What's up with Alberto Del Rio??

As a performer I personally like him, his promo style and ring work I think are very good. I do feel that he and WWE have not capitalized fully on all his skills but that's just my own opinion. What has lead me to this is the reports that the reaction to him in Manchester last night wasn't that great, so I ask, What's up with Alberto Del Rio??

I thought the overall issue with ADR was his initial gimmick of being a rich aristocrat from Mexico - above the people, better than everybody. If they played it straight with him, let him use him family's great wrestling history - and introduced him as Mexico's greatest wrestler - I think that people would have been way more excited. He could have still been a heel, but still pro Mexican - and having him lose a clean match to Super Cena in Mexico - early in his buildup - was pure garbage.

It wasn't early in his build up, it was more than a year into his career and after he'd already won the WWE Title.

If you think losing a meaningless TV match to Cena was his problem, instead of being continually screwed around by booking starting with losing to Edge at Mania, the MITB cash-in jobber period of doom, losing the belt back to Cena for a stupid reason, and also being kind of a boring, one-dimensional character that doesn't work on a main event level, you're out of your mind.

He could definitely have been booked better. Just like, well, everyone.

I am all for giving heels more credibility, but him cheating to win matches is not why he's so messed up. The bad timing of the Edge thing, bad/lazy booking, having a bland character, and not having anything to do most of the time are the main reasons.

My point is, losing a random TV match to Cena had nothing to do with anything.

I can sum it up with one statement. Vince doesn't understand or care for Mexicans. He thinks we're all burrito eating bull fighters.

Vince:"Why do they have to be so brown, dammit? What the f*ck is an enchelada anyway, some kinda rat right? Wait, what? What do you mean my coke guy is a beaner? I specifically said I only want my powder from JTG, dammit!"

Edited by Maxximus

My point on the TV match was that he received an enormous pop in Mexico - as you would expect, and they could have let him win at home without causing any title ramifications whatsoever. But they still chose to have Super Cena beat him, and I thought that was a real slap in the face to him and the Mexican fans.

My point on the TV match was that he received an enormous pop in Mexico - as you would expect, and they could have let him win at home without causing any title ramifications whatsoever. But they still chose to have Super Cena beat him, and I thought that was a real slap in the face to him and the Mexican fans.

If I became Vince tomorrow one of the first things I would do is utilise geography about 100 million times more than they do now. The first ever TV shows from Mexico should have been HUGE events with build up to reflect the growing importance of the Latino fanbase. Instead, it was the same as any other show and had MICHAEL COLE in the main event.

I agree with you on that point, it was bullshit. But again, it really had nothing to do with Alberto's career or reasons why he's a failed main eventer. The show was built so poorly that it was forgotten in a week. It wasn't one of his problems, it's just an excuse to say the words "Super Cena" over and over again.

I keep using the Super Cena due to my utter fascination that his character has not turned heel yet. It drives me crazy that this has not happened, and I feel that it is hurting the business as a whole. I want to see how he does with that role and what he does with it. Much like I was interested in Stone Cold turning heel - just to see if he could pull it off. The wrestling moment of SC, Vince and Kurt Angle - when Austin and Angle were competing for Vince's affections - with SC with the guitar serenading Vince - one of the best wrestling moments ever. I was to see Cena do that, shamelessly turn the whole crowd against him. Doming so will cement him as one of the top ten great ones.

By "boys and their heels" I mean that so many guys have his fascination with wrestlers being heels. They instinctively dislike babyfaces and think heels are better workers, and turn on a dime and start liking a guy as soon as he turns heel. An example being, people saying that Cena should turn heel for the sake of his work. As if he can't possibly be a "great one" if he's a babyface.

Babyfaces can be great workers. Cena can be an all time great guy even if he never turns heel ever again. And in reality, he's not going to turn heel anytime soon for all the obvious reasons. You mentioned Austin's heel turn, and as far as work goes I loved it too, but that was also a huge mistake that they made because it killed the territory. Cena isn't going to turn heel any time soon, so if you're sitting around waiting for it, you'll be perpetually disappointed.

While I agree that Del Rio has been misused, he is just one of the many who have been misused in the WWE over the last few years. The way that a talent is booked is not the "be all, end all" in how over that talent is. Take Dolph Ziggler for example; Dolph is, arguably, the most misused guy in the WWE right now, but remains to be insanely over with the fans.

Del Rio does not bring anything special to the table. He cannot cut promos to save his life and his in-ring work is mediocre, at best. Del Rio has been given a few, brief opportunities to get over in the WWE, but has fallen flat on all of them. The fact that Del Rio has been given multiple World Title runs suggests that WWE creative has some small amount of faith in Del Rio (apparently, more faith than they have in Dolph Ziggler), but I really cannot see a way for WWE to fix Del Rio at this point.

Dolph Ziggler is not, in any way, "insanely over", unless you want to dilute the word "insanely" to an almost meaningless level.

Daniel Bryan is someone who is insanely over. Dolph is a guy who gets chants from smarks in smark towns, but he's no more over than anyone else on his level, like Kofi or the Usos.

I would also say that Alberto is better than mediocre in the ring, but he can definitely be boring and he's almost never a guy who you'd actively seek out his matches. He was, however, pretty damn good in the ring as a babyface, even though it doesn't fit his character at all.

I do agree that he isn't over or talented enough to match his push though.