Bi-annual and Four Yearly Tournaments

Laffy

Every two and four years we have a special tournament be it The Ryder Cup, Commonwealth Games, Olympics, Rugby and Football world cup etc.. What is your favourite tournament and what make it magic/special for you?

For me I have two The Ryder Cup and The British Lions. The Ryder Cup is special for me, the atmosphere the team environment, the characters and the format. Seeing Poulter exploding, Montgomerie achieving his dreams Seve and Olazbal dancing. The 1999 US celebrations which were appalling makes it an exciting and memorable event.

The British Lions mean even more to me I sit down the week before the team announcement and see how close my 35 matches the actual 35 going. The closeness of the players, the exciting rugby, the managers, the Lions Court, the characters, obvious friendships that have been formed and the want to smash the Southern Hemisphere all combines to make an exciting 4-6 weeks which in turn leaves you excited and wanting more knowing that you have to wait the four years for more is annoying but special and the anticipation is palpable..

The Lions tours for me are also a special occasion, getting the best players from these fair isles and pitting them against the best of the Southern Hemisphere provides amazing rugby and fantastic drama.

Also the Rugby Union World Cup where everyone puts their hearts and heads and bodies on the line for glory, you get the feeling that they want it and respect the tournament more then most footballers at the FIFA World Cup. That's not to say I don't love the FIFA World Cup but sometimes that is more about the sponsorships and the chances for footballers to win big moves and money these days then actually winning for your country.

The Ashes would be my pick but this year I'm completely out of the loop because of all the off-field stuff and politics. It's really turned me off. It'll be interesting to see if the buzz gets me back in. I watched some of the summer tests last year because of how much I love them, the allure of them, it sucked me back in. The ashes will probably do the same.

I'm not really that into International sports, I prefer club sports and in a sport like Golf prefer all of the majors to the Ryder Cup. I watch them when they are on, but that is usually because the fact they are on means club sports are on a break and there would be nothing else to watch. I'll always be a club > country guy and couldn't give a shit if Scotland failed to qualify for a major tournament for the rest of time if it meant my club teams were doing ok. If anything I find it quite amusing when they fail. Reading all the broken hearted posts online warms me :lol:

I'm pretty much the least patriotic guy in the world though. I support the USA in the Ryder Cup and, even though my interest is very minimal, when the Olympics is on I much prefer the British athletes to lose. It's much more fun. I don't like Rugby, never watch it, but a couple of people I know are massive Scotland fans and I enjoyed seeing them fail in the Six Nations just to annoy those people.

I'll never support a player, club or team just because of the country they were born in or represent. I support those who's personality I like, or who have achieved something I respect, or play in a way that endears me to them etc.

Having said that, I do care for international cricket because it holds a much greater prominence in the game than its domestic scene. The domestic scene only exits to feed the international side which plays virtually all year unlike other sports. So I do love the Ashes. Absolutely nothing like it and out of all the events that take place every few years, probably the one that excites me the most.

Archived