Ashes 2013/14

Chris2K

Not sure if you want a separate Ashes thread, but it's all kicking off tomorrow with England having to pick between Bresnan and Finn (I'd pick both and drop Bairstow) and Australia apparently having their 11 selected but they're not telling anyone, including the 5 people in the squad who have been left out.

Meanwhile Michael Clarke has been stirring things up by saying he's happy Compton isn't playing and Root is, considering how well Compton did against Australia in the warm-up matches I'm not surprised.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It blows my mind hearing you talk about winter when this is the hottest day of the year here :lol

But yeah, mega can't wait for this. Been looking forward to this series for what seems like forever, and while I support England, I hope the Aussies can put it together a bit to make the contest a bit interesting.

I would pick Finn over Bresnan.

Oooh!

27 degrees celcius today I'll have you know! :lol

That's about pushing to the stage where I need to go and sit in the shade... Still at least we shouldn't lose any play in the first test which will make for a nice change.

I know it's a cliché but I can't believe this here already.

EDIT: Cook wins the toss and chooses to bat. Finn chosen ahead of Bresnan.

England: A Cook (capt), J Root, J Trott, K Pietersen, I Bell, J Bairstow, M Prior, S Broad, G Swann, S Finn, J Anderson.

Australia: S Watson, C Rogers, E Cowan, M Clarke (capt), P Hughes, S Smith, B Haddin, P Siddle, J Pattinson, M Starc, A Agar.

I'm happy with that.

Edited by bigmatt

20 overs in and I'm pleased. Trott looks dangerous and Root seems to have settled quite nicely. The ball seems to be reversing a bit so I think Jimmy and co will be dangerous later. I would love Root hit a debut tonne to answer any of the question marks

Edit: F*ck sake. Commentators curse.

Picking Agar is a gutsy call for Australia but one that I respect, I think he's got the makings of a good spin bowler and certainly a better option for the future than Lyon, Doherty or any of the others they have.

EDIT (13:45):

SHUT UP MAGIC!

EDIT EDIT (14:34): This is now getting a bit worrying...

Edited by Chris2K

Yup. Disappointing score but credit to the Aussia attack, they've been underestimated by the English media and have shown they're no mugs. Siddle was excellent.

A real shame with the amount of batsman getting and then getting out. Too many starts without people kicking on. Hopefully just opening day jitters and they'll improve.

This number 11 can't half bat for a 19 year old making his Test debut. A move up the order in future I think.

EDIT: Just seen that it's a record score for an number 11 debut. Well played.

Edited by Magic

Apparently he averages 35 in First Class cricket and has batted at number three in the past for a club team. He's certainly no number 11. Now we have a game on our hands.

Also, I missed that bit Chris so can't answer you sadly.