Furious 7 continues to set records.

DC

Not only is it the most financially successful movie in the series, it has become the 20th movie to break the US$1billion barrier.

The big record to come out of this though is that the film has done it in only 17 days, setting the record and surpassing the 19 days it took for Avatar, The Avengers and Harry Potter 7.2.

It's amazing to think how huge this series has become, especially from the humble beginnings of the first one and the supposed death-knell from the Tokyo Drift.

It has surpassed The Dark Knight and while I believe Titanic (at US$2.2billion) and Avatar (at US$2.8billion - which is insane) are safe, The Avengers (at #3) on down to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (#18) are all in danger of being overtaken.

• 1 month later...
It has surpassed The Dark Knight and while I believe Titanic (at US$2.2billion) and Avatar (at US$2.8billion - which is insane) are safe, The Avengers (at #3) on down to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (#18) are all in danger of being overtaken.
Seems like my prediction that The Avengers would be in trouble is coming to fruition.

Furious 7 has broken US$1.5billion to reach #4 with US$1,500,103,470, while The Avengers sits at #3 on US$1,518,594,910.

US$18million is a lot of money, but when you're talking blockbuster movies and these kind of figures, it's only going to take a few weeks to attain.

Archived