A Bigger star after leaving WWE?

Ciaran The King

In this months edition of Power Slam a reader asked if WWE would try and sign Batista on a Rock like deal to make one off appearances now that his fame is growing after leaving wrestling/WWE?

I then thought after that 'Is the Rock a bigger star now than what he was when working for WWE?

I thought about this as although Batista was a fairly big star he never was the best and until his last few months with WWE he was pretty mediocre.

So that brought me to the Rock and I started thinking about his run with WWE and what he did and what he accomplished and it got me thinking that is he considered a bigger star after leaving WWE. For me personally his return to WWE over the last two years were mediocre at best and overall it wasn't very enjoyable as just like the WM before the climax was quite dull

This just doesn't apply to the Rock

Edited by Ciaran The King

This has nothing much to do with The Rock, but Brock Lesnar became a bigger star after leaving WWE in terms of a US audience, probably not internationally though. Another random example is KURRGAN~!.

I would say The Rock is a bigger star in America now than he was as a wrestler, his movies are frequently top of the box office and he commands an enormous fee for every one. That said, I expect more people would call him The Rock still rather than Dwayne Johnson.

I wouldn't exactly say Keibler was massively famous though

She is though. Clooney, that dancing show, guest starring in a thousand sit-coms, she got "Punk'd" as a celebrity, rather than as a wrestler, she briefly owned some failure of a basketball team, she hosts a show, she does some Call of Duty thing I don't really understand, she does commercials... She's known.

EDIT; https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Stacy%20Keibler&oe=UTF-8&um=1&hl=en&biw=1439&bih=784&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw&ei=rnM0UprFN86d7ga67IFY#hl=en&q=Stacy+Keibler&rls=en&tbm=nws

Edited by John Hancock

Would you say Don Callis / Cyrus became a bigger star (i.e. more people knew who he was, relatively speaking) when he left WWE and went to ECW? How about Tracy Smothers?

How about Nathan Jones and Robert Maillet (for their acting work) and Christopher Nowinski for his work relating to head trauma.

Trish Stratus with her yoga stuff and acting career? DDP with his yoga stuff?

I think the biggest test of all is which ex-wrestlers are so famous in their own right that they aren't even referred to as ex-wrestlers. Brock Lesnar was close when he was with the UFC, Ken Shamrock's probably there, but I don't know who else. Kiebler, DDP, Ventura, The Rock, all those guys are identified as ex-wrestlers in any article about them. I guess The Rock's pretty close.