We Need more of this....

Jayfunk

..oops, JR with the run in.

So yeah it was a good spot-fu match. The Matrix I can never ever hate just for the reaction. I love watching people lose their sh*t like that. The match kind of peaked in the first 30 seconds though, which I'm not sure is a good thing. But there was a couple of other cool spots like the Buckle Ki Crusher, some of the flippydo kicks, the botched reverse Frankensteiner.

Anyone wants something to complain about though, try the commentary. It was f*cking ATROCIOUS. Corino and whoever the hell was with him could not have been any more grating with the pretentious "You won't see real wrestling like this on Mondays~!" and "Red has had 3 MOTYCs this year.." message board bullsh*t. I mean, it's ROH, I expect it, but still. I absolutely died when they said "This match won't insult your intelligence.." literally a minute after they cosplayed a scene from a f*cking movie. Then I died again at "NOBODY KICKS OUT OF THE KI CRUSHER!!...well except for American Dragon, but-" :lol F*cking goofs.

Still, the match itself was fine. I'm inclined to agree with Jay in that ROH, at least, needs more of this kind of stuff, if by "this" we mean cool spot-fu that actually excites a crowd, and guys who connect with them as much as Ki and Red. But you also can't unscramble the egg, and ROH is in the state it is in now partly because of the overkill nature of matches like this. After a certain point there is just nowhere else to go. But it was fun while it lasted.

I found it hard to tell who they were talking about, in the end I thought I heard Red's name.

Either way the point remains the same.

i am note sure i agree low oi in 2002 was on fire if uou ignore size of yhe promotion and just look at the matches there were of a great standard and moty candadates

i am note sure i agree low oi in 2002 was on fire if uou ignore size of yhe promotion and just look at the matches there were of a great standard and moty candadates

You completely misunderstand me. My point is not that Ki (or Red) didn't have MOTYCs in 2002, I'm saying that wrestling announcers talking about how many Match of the Year Candidates a guy has had is dorky message board rubbish. Again, I wasn't surprised because it's ROH, but it's still dorkish.

• 1 month later...
It is. Cue Paul to berry this in 3...2...

The matrix spot is so stupid it makes me want to cry seeing it in a 'serious' promotion. It belongs in something like DDT or Chikara. As a spot I can cope with it!.

Though its Amazing Red, I think Ive never disliked a wrestlers performance more.

I have to join in the hate, I thought it was very tacky and forced. It didn't look at all organic or natural, it was a dance, and not a particularly good one. I don't mind unrealism, I love lucha libre, but if you're going to do comic book wrestling, don't act like you're having a real match, and don't steal stuff out of movies that have become very over-referenced and cliched, and, even then, CMLL and AAA would have done that about five times quicker, ten times more convincingly, and a thousand times more entertainingly.

Archived