a lot of the time, with things like the buckle bomb followed by curb stomp where Seth would set off to run the ropes while the guy is still in the corner and the guy would magically fall into place on his hands and knees a millisecond before Seth arrives. Like:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/20140723/5075931/seth-rollins-curb-stomp-rvd-o.gif

http://dailywrestlingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Rollins-Ziggler-gifs-001_001.gif

For example. But we all have our own boundaries in that regard. I suppose the way the receiver lifts his head up too much before throwing his head to the ground like Brock here is a bit off too:

http://33.media.tumblr.com/7520405874f3c4fc9c93281ade4ecb15/tumblr_nca7rwQz2c1saykaxo1_400.gif

Is Seth's curb stomp any more unbelievable then a rock bottom or a pedigree or an angle slam or an AA or whatever? And when you have 70 guys on your roster, preferably with different finishers what could they use that would satisfy you?

I only really dislike Dolph's zigzag. That's the only one that I can think of that doesn't do it for me in WWE.

When I said it looked fake originally I did mean the contrived setup but also the move itself. The entire thing looks soft. RVD sold it like a rag doll, I'd give him all the credit in that gif for making it look great, the rest of the time it looks lame to me. And the Rock Bottom, Pedigree etc, they just look like wrestling moves. I mean, at least the guys are getting slammed. The curb stomp is too much like the 619 where it all becomes about new ways to set it up which look so choreographed and then the move itself, which looks soft.

I dont like it.

Whilst we are on it, I don't like how Neville set up the Red Arrow. The move itself, fine, but the set up is so weak - half the time its a scoop slam or a kick followed by the climb, the pose AND then the move.

Way more people in a real lift situation would have moved and even in a wrestling situation it still feels like it takes too long.

Back to the Stomp - I agree with the buckle bomb set up - it should be the bomb, followed by the seated thrust kick (like Del Rio used to do, Rollins did it on the indies) and then as they are out of it, strike with the stomp. But hey, the Phoenix is right there, that's all I'm saying.

Heels doing top-rope moves in general is kinda garbage; they're going to get a face-pop for it every time. It only works in lucha, where everyone's coming off the top anyway, and, even then, they save the flips for the babyfaces and stick the heels with just standard moonsaults, if that (they'd rather give them kicks and drivers). When you've got one guy doing an FU, and another guy doing a Phoenix Splash, which is, what, a moonsault and a 450 mixed into each other, one of those moves is going to get people a lot more excited, in a positive way, than the other.

You can get a move over as a heels move regardless of how pretty it is. Jeff Hardy was still using the Swanton as a heel, Great Muta was still dropping moonsaults back when everyone else was doing crossbodies and splash's as a heel, Aries was a heel in RoH with his 450, Jack Evans with his 630 - so long as the person themselves is doing a decent job of being a heel and they do something 'dickish' to set the move up then its not an issue.

I agree on the crowd positivity side of things as well, when comparing moves like the Phoenix and the FU but again that is down to the character and booking of the person executing as well as the execution and its place and timing in the match structure. Hogan's leg drop was not as flashy as Savage's elbow drop from the top but damn if it wasn't over and still getting a pop even later on in WCW when you had people like Juvi, Kidman and such flying about with 450's and SSP's.

Also sometimes the FU for example just looks too safe and rushed and like it wouldn't keep a granny down, let alone Brock Lesnar - added to the fact its been used as a false finish too many times it has diluted its pop. We are now conditioned, in a PPV environment and sometimes on TV, to expect the first FU to not work where as Bryan's Knee, or the GTS, or even the god damn Trouble In Paradise from Kofi of all people - we know 99.9% of the time if they hit then that's it.

There are ways it can work, its just if Rollins is up to the task (which I think he is) and if the WWE do it right (juries out on that).

I'm on the "don't give heels flashy top rope finishers" side of the argument too. With the exception of big moments where it fits i.e Seth trying to win his first ever title at the Royal Rumble where he'd incapacitated the beast and was desperately trying to pin Cena but Cena kicked out of the curb stomp.

The effectiveness of the Curb Stomp differs with who is at the receiving end. Against athletes such as RDV, Dolph, Dean, Bryan and so on the move does look good because the opponent has the ability to sell it with more impact and on a smaller opponent the move can work. However when used on stars like Roman, Brock, Cena I don't believe the move looks as good or as devastating.

I don't mind the DDT/Facebuster Rollins used on Monday but I also think he should use the Superkick more of a finisher as well as the phoenix splash