Work Problems/Colleagues

Ciaran The King

How many of us out there deal with work colleagues who just basically really really annoys us and who have problems at work that never get solved????

I have personally worked in a few places where colleagues have been way above their station and treated staff like sh*t and where manager/bosses turn a blind eye because that person is too volatile or not worth the hassle.

I have a boss who turns a blind eye to people not doing their job or just taking the michael all because they are woman and will flirt with him. I got a verbal warning recently as a certain female member of staff badmouthed me to the boss and i wasnt allowed to defend myself. I now refuse to help said member of staff with basic pc usage as she cant do them.

Ive been a Team Leader or Lead as we call it for the past 5 weeks.

In those 5 weeks I have never in my life seen so much backstabbing, bitchyness, and downright school-yard BS from immature man children as I've ever seen in my entire life. I'm absolutely sick and tired of people expected to be handed stuff then bitching when they don't get it, causing shit for other people and pointing the finger of blame at anyone else other than themselves.

I'd get them all mirrors for Christmas so they can point the finger directly at themselves and not me for them not doing their job, but they won't last til then. Being pro-active apparently is something many just don't have.

Yeah, angry rant over and done with. Had a bad couple of weeks with some absolute morons who work for me.

Edited by Kam

In every place I've worked I've always found that I'm generally popular enough and a pretty decent worker, but there always - ALWAYS - one, sometimes two (depending on the size of the office) person or people who just. Cannot. Stand. Me. At all. And it's wierd, as it's not like I do anything to them. If I walk in to a new office with, say, 10 people in it... 9 people will look up and think "oh, a new guy, he seems alright, I'll say hello to him a bit later" and 1 will go "hate him". Immediately. It's almost unnerving.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that one person will try - will desperately try - to make your life a misery. They will constantly try to get you in trouble, don't help you out, spread gossip about you, and generally just be complete fudging bumhats. Grr.

I personally think it's because of my way in the office. I'm quiet, diligent, a proper hard worker... but I am totally laid back, chilled out, and able to make light of being busy and take it all in my stride, and still produce as much work, as many sales, whatever, as the people who get all stressed out about things all the time.

Saying that, the office I'm in now isn't so bad. There is certainly a person who absolutely fudging HATES me for no reason other than they're filled with hate and need to project it on to someone, but it's all cool. :xyx.

Cheers!

Thanks Kam.

I've found I generally got on with everyone until I progressed and bettered myself as I do everywhere I work. In a year I've gone from new hire to leadership.

And a lot of it is, not just because I'm a damned good worker, but that I'm proactive. If I know something may be available, I'll go for it or ask about it. I don't wait for stuff to fall into my lap. And it's served me well because I'm now team leader and have a personal development plan not only to make that permanent but then to step up as area manager to cover holiday and absence and then become one myself.

And then there's the people who bitch and make rumours up because you've surpassed them in half the time and take it seriously. I've always thought I was pretty popular at work, and I am generally, but it's that small percentage who think they should be where I am without working for it that don't like me. And I guess I'm fine with it, because I'm there for a job and a career.

Damn I am pretty serious and straight laced these days. What happened to me man, I used to be fun.

Thanks Kam.

I've found I generally got on with everyone until I progressed and bettered myself as I do everywhere I work. In a year I've gone from new hire to leadership.

And a lot of it is, not just because I'm a damned good worker, but that I'm proactive. If I know something may be available, I'll go for it or ask about it. I don't wait for stuff to fall into my lap. And it's served me well because I'm now team leader and have a personal development plan not only to make that permanent but then to step up as area manager to cover holiday and absence and then become one myself.

And then there's the people who bitch and make rumours up because you've surpassed them in half the time and take it seriously. I've always thought I was pretty popular at work, and I am generally, but it's that small percentage who think they should be where I am without working for it that don't like me. And I guess I'm fine with it, because I'm there for a job and a career.

Damn I am pretty serious and straight laced these days. What happened to me man, I used to be fun.

to be fair, if you became a leader in a year and some was there for 5 or 10 years and knows more about the job, i for one would understand their annoyace especially in business would people don't always get promoted based on ability but rather they have the gift of the gab but little more. no saying that is you at all just i can understand annoyance of people with less experience getting promoted before people have be there and done that.

If you've been somewhere 5-10 years and you get turned down for a job for someone who's been there less time then the only thing you should be doing is looking in the mirror and working out why that experience isn't putting you ahead of everyone else.

Bitter entrenched people are the worst. Sat doing the same job for God knows how long and feel like they are indispensable and know everything and can't seem to understand why no one seems to appreciate them or why they keep missing out on things. I can almost guarantee that anyone like that thinks they already do enough work and huff and complain should they be asked to do something different or take on some extra duties and never take any initiative in the work life. Too many people think that long service automatically puts you front of the queue for promotion.

100% agree. Well, 99% agree.

The 1% is reserved for those bitter people who have been doing a job for years and years and no one in any department ahead of you, ever, retires :P.

Actually make that 98%. The other 1% is also reseved for those who have been doing a job for years and years and then see the bosses offspring/friend promoted ahead of you.

Without wanting to get my mum in too much of a tight situation at work, but she works at The Something Something "Medical Facility". Been doing it for years. Years and years. Knows more about her job than pretty much anyone else in the country, and that's no joke (it's a pretty niche job). Awesome fountain of knowledge and her colleagues and patients recognise her for her qualities. Trouble is, one of the bosses gave their son a job. Straight out of school. I kid you not. He's 16 and earning a packet. He has now employed his schoolfriends as his middle management.

I am really not joking when I say you have a team of 30x 50-60 somethings with hundreds of years experience between them reporting to about 4x 16 year olds, straight out of school.

So yeah, bitter and entrenched. Anyone would be. But I agree 100% with the other 98% of Omega's post :P.

Cheers!

In every place I've worked I've always found that I'm generally popular enough and a pretty decent worker, but there always - ALWAYS - one, sometimes two (depending on the size of the office) person or people who just. Cannot. Stand. Me. At all. And it's wierd, as it's not like I do anything to them.

Maybe if you stopped saying "Cheers!" after every sentence you say to them then ;)

I am really annoyed at the moment. Work has got me doing my svq level 2 in health and social care. That's not the prob as i asked for it and pushed to be on it as every care job in scotland from next year you need to have one, but the assessor despite saying that we can email her and call her with any queries and send stuff for reviewing hasn't got back to my first unit.

grr! Least get in touch so i know you have the damn thing!

There's a guy I hate. He's actually a decent guy, but he's on a better contract than me with a slightly better hourly rate and more responsibility, yet I'm better at the job than he is, and he is consistently making mistakes. I've only been there three months though, so hopefully I'll move up to the better position soon. The signs are good in that regard.

One thing that grinds my gears alot, and I've seen it a couple times in the past, is people promoted BECAUSE of their long service, over less experienced people who are actually much more suited to the job. That's annoying. In my old job I had to take orders of a f*cking imbecile because she by chance happened to have been there for two years, while most other people had only been there less than a year.

Edited by Magic

One thing that grinds my gears alot, and I've seen it a couple times in the past, is people promoted BECAUSE of their long service, over less experienced people who are actually much more suited to the job.

I left a job because of that, I lost it to someone who had been there longer and she was know for causing trouble so they gave it to her to keep her sweet

One thing that grinds my gears alot, and I've seen it a couple times in the past, is people promoted BECAUSE of their long service, over less experienced people who are actually much more suited to the job.

I left a job because of that, I lost it to someone who had been there longer and she was know for causing trouble so they gave it to her to keep her sweet

I rather troublemakers in charge who aren't afraid to call a spade a spade even if its unpopular than a yes man everyday of the week.

Totally agree with what Omega said.

One guy got a conduct warning for basically standing around for 5 hours, and his response was "I've been here twice as long as Fletch, I should be lead not him". As if service length and doing sod all is entitlement to my role.

Try being proactive and self-learning and going the extra mile, because that's how I got my job.