The Shield, Where it all began

• 4 weeks later...

The Shield is done as a unit when Roman Reigns gets his singles babyface push. Maybe after Mania?

Me? I'd never bust up the Shield. There's no reason too. They can all have singles pushes and remain a group. I can hear Vince now, "That's too damn complicated and no one will understand it because I don't understand it. Berry it! Berry the Shield and push the big guy!"

I feel like I am going to shed actual tears when they do the break up.

I would not care if they NEVER broke up. I don't think I would ever get tired of them working tags and six mans against whoever until the end of time.

Still, if they are not long for the world, I've said it before but their run of matches from TLC to now has to be one of the very best in-ring years in history. Like, ever. It's ridiculous how much quality they have spewed, helped of course by WWE's new policy of everyone working 53 times a week.

It's kind of crazy to think, then, that their first match could still be their best match.

They have the best theme music and intro going right now. I can't explain why the three of them "works" - but I wouldn't be surprised that if you split the three the whole thing would stop working. Kind of reminds me of the NEXUS in that together they seemed super legit, apart you have a bunch of clowns.

Me? I'd never bust up the Shield. There's no reason too. They can all have singles pushes and remain a group.

I completely agree, I never understood the concept of having to break up a group because one of them is gaining popularity. Keep the unit as it is, allow them to pursue singles titles and gain notoriety while still having the back up of each other

I don't get how you can be such a "I want good wrestling and good matches!" guy, and have a problem with THE SHIELD.

I mean, it's only one of the best in-ring years in major company history. They only average a great match every week. I can see why you'd want more from them.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

I don't get how you can be such a "I want good wrestling and good matches!" guy, and have a problem with THE SHIELD.

I mean, it's only one of the best in-ring years in major company history. They only average a great match every week. I can see why you'd want more from them.

Because they don't do anything different, it works on the short term but a year later mmmm.

You say one of the best in ring year but to me the WWE style of wrestling is dull and they don't do anything new.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Because they don't do anything different, it works on the short term but a year later mmmm.

You say one of the best in ring year but to me the WWE style of wrestling is dull and they don't do anything new.

What kind of "new" do you want from them exactly? Wrestling isn't about reinventing the wheel, it is built on established patterns of work and tropes that crowds recognise and react to.

Even accepting this, in an age of a million rematches a week, The Shield are one of the best acts I've seen in terms of making their matches distinct by adding and mixing in little things to remain interesting on offense. Each week any one of the three could take centre stage, Rollins could be a pinball getting bumped around or an overbearing shit antagonising the apron or anywhere in between, they could be dominant or have their own tactics used against them and struggle a bit more, they could be building to the spear as the big death move, or it could be another move entirely (Rollins' knee, Ambrose's finish, the triple powerbomb, the barricade spear), they could work over one guy, two guys, all three guys, they could get overwhelmed and sneak out a victory like douches, or come up against a force like Bryan and succumb.

On paper it may say "The Shield vs three guys" for about 20 matches this year, but they are all different matches and all awesome for it.

I realise I'm spitting into the wind here, but I guess I'm not trying to change your mind as much as use your objections to go riffing on a topic I very much like discussing.

I don't get there appeal, they are talented, well two of them are, but they have basically been doing the same thing for a year I was bored of them after 3 months. but each to there own i guess
Let me guess; Roman Reigns is the odd man out here?

WWE = BAD

That's the reason Jay doesn't like them.

I was thinking about it today and as much of a no-brainer as it is when booking people, one of the main reasons The Shield have lasted is that their push has not been a stop-start situation. Also, they've been presented as equals of the established stars and booked to be pretty much unbeatable.

Sure, they may have the odd slip, but for the most part they have been presented as a virtually invulnerable unit and, as has been said before, perception is reality in WWE.