What do you think of the government?

bigmatt

I meant to do this earlier in the year with a "the coalition at half-time" type thing focused around the British government but I missed the relevant time. So what do you think of our leaders?

It's a pretty opportune moment for this with a UK general election in 2015, a U.S election in 2016, big changes in Australia and a chaotic world economic crisis.

Do you think Cameron, Osborne, Obama etc are doing a good job?

Who are you thinking of voting for in the near future?

I'm completely apathetic about the whole thing. It's just stuffy shirts arguing over things they have no comprehension about, fronted by a variety of tw*ts with no immediately discernible redeeming features or likeability.

Not like it really matters who you vote for anyways, they all just invariably f*ck it up by pretty much everything degenerating into petty party politics instead of what's best for folks.

Basically I'm with the People Who Hate People Party.

We don't meet up much.

I like Obama, as a guy, a lot, and I agree with him about a lot of things, but he's very much become one of those "Hey, at least I'm not that guy" politicians in terms of actual policy. Even thought I'm personally very libertarian in my beliefs, I think one running the country would be a complete f*cking disaster, because there's big parts of America that really do need progression shoved down their throats, and leaving Mississippi to do what they want would just be awful. I think a lot of American libertarians have sort of missed the point of the ideology in that they seem to really support tyranny of the majority by allowed states to vote on absolutely anything they want to, no matter how stupid or evil it is, and their fetishisation of the constitution, like it's literally a manual from God about how to run a country is just really pathetic.

I can't vote for a Republican until they drop the whole Christian thing. Whilst the Democrats can certainly be stupid, and smug, and annoying, and politically correct in the bad meaning of the team, and safe, and weak, at least they're not actively evil like I think a lot of Republicans are. I honestly think if you're against gay marriage, and abortion, and contraception, and the theory of evolution, and the theory of global warming (even though, yes, liberals take that way too far) and just Mexicans in general, then you're a c*nt, "waaaaah, but that's my religion", well, then you have a c*nty religion.

If there was a genuine progressive, sensible, capitalist-with-a-heart candidate, I'd do whatever I have to do to be able to vote, and vote for him.

In Britain, I canne gee a f*ck. Politics in Britain is just DEAD, it's all just test group answers, it's all just pandering to whoever yells the loudest, with everyone trying to be Tony Blair. Say what you want, but at least George Bush was a f*cking guy, no one taught Bush how to hold his hands in a earnest way, or what the latest buzz word was, or what cool band to name drop, or stupid little Eton-boy one liners to say in Parliament to impress his mates with. Bush was just a guy, dicking about. I think British politicians just try way, WAY too hard, and come across so fake and so, sort of "ohohoh, what do you want, please, tell me what you want, I'll do anything to make you happy". Go run a country you ponce, and try and look like you aren't about to shit yourself every time someone looks you in the eyes.

I voted Lib Dem in the last election, which was pointless, and I was planning on voting Labour next time, if I can, but they've become so unbearable in their snidy nay-saying. You've got so many ideas? Go do something then. It doesn't help that Ed Milliband is useless at being Tony Blair, which is now apparently the point of all British politics, where as David Cameron is quite good at it, walking around like a little gay robot looking at humans do stuff. If there's an alien race secretly monitoring us, and they're all uncomfortable closeted homosexuals, then, well, they sent him.

I think I'll probably vote Conservative next time if I still can, because everyone else is way too annoying, including all the Facebook liberals, and he put his neck out on the line for gay marriage, which was pretty stand up. It would be nice to have a Jewish world leader who isn't insane, but Milliband's such a little fakakta nebbish that he'll probably set the entire race back fifty years.

Not that I hate all politics. Boris Johnson is fair enough, although he doesn't really do anything other than make London look good, which is enough for me, Andrew Cuomo is a great governor, and probably my favourite American politician right now, Rudi Giulliani is a f*cking bad-ass, and would make a fantastic Republican candidate if he come return to his old days when he kept telling religious Republicans to go f*ck themselves, Bill Clinton gets that puss, Rahm Emanuel is the right kind of Jew, Joe Biden will f*ck you up for looking at him funny, Kirsten Gillibrand is a fantastic senator, and should be the country's first female President over Hillary any day.

My perfect Presidential ticket would be a cross-party Cuomo/Giulliani ticket, with Cuomo being the hero we deserve, and Giulliani being the hero we need, whilst Emanuel mimes stabbing conservative journalists to death somewhere off camera.

I'd have happily voted for Milliband in the next election.... David Milliband because he's on the right side for me politically and something about him made me think he;d be a ruthless bastard and really the spineless ****s in charge at the moment do my head in. I kind of want a leader that says "f*ck it, this is why you elected me so too bad if it;s not all roses and sunshine."

I'll still vote labour because as the conservatives have proven they think private business will save the UK when it;s pretty much proven that you have to invest in the public sector to keep an economy like ours going. I can;t vote lib dem because they've turned into the most nothing party ever. They said they'd keep the Tories in check but they've just turned over and presented to them on almost every major issue.

However Ed Milliband is Alan Partidge. That's all I hear when he talks. We'd be laughed out of every major international meeting with him in charge. Ironically Ed Balls is an MP I could get behind except for his name. Again, I think he's a lot smarter than he lets on and I'm happy to see that slightly ruthless streak in a possible PM because it means they'll do what's best for their PM-ship not necessarily the party ( Cameron did similar with the gay marriage thing).

I don't know how much this is to do with The Government, but today in the news we are trying to sell of Royal Mail. A company that has been around since the fifteen hundreds and has the bloody name Royal in it, so what is it gonna be called just mail? There selling it of because they can't afford it? All i hear on the news is cuts in the Military, cuts in the police, cuts in the NHS, cuts in school budgets, cuts in the council budgets, they cant fix the roads because they have no money? Where the hell has all the money gone? Why are we giving out money in aid to other countries when we need to get our own country in order? Surely if some party actually tried to sort this we would all vote them in? Sorry if that made no sense.

[video=youtube;ciRs-ySVmqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciRs-ySVmqQ

More people need to love Rahm Emanuel. Literally yelling at bitches with his dick out.

Edit: From Wikipedia;

Emanuel is known for his "take-no-prisoners style" that has earned him the nickname "Rahmbo." Emanuel sent a dead fish in a box to a pollster who was late delivering polling results. On the night after the 1996 election, angry at Democrats and Republicans who "betrayed" them in the 1992 election, Emanuel stood up at a celebratory dinner with colleagues from the campaign and began plunging a stake into the table and began rattling off names while shouting "Dead! Dead! Dead!". Before Tony Blair gave a pro-Clinton speech during the impeachment crisis, Emanuel reportedly screamed at Blair "Don't f*ck this up!" while Clinton was present.

Meyer Lansky Jr.

Edited by John Hancock

I don't know how much this is to do with The Government, but today in the news we are trying to sell of Royal Mail. A company that has been around since the fifteen hundreds and has the bloody name Royal in it, so what is it gonna be called just mail? There selling it of because they can't afford it? All i hear on the news is cuts in the Military, cuts in the police, cuts in the NHS, cuts in school budgets, cuts in the council budgets, they cant fix the roads because they have no money? Where the hell has all the money gone? Why are we giving out money in aid to other countries when we need to get our own country in order? Surely if some party actually tried to sort this we would all vote them in? Sorry if that made no sense.

Sadly it doesn't make any sense. The Royal Mail is, in itself, a self-sustaining business. It's not subsidised by the government in the same way the NHS is. It exists because the ability to deliver "mail" is in the public interest to be handled by the government and not by any random delivery company (or companies). Royal Mail has for the last 2 years I believe made consistent profit as they've shifted from mail to delivering parcels, ironically the internet which killed the letter has now opened up the fact we order stuff on line that needs delivery. There government are suggesting that by deregulating the royal mail it can make it's own commercial decisions on pricing so if they wanted to stamps could grow by whatever price the board of royal mail decided instead of being set by the government. If that's not worrying enough, consider the case of British Telecom, not only are you reliant on them for the backbone service for your phone and broadband regardless of who you buy through they were also caught collecting and selling click information from peoples browsing habits. Can you imagine royal mail opening\scanning your letters and packets so they can tailor your junk mail?

Royal Mail is one of the few government run operations that should very definitely stay that way. There is no value for the public to have a private postal service.

The lack of money is because as a country we;re in incredible debt, the cuts aren't made so we can stash the money in a swiss bank account, it's literally being poured into a black hole of billions of pounds to stop the black hole getting bigger.

Also on foreign aid, it makes up 1.1% of everything the government spends money on and giving aid to other countries is more than a humanitarian issue. It creates opportunities to maintain and improve relations with other countries that in the end improve our standing internationally as well as potentially bring in the opportunity for Britain to make money back.

Check the following article out, it's quite illuminating.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-public-wrong-about-nearly-everything-survey-shows-8697821.html

I dont see why royal mail shouldnt be sold it will mean a better service as the private sector does thing better because profit is a big driver of change

That's a VERY basic way of looking at it. Quest for profit can also drive service down and prices up, like the Rail Networks, or the Energy companies.

I'd happily leave Royal Mail as it is, just someone somewhere has rubbed their greedy little hands together and thought "there's money to be made from this".

Because it worked out so well with publc transport, telecoms and energy companies...

well that is very debatable, i would say it has worked well BT is a massive company doing very well, i can see the benefits of selling royal mail. National run companys tend to be very poorly run and have lots of waste in it, whereas private companies tend not to be able to afford thoses wastes and make it more effiecent. but like with most things there are pros and cons in either way

maybe, but without competition there is no drive for it, heck look at WWE no competition no quality no need. I work in the financial services industry basically we all do the same products and competition is key, service and price is really the only factors why people choose a firm in our industry, overall competition should drive down prices and increase service

I don't believe everything should be, royal mail is a much different beast to the BBC, the BBC has culture resposabilities and is held in trust of the people, so i would say no. I would not enjoy ad breaks which would be result of this in my BBC programming. but there very good cases for privatisation in the royal mail, in the NHS and even in schools, i don't think privatisation is as bad as people think it is, it turned failing government run businesses and turned them around. IMHO

Only competition increases service as its a big selling factor

Works well for the airlines then where competition means great service.... or your ISP's who all have to pay a private monopoly to get onto the phone network... or G4s... the list rather goes on. Certain large scale organisations should run at profit not for profit. Royal mail has done so for the last 2-3 years. if you privatise it what happens? You can't put out deliverying mail to tender like the rail networks so you sell off a company that has a monopoloy on letters and also receives the biggest infrastructure backbone for the parcel delivery and say "there you go, pretty much no one can touch you". There's no incentive to make things better because in the end a certain percentage of all post HAS to go through them, it become about how much the board can skim off for themselves and please the share holders.

At the very, very least you could try actually engaging in the debate instead of posting soundbites of opinions with no good evidence to back them up.