Paul Heyman, Wrestling genius?

I recently watched the 'Rise & Fall of ECW' just because it is a great insight into ECW.

The question that popped into my mind was "where does Paul Heyman fit into the history of wrestling?"

I know Paul Heyman as the guy who strolled onto Monday Night Raw in 2001 and sat alongside J.R. at the announce desk and then lead the ECW invasion during the abysmal invasion angle. In the years after he introduced Brock Lesnar, became smackdown GM and relaunched ECW in WWE's vision. Most recently he returned as Punk and Lesnar's manager and more recently he took to guiding the careers of Curtis Axel and Ryback. Personally he has been the highlight of many episodes of Raw and SD with amazing performances and blistering promos and gave and outstanding performance during the Punk/Lesnar feud.

Obviously he has done so much more in the years before I remember and he may go on to do much more but I ask "How good is Paul Heyman?"

Totally agree with Jimmy. Excellent creative guy, excellent on-screen character, excellent talent scout, shitty businessman, shitty pro-wrestling promoter. He's the kind of guy who works best when he's working for someone else, which is the same for a massive amount of backstage guys, especially big controversial names like Heyman and, of course, Vince Russo.

Yeah I was about to say, when I read over what I and Rock said, maybe I should rephrase that. As a promoter he had a successful #3 promotion that got as close as you want to claim to WCW houses towards the end. He also created a lasting brand name that made serious money long after it went under (just not for him) and revolutionised the way wrestling was worked in America to a certain extent.

I thought Heyman was a hell of a promoter. He made an entire city obsess about his company. There has never been a more loyal fanbase in wrestling than the original ECW fanbase. They took pride in what they did. Heyman also gave alot of guys who would have never had a shot with WWE or WCW great exposure. Heyman also allowed the open forum which resulted in some of the absolute best and historic promos in wrestling. Steve Austin and Mic Foley just to name a few.

I'd say he is.

In terms of a promo man, he is amazing. When he promotes a fight, he is captivating, he effortlessly plugs the date and time a few times without it being obvious, he just hits all of his marks A1. As a booker, he brought the best out of a limited talent pool.