The Newsroom

Jimmy Redman

I've turned around on The Newsroom. I lost interest soon into Season 1 because it came off like a parody of a Sorkin show, but I feel like Season 2 has been much better and I can actually get invested in the characters now.

God I love The Newsroom, loved season 1 and season 2 has just got better and better can't wait for tonight's episode.

Yes I watched this last night. Didn't think it was their best episode but it was certainly a very good one.

Without wanting to spoil anything, I thought the best bit was towards the end when Will went and saw the girl and explained his actions and state of mind. Lovely sentimental, tenderish moment.

As for characters, Newroom is choc-full of brilliant, really likeable characters. Saying that, I used to hate Dom or Don? Maggie's ex-boyfriend. At first he was a proper stuck up douchebag but I've come to realise that's just supreme confidence, and he's a genuine bloke too. I guess I like Jim, Charlie, Will and Sloane the best. Charlie gets some great lines.

Cheers!

Jim and Maggie are kind of horrifically unlikeable to me, I have to say. I said above that the show used to seem like a parody, well those two are pretty much the worst parody of the nerdy, awkward, "aww shucks", everyperson loser that you are supposed to root for, but without any genuine attractiveness to them. Not physical attractiveness, but personal.

The Jim/Maggie/Don triangle was I think the main reason that I lost interest in S1, because I gave zero f*cks about them ending up together and it was all-pervasive. One of the things I like about S2 is that they moved away from it, stopped portraying Don as a one-dimensional bad guy, and actually made at least Maggie seem somewhat personable and interesting.

Will and Charlie rule, they are the best. Sloan I love. Don gets pretty good post-Maggie. Mac I also like most of the time. It's just the "likeable" ones that are f*cking excruciating to watch.

I love the show, although I'm not particularly attached to any of the characters. I like Sloan and Maggie because they're pretty, the OWS girl Shelley and Jim's new girlfriend from the Romney campaign because they're also pretty, and Will and Sam because they get given all the best lines.

I'm glad Jeff Daniels won the Emmy for best actor, although mainly because it stopped Breaking Bad from getting an award.

Edited by Chris2K

When I saw Maggie's hair in the first episode I nearly had a panic attack. And that's coming from someone who normally likes redheads. As you say, it doesn't suit her face at all, but I guess that was the idea to show how much she'd gone off the rails.

I'm also not a big fan of Neal, for someone who is just a low level website guy he seems to think his importance is far more than it would be in any real life newsroom.