How long can The Walking Dead go before running out of steam?

Kam

From COW:

It’s interesting to think about how The Walking Dead has evolved as a TV show over the years. Through multiple changes in the writers room (especially at the top) and a gradual change in the scope of the show, TWD has gone from being a small episodic version of “Day of the Dead” to being something more akin to a post-apocalyptic thriller from George Miller.

One can’t help but wonder what the show would have been like had series-developer Frank Darabont not been dumped by AMC executives. The Walking Dead’s first year started out with a highly rated premiere episode. Ratings remained high throughout the condensed first season, but there was no way to be sure such things would last. Darabont was canned at the end of the first season, a six-episode tear that moved with determined pace, was loaded with scares and featured a core cast of characters fighting to survive against overwhelming odds.

Then season two happened and the show turned into “Rob Zombie presents: Little House on the Prairie.”

> NEVER ARRIVING: How long can The Walking Dead go before running out of steam?

I've wondered this myself. That's a really well written article. Another factor which isn't mentioned is the "Rick loop", which I hope has been broken now. The "Rick loop" refers to Ricks' inability or unwillingness to take an obviously necessary action until something goes catastrophically wrong and he's forced to it, after the group has paid the price. This happens, just so many times, over and over and is massively irritating because he never learns. If it carries on much longer, I'm not sure how long I'll keep watching.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still a fan of the show, but my relationship with it is weird. It's one of only a few shows I watch live as it airs. But I'm not in love with it. I watch it because it's such a pop culture phenomenon and it's almost expected of me.

But there are a lot of little things that annoys me and I wonder if enough people will get annoyed and eventually just move on the next pop culture smash hit. That might be several years though.

Then again, the spinoff show will be on the air before too long and it might just be what bursts the bubble.

I've wondered this myself. That's a really well written article. Another factor which isn't mentioned is the "Rick loop", which I hope has been broken now. The "Rick loop" refers to Ricks' inability or unwillingness to take an obviously necessary action until something goes catastrophically wrong and he's forced to it, after the group has paid the price. This happens, just so many times, over and over and is massively irritating because he never learns. If it carries on much longer, I'm not sure how long I'll keep watching.
I watched seasons 1-5 recently, back to back and I thought by season 5 he almost seems to be losing the plot. He goes from trying to help everyone to not wanting to help others. In season 2 you have the farm episodes where he tells everyone as it's Hershel's farm they have to abide by whatever Hershel said. Come season 5 he's pretty much decided straight off that the people in Alexandria aren't capable of looking after the place and he wants to take over. He seems to be going from one extreme to the other.

He appears pretty cold by the end of season 4 (along with Carol) with that violent scene with the claimers gang...which was then followed by the Gareth and co scenes in the church (season 5). The way he just shot the police officer (Lamson, one of the 'good guys') in the head to the instant decision that Pete has to die because he's abusing his wife with no thought about him being the only doctor/surgeon they have.

I thought it was interesting in the season 5 finale where you see Morgan who refused to kill the two Wolves guys even though they made it clear they like to kill people and wanted to kill him. By leaving them he's inadvertently got someone else killed (the red hooded guy) and they'll probably kill others in season 6. Him and Rick seemed to be polar opposites at this point.

I love seeing the progression of the characters, it's clear the mental anguish of the whole situation is effecting everyone differently. Rick has more pressure than most since everyone looks to him for guidance/safety.

And yet, not cold enough to kill all of the cannibals outright when they should have, leading to the church massacre, leading to the coward punk ass reverend poisoning the well in Alexandria, etc.

It's funny, since you think he's losing the plot and doing these horrible things, and my problem with him is that it's obvious these horrible things need doing and he always, always vacillates before doing what is needed, usually at someone elses expense. Planning to take over Alexandria is the first sensible thing he's done, and then he blew it entirely by getting into a stupid fight with the wife abusing pig.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't have even brought it up to the old hag, I'd have slit his throat one night on the qt. No muss, no fuss, oh look I must investigate this terrible crime... oh wow, the punk who was getting people killed on scavenger runs did it, here's the bloody knife I found in his pack. And he resisted arrest so I had to shoot him dead. And the decent old man would still be alive...

And yet, not cold enough to kill all of the cannibals outright when they should have, leading to the church massacre, leading to the coward punk ass reverend poisoning the well in Alexandria, etc..
Didn't Rick want to go back and kill them all as soon as they were out of Terminus? I think it was the others (Maggie/Glen? Can't remember who exactly) that told him it's over and to move on, something along those lines.

I don't remember anything about the priest and a well, what was that? I may have missed it. I was hoping he'd get killed off pretty quick like Noah. Is it bad that I enjoyed Noah getting ripped apart? He was so annoying!

It's funny, since you think he's losing the plot and doing these horrible things, and my problem with him is that it's obvious these horrible things need doing and he always, always vacillates before doing what is needed, usually at someone elses expense. Planning to take over Alexandria is the first sensible thing he's done, and then he blew it entirely by getting into a stupid fight with the wife abusing pig.
My point was more about his character progression from season 1 to 5, I think he's changed quite a bit (like the majority have). I find the whole moral conscience issue really interesting. I think it was Mika/Lizzy that said sometimes you had to do 'mean things' and we've seen quite a few of the main cast go down that route to varying degrees.

The problem being, he let himself be convinced. As if people who eats other people professionally were ever going to let things slide. The priest saw what they did to the cannibals because they didn't finish them off when they should have. Then he ran to the old hag blathering about how they're bad people and sowed the seeds division.

Archived