The 90s. Discuss them.

Jimmy Redman

I have a 21st coming up with a 90s theme, and I am so excited about the endless possibilities of revisiting my childhood that I am opening it up to the class. So hit me with a) dressing up suggestions, and b) general 90s reminisces, because they were awesome.

The best suggestion will be used by me, or possibly ignored altogether. I'm fickle.

Wayne's World, Buffy, Friends, Baddiel & Skinner, The Lightning Seeds, Oasis, TLC, Biggie & Tupac, Nirvana, Nokia 3210, "Snake" on the Nokia 3210, combat trousers, towelling polo shirts, glasses with brightly coloured lenses, Ibiza, trance, waiting 6 months for movies to hit the UK, the Subaru Impreza, Roberto Baggio, Alan Shearer, The Spice Boys, The Spice Girls, Jurassic Park, The Twin Towers.

Cheers!

The Crow.

The aesthetic, the "mood", the soundtrack, the quotes and the characters are all embodiments of an aspect of the 90s that was everywhere at some point or another.

As did "how Kurt Cobain sang". At some point, pretty much every 90's band had a singer with a voice like his.

Cheers!

Rave dummies and jeans with bullet holes in them, with a Karl Kani or Joe Bloggs hoodie.

Or go all out rave and wear paper overalls with a mask full of vicks vaporub?

NAF NAF jackets, or sometimes they were NAFFCO or NAFFI. Oh my, they were disgusting coats. The Superdry of their day.

What were those horrid, overly-emblazoned jeans everyone wore with a NAF NAF jacket? The Von Dutch of their day.

And don't forget the uber-classic 90's sneaker: Acupuncture. Man, I had about three pairs of those :P.

Cheers!

I was just about to post Spliffy jeans until I noticed you'd replied to yourself! :lol

Spliffy Jeans, Joe Bloggs Jeans, and ever so occasionally Dready Jeans. I bypassed Acupuncture (although I think I did have one pair of big a*s velcro ones that were hideous, but 90's me didn't realise and thought they were tippytoppers) and went straight to Reebok Pumps, LA Gear Regulators, and rounded out the decade by buying my first ever pair of Emerica standards and Etnies.

All this talk of the 90s is making me want to listen to the Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, and Underworld albums now...damnit.

I was just about to post Spliffy jeans until I noticed you'd replied to yourself! :lol

Spliffy Jeans, Joe Bloggs Jeans, and ever so occasionally Dready Jeans. I bypassed Acupuncture (although I think I did have one pair of big a*s velcro ones that were hideous, but 90's me didn't realise and thought they were tippytoppers) and went straight to Reebok Pumps, LA Gear Regulators, and rounded out the decade by buying my first ever pair of Emerica standards and Etnies.

All this talk of the 90s is making me want to listen to the Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, and Underworld albums now...damnit.

Talking of 90's albums, this morning I had an overwhelming urge - from nowhere, I'm telling you, it caught me by surprise :lol - to stick "Be Here Now" by Oasis in the car stereo on the way to work. I've got a Fender sound pack in the boot. It sounded Awesome!

Classic 90's albums in my collection include Dig Your Own Hole by Chemical Brothers, Mezzanine by Massive Attack, Urban Hymns by The Verve, Ten by Pearl Jam, Movement in Still Life by BT, and Music for the Jilted Generation by the Prodigy. Drool. What a great time to be alive.

Just remembering my typical 90's wardrobe too: for college it was DKNY jeans with Sonneti towelling polo shirt and my classic "ACU" Acupunctures.

For going out I had Peter Werth trousers, Firetrap shirts, Base London shoes (patent, natch), and a classic Diesel 55 ("the unbranded Diesel range") t-shirt underneath.

Man, I had completely forgotten about Sonneti clothes :lol

Cheers!

What about the Spice Girls, Spawn cartoon, Generation X, Ren and Stimpy, The Arsenio Hall Show, Goth in mainstream, Interview with a Vampire, Bop-it(remember bop-it?) Magic The Gathering, The birth of UFC, Bill Clinton and blow jobs, Bush the first thousand points of light speech, Pogs, etc.

I'll post more as I think of em.

Also, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Beavis and Butthead, Full House, Family Matters, Saved By The Bell, butterfly clips, scrunchies, Hacky sack, slap bracelets, jellies, frosted tips, 90210, mood rings, Bill Nye, Rugrats, Sabrina the teenage witch, The Powerpuff Girls, Moon Shoes, paper fortune tellers, Pokeman, easy bake oven, Furby, Boom boxes with CD players, Beanie Babies, NSYNC, The Backstreet boys, New Kids on the Block, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, Tupac, The Macarena...

Actual music on MTV, 120 minutes, Headbangers ball.

Edited by Maxximus