Who was the bigger star?

GENE

Depends on your point on view really, for me its Savage as he was a better worker, had great promos, was a good draw, blessed with a longer career and helped change, at least in my opinion, parts of professional wrestling forever.

Not to take anything away from Warrior as he was also a good draw in his first run but the legacy of Savage will last longer for me and his contributions to the business.

To be honest though, as far as the 80's are concerned, they are both neck and neck for the number 2 spot behind Hogan so its all down to personal preference really.

That's a real tough one. I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I personally preferred Warrior but I can totally see why many people would prefer Savage, theres a strong case to be made for both guys.

Gringo nailed it about them being neck and neck behind Hogan.

Warrior's had a historic rewriting as of late as The same people who were mocking him are now saying how amazing he was. I have had the same opinion throughout, he had a few decent matches which people like randy, rude and hogan carried him to, he wasn't good in ring and worse on mic. He had a good gimmick that's it. Savage pretty much had it all Edited by dsrchris

Exactly and they where/are both neck and neck behind Hogan in those areas.

Yes as far as Warrior is concerned he wasn't the greatest in the ring and it was mostly his gimmick and charisma that carried him but then again so what if it was? Lance Storm was one of the great ring workers but I don't see anyone here that rushed out to buy a ticket to see him. As for his promos - they fit with the era perfectly and are on a par with some of Savage's work - both men where off their rockers sometimes and came out with some mental stuff because that was the 80's.

Sure Savage had the promo chops to make it work later on in the 90's and in WCW and the nWo in a different era but when they both worked full time it was a different time and what they did worked.

Also you can have the greatest gimmick in the world but the worker still needs to be able to make it work, which Warrior did. The fans tell you what they like, they make you the star and in the 80's they loved Warrior because he made them believe in the gimmick and him.

Would Savage and Hogan have been able to headline WMVI with the same build, I personally don't think so, yes the Megapowers feud was great but Savage was just behind Hogan where Warrior in his prime was near his equal.

So Warrior just shades it for me.

Warrior at his peak was a bigger star than Savage at his peak. Savage during the Mega Powers was always 3rd fiddle behind Hogan and Liz and Savage on his own without Liz never really was anything special. The Warrior got white hot, had his run on top and then fizzled out to where he slipped back down behind Hulk.

Hogan/Savage drew better than Hogan/Warrior and Savage as champion drew better than Warrior as champion, but you have to take into consideration that when Savage was champion, he was tagging with Hogan who was THE draw, so Savage gets credit for alot of that when it was still Hogan who was drawing. Savage also had better opponents as champion, he was working Andre (who was still a draw) and DiBiase who was on fire as a heel. When Warrior was champion his main opponents were mid card-for-life Haku and Rick Rude who he had already smashed 8 months earlier in their feud for the IC title. So they didn't really have anybody lined up for him to work with as champion, its almost as if he was sabotaged from the get-go.

For me, Warrior was the bigger name. Savage had a better overall career, Warrior had the more memorable run when he was hot and had the more memorable matches.

And anybody who says Warrior couldn't cut a promo is either close minded or just doesnt like the guy. He cut a promo perfect for the character he played and for the era he played it in. Would he have been as over if he cut regular promos? Nope. His mic-work was all part of the Warrior package, and you cant argue success.