WWE SmackDown Discussion Thread - August 2, 2013 from Houston, TX (#728)

TPIB

http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com/images/shows/sd2.jpg

Due to WWE's tour of Australia, SmackDown was taped on Thursday, July 25.

When

United States: Friday Night, Aug. 2, at 8/7c on Syfy

United Kingdom: Friday Night, Aug. 2, at 10PM on SkySportsHD3

Venue

Toyota Center in Houston, TX

Confirmed Matches/Events

Alberto Del Rio to Hand-Pick his SummerSlam Opponent

Build to SummerSlam

Edited by TPIB

Spoilers:

Credit:

wrestling-news.net

WWE Friday Night SmackDown

Airing Friday 2nd August in The UK

The following results are from a recent WWE SmackDown TV Taping. The taping took place on Thursday 25th July 2013 at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas and will air on Friday 2nd August at 10pm on Sky Sports 3 in The UK.

Note:

Michael Cole and Alex Riley were on commentary for this episode.

In Ring Segment:

Alberto del Rio came out to open the show and said that he wants to have the chance to choose his opponent for WWE SummerSlam and says that John Cena got to choose Daniel Bryan and now, he’s choosing Ricardo Rodrguez as his opponent. Vickie Guerrero came out and said that she’s overruling Del Rio’s decision and that tonight, there will be a triple threat match between Rob van Dam, Christian and Randy Orton, with the winner facing off against Alberto del Rio at WWE SummerSlam.

Singles Match:

Cody Rhodes defeated Jack Swagger. Post-match, Josh Mathews interviewed Cody, however Damien Sandow attacked him.

Singles Match:

Big E Langston defeated Sin Cara.

Backstage Segment:

Kaitlyn was in the back discussing her WWE Divas Championship opportunity against AJ Lee later in the evening. Layla gave Kaitlyn a hug and wished her the best of luck.

Singles Match:

CM Punk defeated Fandango (w/Summer Rae).

Backstage Segment:

Rob van Dam was being interviewed in the back, however Christian and Randy Orton interrupted, with all three men insisting that they will win the match later in the evening, while Orton suggested that he could possibly become the WWE Champion and WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

WWE Divas Championship Match:

AJ Lee © defeated Kaitlyn. Layla turned on Kaitlyn towards the end of the match and post-match, left the ringside area with AJ Lee. A video package then aired for the live crowd in honor of “Booker T Day” in Houston, which saw Booker come out and address the crowd.

Triple Threat #1 Contender’s Match:

Christian defeated Rob van Dam and Randy Orton to become the #1 Contender to the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at WWE SummerSlam. Post-match, RVD and Randy Orton congratulated Christian, however as soon as they left, Alberto del Rio attacked Christian to end the show!

Kane better not be joining the Family. There's no need for it.

I said this last week, that I kind of like the idea of Kane joining them, if he actually becomes one of Wyatt's henchmen. Not have it as The Wyatt Family AND KANE, but just have Kane be completely brainwashed and do his bidding just like Brodie and the ranga.

Having a big star on the level of Kane be converted by Wyatt would be a pretty powerful statement about his cult leader powers. Much more than only brainwashing a bunch of scrubs, if you get me. In wrestling, usually the real stars are too smart to be taken in by cult leaders, only the stupid f*cks are gullible enough. That would make it different.

I'm just saying, people were convinced he would never challenge for the world title again. It was just a nice surprise for this to happen.

I don't think they were really, not that he'd literally never have another title shot ever again. The World Title is a midcard belt, it isn't beyond him. People were telling you that his primary job is to put people over, which is still true since the point of this is for him to put Alberto over while he has nothing better to do.

It was surprising even for me. I was convinced Orton or RVD would be getting the shot seeing as, on surface, they both had more momentum than Christian has / had.

I'm not a huge fan of Del Rio though to be honest, hopefully Christian takes the title at Summerslam and goes on to have a feud with Ziggler or something.

It was surprising even for me. I was convinced Orton or RVD would be getting the shot seeing as, on surface, they both had more momentum than Christian has / had.

I'm not a huge fan of Del Rio though to be honest, hopefully Christian takes the title at Summerslam and goes on to have a feud with Ziggler or something.

No. That makes no sense. The Del Rio/Ziggler feud hasn't had a really logical conclusion yet, Ziggler is just distracted by Tits McGee and AJ. After he's dispatched with those two, he'll take Del Rio's belt.

EDIT: Look'it me. Applying logic to rasslin'.