John Cena

Chris2K

Will Cena break Flair's record?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cena break Flair's record?

• Yes, he will win 17 or more World Titles
    • No, he will stay between 13-15
    • No, he will equal Flair's 16 but not pass it

I've kept the title vague to begin with, but if it could be changed to "Will John Cena Pass 16 World Titles?" when the spoiler time is over I'd greatly appreciate it :).

So at HIAC John Cena won his 13th World/WWE Title to draw him level with Triple H. For a long time it was widely believed that HHH would overtake Ric Flair's much heralded record of 16 World Titles in North America, only to tone down his title victories towards the end of his career.

However it's highly unlikely that John Cena is near the end of his career, so will he eventually surpass Flair's record and become a 17 time World Champion even with Flair's best pal HHH running things? And if so, how many will he finish his career on?

Edited by Chris2K

I don't see how they can avoid it. As long as he keeps working it seems inevitable. He's going at a rate of more than one a year, and he'll definitely be on top for another 3-4 years health permitting.

I told my brother that this would happen like a year ago, and he was aghast and horrified. But it's going to happen. Depending on how they play it, it may even become a big chunk of his legacy, in official WWE terms anyway. Winning the most world titles in history is a hell of a kayfabe thing, even though titles are different now.

The point of the poll was to see what people thought, I'm not entirely sure how everyone voting the same way makes it a waste of time. I was also interested to see if anyone would bring up that Cena himself might not want to go past Flair's record as a mark of respect, but nobody did. Personally I think that's the reason Hunter stopped at 13.

The point of the poll was to see what people thought, I'm not entirely sure how everyone voting the same way makes it a waste of time. I was also interested to see if anyone would bring up that Cena himself might not want to go past Flair's record as a mark of respect, but nobody did. Personally I think that's the reason Hunter stopped at 13.

To be honest I think Hunter stopped at 13 because he moved into a part-time role and no longer happened to win world titles. I think he would have thought about it in some way, for sure, but then reality kicks in and if Hunter was theoretically going to, say, anchor Smackdown for two more years, he'd need to be winning titles for that and I don't see them taking "Sorry, I don't care about your plans, I'm not going to win any more Smackdown titles because I respect Ric Flair too much" very seriously.

Plus to be frank, of all the major stars in the business, I think Cena would be the last person in the world to ever feel or say that. He's never seemed like much of a mark for titles or things of that nature.

That's my point though. If Hunter WAS in a position where he needed to win more world titles, he would have won them, Ric Flair be damned. It just happens that he didn't, and now Cena is the guy in that position, but the difference is that he still has many years of winning titles to come.

I don't get the impression from Cena that he really loses sleep about things like winning titles. Anyone in that position is a mark to a certain extent, but I think he's far more a mark for things like the company, being the hero to children and Make A Wish guy, and the lifestyle of being a top guy, rather than titles or some sort of wrestling legacy that a guy like Hunter seems to crave.