Randy Orton Super Worker?

I'm a fan of Orton as you all know and I've always enjoyed his work since he made his debut. Since Summerlam I have been overjoyed with his deserved rise back to the summit of WWE and his current story line as the chosen one is perfect for the narcissistic Orton. One thing I want to comment on is the way Orton has turned into a ring general, for me personally he easily rivals Bryan as the best worker in WWE.

Orton rarely get's it wrong in the ring and he always set's a standard for younger stars on the roster. Orton has been consistently good for the past 2 years putting on great matches on TV and PPV and doing more clean jobs than any other star of his level. Since Wrestlemania Orton has been on fire and since Summerlsam alongside Bryan he has been WWE's premier worker. You need only to watch Randy's encounter with Goldust to see how good he is, over the course of the match Goldust was his equal before he pinned him following an RKO.

Orton in my opinion is reaching the heights he did during his 2007-2010 run but this time he has matured and his work rate and ring skills are top notch. The 2013 version of Randy Orton is one I think can lead the company to new heights with the talented young roster below him

I'm with ciaran all the way here. What do you mean with the right people? He's worked great matches with so many other guys in the past 2 years its insane. I don't think u could name another guy on the roster who has worked great matches with more guys. Orton is a ring general and maybe the best in ring worker week in and week out. He is by far the best in ring heel in the company and u can't even find a second behind him because its so far back to whomever number 2 is.

I think at the moment Orton isn't quite back to working as a heel yet. It's hard when you've been a babyface for so long, and especially with the way that he nailed his way of working his array of crowd-pleasing spots in, I feel like those spots are still there and he works a little too...enjoyably for a heel, if that makes sense. He's getting there, the moments where he has to be sadistic and kill people he nails, but generally speaking in matches, he just needs to turn the Garvin Stomps and chinlocks up to 99 and he'll be sweet.

I don't think he's close to being WWE's best worker. Bryan, Cesaro and the Shield are miles ahead of him right now. Big Show is better too. That's just off the top of my head. There are also guys who have been far more productive this year in terms of output. He's been very, very solid this year, but I think he was literally light years better in 2011 when he had a lot more great matches with more people. This year I can't name many great matches he's had. Just good ones.

I'm with ciaran all the way here. What do you mean with the right people? He's worked great matches with so many other guys in the past 2 years its insane. I don't think u could name another guy on the roster who has worked great matches with more guys. Orton is a ring general and maybe the best in ring worker week in and week out. He is by far the best in ring heel in the company and u can't even find a second behind him because its so far back to whomever number 2 is.

Consistently worked great matches? No, I don't think so. Consistently decent matches sure but we all know that Orton in first or second gear is still going to have watchable matches, he's raised his game during this Bryan feud but that's because of the quality of his opponent and probably that he's enjoying getting his teeth into something meaty angle wise than just being "face of Smackdown".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Orton is sh*t or anything but super worker suggests every week he goes out, regardless of match importance and puts in 110% and as Jimmy points out Bryan, Cesaro and The Shield are all way ahead of Orton in terms of putting real feeling into every match they are in. Best in ring heels right now, well, I'd probably say The Wyatts bring a heelish intensity that is hard to look past but then again The Shield both as a group or individually manage to be heels in the ring and still get boos despite being loved by a large proportion of the audience (take note Dolph!) which is, to me at least, a major achievement in the current wrestling age.

I agree, I think he needs the win more than Bryan at HIAC to cement his rise back to the top and for the new Orton heel character to be established.

Question for you then, if you agree with Jimmy that Orton needs to work on his heel in ring characterisation in matches why do you think the booked result of any one match is going to do that?

Actually that's a very good point. in reality Orton is a stooge (in kayfabe), albeit a very credible stooge. He's The McMahons pick for champ only because Hunter isn't wrestling anymore. If there's any chance they want to turn him back to being a face at the end of all this that's a very good position to maintain because he can immediately turn on Trips for treating him like a stooge.

Archived