Cody Donovan vs. Gian Villante

[video=youtube;a8IAyP7kHEE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8IAyP7kHEE

Edited by John Hancock

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
I feel like the UFC should have done so much more for the 20th anniversary show. Plan A was Silva vs. Jones in Madison Square Garden, with Velaquez/JDS III as semi-main, which I feel could have poked at the two million mark, but Plan B looks like a completely standard GSP card. You take this and compare it to UFC 100, with two title fights, and a TUF coaches fight. I feel like next month, with Silva/Weidman and Rousey/Tate should have been the anniversary show. No way is 167 breaking a million, I'll be surprised if it breaks 800,000.

I COULD HAVE BEEN DOING SOMETHING ELSE, YOU DON'T KNOW ME!

You didn't really miss anything. I was busy and missed the undercard, but looks like there was a f*ck ton of decisions, so I'm glad. The story of the show so far is that all my predictions are right so far, and that Rory MacDonald is a great twiner.

EDIT: GSP is f*cking with everyone tonight about this retirement thing. This is what Ariel Helwani just posted on Twitter;

I just asked Greg Jackson if he'll be in GSP's corner. He said he is letting GSP's mentor Midoux take his spot. I asked, why? "It's important he's there tonight," he said.
Edited by John Hancock

That fight put me two for three too. Lawler was 4/1 underdog.

EDIT: Sandman vs. 19th Century Steamship Captain is probably going to stink, but, every time I see it, I remember how much I love GSP's little French flag mouthpiece. Best mouthpiece in sports.

EDIT EDIT: Either GSP finishes the fight or loses with the judge's at this point, right? For non-French speakers, GSP's coach just basically told him to "act like a champion".

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Genuine question that might deserve it's own thread; will 2013 go down in history as the year the UFC destroyed itself? Silva loses, GSP loses, Diaz retires, Rampage leaves, Sonnen implodes, Overeem implodes, the heavyweight division exhausts it's only real fight, Velasquez and Jones do shitty pay-per-view numbers. What star power do they really have left at this point?

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: OH F*CK RIGHT OFF! THE F*CK KIND OF DECISION IS THAT!? I never, NEVER call fix, but damn, how the f*ck did that happen? GSP can't even make a convincing retirement speech.

Edited by John Hancock

Apparently most of the media in attendence had GSP winning, rounds 1,3 and 5 went to him mostly. The lame stream media at it again. Hendricks for sure won two rounds pretty big and I'm inclined to give him at least one of the others. GSP won round 5 alright, 3 and 1 are close, as I said though I had it for Hendricks.

http://i.imgur.com/8HFQTkH.jpg

Enjoyed Sonnen's ass kicking a tremendous amount and loved Rory losing too, I'm such a hater. Good event overall, missing the pomp, pagentry and jets overhead of a real 20th anniversary though.

Alvarez gave it to GSP, but blamed it on how shitty the 10-9 scoring system is. He has a point. Everyone agrees that Hendricks won 2 and 4 and GSP won 3 and 5 and, whilst Hendricks obviously smashed GSP to bits overall, the stupid scoring system means that doesn't matter and it's entirely down to who you think won the first round. I still think Hendricks won 48-47, taking the first, second and fourth rounds, but the silliness of the system leaves it open to a title retention not being completely out of the question.

Dana's flipping out though, it's awesome. He hates the judges, he hates Nevada, he hates the 10-9 points system, he hates everything right now.

[video=youtube;fe_UMCY4jdI]

Also, I was stunned to see the amount of people on Twitter who think the championship advantage is a real rule. People were defending the decision by saying that to win the title by decision, you have to win convincingly, and, if it's a close fight, there's an official rule that the champion always retains. Which is complete nonsense.

Edited by John Hancock