Boardwalk Empire Season 4 (Spoilers)

King

I'm nervous. Firstly, there's no Gyp, I don't see where you go from there. I didn't really care when Jimmy died, firstly, because Jimmy's "I died in the trenches" scene was the best thing ever, ever, ever, and secondly, because I didn't like him, but Gyp was the heart of season three, and pretty much the most entertaining thing in the entire world. "And he's gunna keep on sherriffing", "D.L. Collingsworth, proprietor", "You smug kike midget", "Holding up my very important socks", "Everybody got guns", asking Jesus who the f*ck he thinks he is, every scene he was in was an absolute treat. Before Gyp, the New York guys were always those guys, those sort of removed, semi-cartoonish, highlight of the episode guys, Bugsy Siegel being a really nerdishly accurate Bugsy without the show itself ever saying who he is, just to make people with an interest in gangster history feel smug, Rothstein being God, Meyer Lansky being the super-Jew, Luciano being the show's most likeable character (to me anyway), the genuinely touching friendship between Lansky and Luciano being the only relationship in the whole show you can trust (the way Luciano speaks Yiddish and Lansky speaks Italian is the sweetest thing ever), the constant insults against New Jersey ("You expect me to start a war in New York, where things actually matter?" "No, he runs New York, maybe you heard of it?"), man, I love everything in this show that isn't a main character (including Chalky White literally making himself a field nigger, whittling away because he can't relate to his house slave family, and then trying to impress people by pretending to read).

My problem is that I hate all the actual main characters. I don't care about stupid Nucky and his stupid family and his stupid wife, Gyp should have blown them all up, so it would be Gyp vs. Rothstein in the season four, which is what everyone wanted anyway. Also, it looks like Rothstein's going to be the bad guy of this series, which could be a problem, because I want him to win.

My wish list for the series is;

- Less of the Irish New Jersey lot, I don't care. The only cool one was Owen, and now he's dead.

- More Al Capone with his son, because I'm a masochist, and that shit breaks my heart.

- Don't make the New Yorkers the bad guys, they're way too cool and likeable.

- More Chalky White racial dynamic stuff, I find it really interesting, and the post-slavery struggles of a successful black man is something I've never really seen being done before.

- More Bugsy Siegel, he's great.

- Get Richard away from Nucky, he's too cool to be with those losers. Also, more scenes of him being sweet and sad with his fake girlfriend and his little forest suicide with a dog.

- I don't really care about van FBI guy. Do something about that.

- More talking Italian and Yiddish, it's cool to hear it.

- More Lanksy and Luciano. Just make the entire show about them. They're great, just on the period accents alone.

Also, just, in general, this;

[video=youtube;QS8lbfHUI3Q]

Edited by John Hancock

Capone's brother is probably Ralph then, which could be fun. He ran Capone's legitimate businesses, and was in the pockets of a lot of Chicago politicians, so that could be an interesting angle.

What year are they up to? I'm scared they're going to kill of Rothstein at the end of this season, and maybe do something with the Castellammarese War or The Commission next season, because all the characters are in place for it, but I think they're still in the mid-20s, which is a bit early for all that.

Yeah, he went from a bit of a cartoon character to a stand out guy. I loved the stuff with him trying to cope with his son's disability, and him not being a tough guy, and Capone having no idea how to be a Dad, I thought that added so much and made him way more real. As cheesy as it was, I got a little kick from his "Let's talk about who dies" reveal too.

[video=youtube;XaJal4MJNMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaJal4MJNMM

:sad5:

EDIT: Completely unrelated, but this came up as recommended after that video. This is probably my favourite little sequence of the last season. Best show on T.V. I'd say.

[video=youtube;XKC5cBR1Tgw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKC5cBR1Tgw

Edited by John Hancock

Yup, Ralph Capone is going to be in this season.

No Sky Atlantic date as of yet, they've only been a couple of weeks behind the last couple of years, so not being a downloader I'm hopeful of a airing date before the end of the month

The decapitation scene with Gyp on the beach last season is very probably the most brutal thing I've ever seen on a TV show. I'll miss Gyp

I liked Gyp too. He was an absolute cartoon, but, after Jimmy died, I think they needed that. He was just a complete antagonist, running around annoying all the real characters. It was nonsense, but I thought it was fun nonsense, and it was a good counter point to the Thompson family stuff that I'm starting to find really tedious. I also don't think he's any cartoonier than Van Whatever, playing Captain Pilgram, Joe Masseria being Don Badguy and Jim's Mum being the Wicked Witch. The show's always had cartoony characters in there with the real ones just to push the story along and make things a bit more fun. Even Capone, Luciano and Rothstein have had their cartoony moments, with Rothstein never getting bothered by anything, always having a little sly quip on hand whilst he walks around being super cool, apart from the family/friends stuff, Capone's been the Tasmanian Devil, even Richard Harrow's basically a bulletproof version of Deadshot, complete with crazy mask, Remus had his third person gimmick and his wacky slapstick arrest. I've always liked the way the show mixes realism and serious period stuff with the odd bit of comic book gangster nonsense to cheer you up, and I always found Gyp to be at least funny, and I thought he helped the plot massively, season three really needed to pick itself up after season two, which I thought really dragged to it's spectacular ending.

That said, I'm glad he's gone, he was a one season character, you can't keep a character like that around for more than one season or it gets stupid, he was a nice one shot guy, and a lot of fun, but he was too over the top to ever last. He was the perfect kick in the arse the series needed, and now they can move on without him, like one of those fire-lighter cubes you put in BBQs that burn out really quickly, but keep the coals hot.

Edited by John Hancock

I don't know if anyone's seen these, but four really cool little teaser videos about what's going to be going on in the three cities this season. Atlatic City, pfft, Harlem could be interesting, Chicago looks like a lot of fun, sort of the Gyp Rossetti role, but it's New York who really have my interest, looks like they're really teasing the formation of the Commission, which might even mean they do an early version of Murder Inc. in a later season, which would make me just about cum my unders.

[video=youtube;U1QsxB7vtBw]

[video=youtube;5a-YCN1pRD8]

[video=youtube;F40hfxz7vNw]

[video=youtube;bw6VqPlERPk]

• 4 weeks later...
I've been up to date, and, after five episodes, this has so much potential to be the best season yet. All the characters you love are main characters now, all the characters you hate have literally vanished, they've really listened to their audience, yet still avoided being too broad, or too easy, or not brutal enough. I'll avoid direct spoilers, but, yeah, it's awesome, best thing on T.V. right now.

• 1 month later...