One match to get someone hooked on wrestling?

Laffy

If you could select one match that to you would get someone hooked on wrestling and keep them coming back for more. What would it be? Would it be a gimmick match etc. Hell in a cell, elimination chamber, ladder match. A fatal four way or a technical match. A hardcore match like Randy Orton vs Foley with Thumb tacks and a flaming barbie. God i love that match. HBk's return summerslam 2002, Taker vs HBK the list goes on and on.

For me it would be Wrestlemania 20 HHH vs HBK vs Benoit. For me this match had it all there have been others that have been great but the kid in me loves this match. The underdog finally achieving his dream and triumphing against the odds to succeed in reaching the top of the mountain the pinnacle of his career and becoming champion. The build up the promos the feud itself is simply magical and will remain etched in the annuals of my mind reliving the hug and the confetti once the match was over.

• Like 1

I would go with Warrior v Savage from WrestleMania VII (if we're counting the whole package, the hype video brings you up to speed on the story and the commentary gives you the rest) or possibly CM Punk v John Cena at MitB to show them a great match in front of a hot crowd. One other match that springs to mind is the epic Joe v AJ v Daniels match from Unbreakable 2005 (damn; that was TEN YEARS ago).

Slightly lesser down the totem pole, but matches I find dear to my heart, would be Mikey Whipwreck v Simon Diamond v Little Guido from Hardcore Heaven 2000 and Chris Chetti & Nova v Da Baldies at Heatwave 2000 (Nova is possibly the best "look at the shit he comes up with" wrestler to show a non-fan).

Hogan v Andre, but I'd show them the build as well - the sheer spectacle of the two giants facing off and the sight of Andre being slammed and the huge crowd going mental. A match I would show someone for definite, as a beginning. Hell I'd show them Savage v Steamboat from the same show - that way they'd see the pomp, the spectacle AND the athletic prowess needed too and that it can be pure art in terms of stories and physicality.

Then it would be Bret v Austin at Mania 13, the end of the New Era, the beginning of Attitude and the best double turn ever done in the business.

Then throw in Taker v HBK I and II and then Taker v HHH II and III - wonderful matches again from a storyline and a physicality stand point.

If the WWE wasn't their thing then RVD v Jerry Lynn, the first ever match over the ECW World TV Title that went to a 30 minute draw followed by overtime from... I want to say Living Dangerously 1998 but if its not then DC will correct me. At the time it was just flat out the best wrestling match I'd see, just two men with a counter for everything, not stopping (except for the odd thumb point) and highspots galore.

If the WWE wasn't their thing then RVD v Jerry Lynn, the first ever match over the ECW World TV Title that went to a 30 minute draw followed by overtime from... I want to say Living Dangerously 1998 but if its not then DC will correct me. At the time it was just flat out the best wrestling match I'd see, just two men with a counter for everything, not stopping (except for the odd thumb point) and highspots galore.
Van Dam fought 2 Cold Scorpio at Living Dangerously 1998.

As Jay said, it was LD99 that they had the time-limit draw where the referee was going to give Lynn the belt (for reasons that were never actually explained as wrestling doesn't work on a points system and the champion was never defeated), but went into an agreed overtime and Van Dam got the duke.

Personally, I'd go with their rematch from Hardcore Heaven 1999 if we're going with an RVD v Jerry Lynn match (although their subsequent battles at Hardcore Heaven 2000 and Guilty as Charged 2001.

Sticking with ECW, Steve Corino v Dusty Rhodes and Steve Corino v Tajiri would be good ones to put on if you want to show a good wrestling match with a lot of blood (rather than just weapon-filled New Jack-style brawls with a lot of blood). Tajiri v Super Crazy (pre- and with samurai pants) wouldn't be a bad shout.