JR Retirement / The State of Announcing

John Hancock

Jim Ross has announced his retirement from WWE.

I for one will miss him. To me he was always far and away better at putting wrestlers over than the other current announcers. He is also the only one I was able to listen to for more than two hours without getting annoyed. (Maybe with the exception of Scott Stanford and Regal.) He came across as the only one with the purpose of calling the action as opposed to getting in fights with the other commentators.

I wish him the best of luck in his retirement. I won't miss McMahon wheeling him out just to berate him and then putting back. I am fairly certain that will continue, but here's to optimism.

Edited by Will O the Wisp

Fair enough he's better than Cole, but come on, we're talking Cole, one of THE worst commentators ever. Everybody is better than Cole. Lawler is a lazy parody of himself, he hasnt been good for years. Ross stands out because he's decent but also because everybody else is so useless. Its the same with the talent, Ive been saying it for years. Some of these turds who people say are good only look good because the talent roster is so thin. Put them in other era's and they wouldnt be anything. Look at Mark Henry, complete jobber when WWE had real stars in the Attitude Era, now he's a main eventer. Thats not because Mark Henry is good, its an indication of the state of the roster in 2013.

Going back to commentators, it's remarkable that Michael Cole has such little presence even though he's been on air since 1997/8. He's commentated on hugely significant matches with some of the biggest names in history during a period when wrestling was huge and he's been around for nearly 20 years, yet if he was fired tomorrow, I don't think anyone would miss him. I can't think of anything he's ever done well, he's just either been 'there' or been annoying beyond belief. I can't think of anyone else who has had such a prominent role, who has been anywhere near as easy to forgettable as Cole has.

I thought he was quite good in the late 90s. I particularly remember him making Mankind's first title win that little bit more special, especially as the babyface to Lawler's corporate heel; "For everyone who's ever been told, you can't do it" "You... you can't do it!". He REALLY started going downhill when he became Vince's mouthpiece. Obviously the absolute low point was when they tried to give him a gimmick, which was made the show's literally unwatchable, but even since that, he's just very forced. He commentates from a script almost, you know those aren't his words.

Back to JR - I understand the point of wrestlers today not being as good as those 'back in the day' (whether I agree or not is neither here nor there, but FWIW I don't), but Jim Ross of today would absolutely fit into wrestling back in the 80s. In fact, he did back then and only got better over time. The 80s weren't exactly brimming with commentary talent either. Remove Lance Russell, Jesse Ventura and Bobby Heenan and you have Gorilla Monsoon who had a great voice but talked a truckload of sh*t, Vince McMahon who was awful, Lord Alfred Hayes who was on par with Mongo McMichael, Tony Schiavone who was alright but again saw marked improvement between 95-97 until he stopped caring once and for all in 1999, and Gordon Solie who was either the very best or most boring announce you've ever heard.

The Jim Ross of today would stonewall walk into any announcing team of that day and be an improvement.

I'm not saying he wasnt as good or better than whoever in the 80's, infact Ross was very good in the 80's in the NWA, far better than he was in the WWF. Ross got worse as the years went on and his interest level dipped, just like Lawler, they started calling it in, pardon the pun. Ross of whenever he has come in recently wasnt a patch on Ross of the Attitude Era and Ross of the NWA days, but he didnt seem any worse because he was working with such shitty guys when he came back, specifically Cole who is f*cking horrendous.