WWE SmackDown Discussion Thread - August 9, 2013 from Rockford, IL (#729)

TPIB

http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com/images/shows/sd2.jpg

When

United States: Friday Night, Aug. 9, at 8/7c on Syfy

United Kingdom: Friday Night, Aug. 9, at 10PM on SkySportsHD3

Venue

BMO Harris Bank Center in Rockford, IL

Confirmed Matches/Events

Build to SummerSlam

Spoilers:

Credit:

wrestling-news.net

WWE Friday Night SmackDown

Airing This Week

The following results are from a recent WWE SmackDown TV Taping. The taping took place on Tuesday 6th August 2013 at the BMO Harris Bank Center in Rockford, Illinois and will air on Friday 9th August at 10pm on Sky Sports 3 in The UK.

Singles Match:

Randy Orton defeated Rob van Dam.

In Ring Segment:

Big E Langston and AJ Lee come to the ring as the guest of Miz TV, however Dolph Ziggler and Kaitlyn interrupt. The Miz says that he’s the host of WWE Summerslam and he’s using his authority to announce that at WWE Summerslam, Big E Langston & AJ Lee will take on Dolph Ziggler & Kaitlyn. Langston and AJ Lee attacked Ziggler & Kaitlyn, however Ziggler & Kaitlyn took control and hit their finishers.

Singles Match:

Fandango (w/Summer Rae) defeated Kofi Kingston.

Singles Match:

Daniel Bryan defeated Wade Barrett.

3 On 1 Handicap Match:

Kane defeated 3MB (Heath Slater, Drew McIntyre & Jinder Mahal). Post-match, The Wyatt Family appeared on the titantron and cut a promo on Kane.

Singles Match:

Christian defeated Alberto del Rio. Post-match, Del Rio attacked Christian, however Christian took control and hit the Killswitch on Del Rio. Damien Sandow came out with the Money in the Bank briefcase and looked to cash-in, however Cody Rhodes ran out and attacked Sandow before the match could start with a cross body to end the show!

In Ring Segment:

Big E Langston and AJ Lee come to the ring as the guest of Miz TV, however Dolph Ziggler and Kaitlyn interrupt. The Miz says that he’s the host of WWE Summerslam and he’s using his authority to announce that at WWE Summerslam, Big E Langston & AJ Lee will take on Dolph Ziggler & Kaitlyn. Langston and AJ Lee attacked Ziggler & Kaitlyn, however Ziggler & Kaitlyn took control and hit their finishers.

Why? Dolph vs. Big E was fine as it was. I swear to God if they get Dolph involved with Kaitlyn I'ma scream this place down.

How can you possibly be shocked at this? They have been building this match for weeks. Dolph and Big have already had multiple singles matches on TV already. The feuds aren't being shoehorned together, they have been intertwined from the beginning with AJ and Big E interfering in each others matches constantly, Dolph feuding with both Big and AJ and Kaitlyn now getting involved in the men's matches as a result as well.

Fine if you don't like it (although lulz at people still deluding themselves about Dolph's megapush) but acting like this is a last minute left turn is a stretch.

How can you possibly be shocked at this? They have been building this match for weeks. Dolph and Big have already had multiple singles matches on TV already. The feuds aren't being shoehorned together, they have been intertwined from the beginning with AJ and Big E interfering in each others matches constantly, Dolph feuding with both Big and AJ and Kaitlyn now getting involved in the men's matches as a result as well.

Fine if you don't like it (although lulz at people still deluding themselves about Dolph's megapush) but acting like this is a last minute left turn is a stretch.

It's not a last minute left turn, I realise that. I just think it's much easier to have them as two separate matches instead of convoluting everything even further with a mixed tag match on PPV. If anything I'd have quite happily taken the mixed tag on TV then have singles matches on the PPV.

So yeah, definitely not shocked. Just really don't like the idea, and I don't think its gonna benefit anyone in the long run.

It's not a last minute left turn, I realise that. I just think it's much easier to have them as two separate matches instead of convoluting everything even further with a mixed tag match on PPV. If anything I'd have quite happily taken the mixed tag on TV then have singles matches on the PPV.

So yeah, definitely not shocked. Just really don't like the idea, and I don't think its gonna benefit anyone in the long run.

IT's not really designed for Dolph though, it's the logical end to the feud given that AJ is already in a feud with Kaitlyn so she can't just blow that off to be aprt of E/Dolph. Dolph's future will be decided after this PPV but he's suffered from the fact Daniel Bryan has taken over as the fan favourite. The spoliht has moved away from how loud his pops were against Del Rio to how loud the Yes chants are now for DB. Really, if the Wrestling Community want Dolph back at the top they've got to spread the love between them both.

Anyway, pretty good show.

Orton/RVD was pretty good, almost solely because of the way they deconstructed Orton's comeback routine. Somehow a sequence that betrayed the pathological babyface need to hit the same moves in the same order regardless of circumstances actually came across quite organic as well. Orton clothesline, RVD is down. Orton patiently waits to see if he will get up, and when he does, bam, clothesline. RVD takes forever to get up again, but this time its because he's lying in wait to pounce with his own clothesline, but Orton DUCKS, RVD shoots off with the momentum and BAM, powerslam! If you had never seen an Orton match before you could believe that it was the first time he'd ever performed that particular sequence. Loved that.

Christian/Alberto f*cking ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLED, If they keep it a singles match and they have the same match at Summerslam (finish aside) peeps will go banana. Great, great stuff. Got a hell of a lot of time too, and they did a great job selling the exhaustion.

Brock Lesnar's promo ruled, Bray Wyatt's promo ruled. And Kofi took a really cool posting.

cody Rhodes is a bit stupid right (WWE storyline terms). Should of let Sandow cash in his MITB thus making his Summerslam match a title match. Oops.

OK episode this week. Highlight was the Bray Wyatt promo.