Chris Hero/Kassius Ohno Released

ViciousPrism

I just watched his last match on NXT and the guy was worse than I remember. He wrestlers like he's a 14 year old's CAW on one of the SmackDown! games. It's terrible. It might be suited for the indy scene but he's a million miles away from being good enough for the WWE. Some idiot (I think from PWInsider) compared his wrestling style to a young Barry Windham and his promo style to a young Mick Foley :lol Yeah, I remember the good old days when guys like Windham used to no sell in meaningless matches, couldn't strike and couldn't do the basics like running to the ropes...

Hero's level is with other useless wrestlers like Quackenbush, Kingston, Super Dragon and the like. The handful of fans at those shows buy into the shitty Dragonball Z routines.

What was no selling about the Brodie match? It was a balls-out beat the crap out of each other match, in the same style as has been seen all over NXT and WWE. And Ohno was selling for most of it if I recall correctly. So much so that when he got that one hope spot and nearfall the announcers started literally screaming.

This is neither here nor there because I wouldn't compare the two in anything other than body shape, but Barry Windham absolutely used to no sell shit. He's one of the most overrated wrestlers I've ever seen.

Also, have you watched some Sami Zayn matches yet?

Edited by Jimmy Redman

What was no selling about the Brodie match? It was a balls-out beat the crap out of each other match, in the same style as has been seen all over NXT and WWE. And Ohno was selling for most of it if I recall correctly. So much so that when he got that one hope spot and nearfall the announcers started literally screaming.
There were a few different moves but off the top of my head, when his opponent had Hero stood up and out on his feet, then as he ran to the ropes, so did Hero, completely no selling the daze he'd been in a second ago. The way he hit the rolling elbow was rubbish too, again, because he wasn't selling properly, and there were a few other things about his work in the match that annoyed me, though I'd have to watch it again to specify those.

I don't mind tough, back and forth, hard hitting matches but that isn't what Hero does. There's that, and then there's refusing to sell properly because you want the 'surprising comeback out of nowhere' spots that are usually reserved for The Undertaker matches at WrestleMania. When it's an irrelevant match on a show that nobody cares about, things like that have no meaning. There's a time and place for that style of wrestling and it's not something which always works. Rather than it telling a story of a war, I'd say it's just selfish bullshit from a guy who wants to get himself over rather than making the opponent look good.

Also, have you watched some Sami Zayn matches yet?

Nah, I've not, unfortunately. I will check him out sometime though.

I can agree that Hero can work in the way in which you describe, especially since it's such an indy staple, but I just disagree that the Brodie match in particular was especially egregious. I felt in general that he sold well throughout that, mainly because Brodie kept kicking the shit out of him, and the few hope spots he had (even if they technically involved 'no selling') were rare enough, timed well enough, and were immediately followed by Brodie kicking his face off again, that they worked.

'No selling' isn't a uniformly bad thing across the board. There are times when it works in the context of someone having a burst of energy/being suitably provoked/staging a Hulk Up or Superman comeback. You don't have to be dead all the time to be selling.

WWE is a cosmetic product, there's no getting around that.

What I've been hearing isn't that his physique was the problem as much as his attitude regarding his physique. It wasn't as important to look good as much as being seen to be trying to look good. Not making that effort paints you as lazy and uncooperative, which is going to get you nowhere in WWE.

'No selling' isn't a uniformly bad thing across the board. There are times when it works in the context of someone having a burst of energy/being suitably provoked/staging a Hulk Up or Superman comeback. You don't have to be dead all the time to be selling.

I agree, though I think it's been massively overused, especially on the indy scene, and should be reserved for the biggest matches of the year. Every time WrestleMania comes around, you can guarantee that The Undertaker and his opponent will end up kicking out of moves which were heavily protected a few years ago, but it works because of the occasion and the magnitude of the matches. It can be effective and add to the matches but that doesn't mean it can add to every match that the tactic is used in. When I stopped watching ROH, part of the reason I did was because the first match of the night would be plagued by no-selling and it had a massively detrimental effect on the rest of the show because nothing was being put into perspective; you need the finishers to be protected for 99% of the time, so on that rare occasion when a guy does kick out of finisher or do a 'fighting spirit' spot, it means something. It's shocking and sucks you into the match but if it's being overused, it then means nothing. It should be a rare spot, used in a handful of matches each year in the entire industry. For a guy like Hero to be doing these same spots in irrelevant matches has a detrimental effect on the rest of the product the WWE puts out.

It's like blood. I'd love to see blood brought back for maybe three or four matches a year in the WWE, to add some violence to major matches but that was also been used far too often during the mid/late 90s, to a point where it started to become nothing. It's something which can be an excellent addition to a match but when it gets used regularly, it means less and less, and then when it's needed to add another layer of storytelling to a big match, it just doesn't because the fans are so used to it.

Like I said in a previous post, there's a time and place for all these things and an irrelevant match on NXT is neither of those. When wrestlers do sh*t like this, it stinks of them being far more concerned about themselves, rather than their opponent, the show or even the industry as a whole.

Didn't Hero fail because of failing to look how WWE wanted him too look? Which I find Ironic when you have Bray Wyatt on TV every week

Bray Wyatt has a great look though whereas Hero looks like your average fan in the crowd. He cuts promos about knocking people out, yet there's nothing even slightly intimating about the way he looks. He doesn't look tough, strong, fast, hard hitting...there's just nothing there at all. He looks like a wimp.