Best match of June?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Best match of June?

• Gail Kim vs Taryn Terrell - TNA Slammiversary
    • Bully Ray vs Sting - TNA Slammiversary
    • Daniel Bryan vs Ryback - WWE Raw 3/6
    • Jeff Hardy vs Bully Ray (Hammer on a Pole) - TNA Impact 6/6
    • Daniel Bryan vs Seth Rollins - WWE Raw 10/6
    • The Shield vs Bryan/Kane/Orton - WWE Smackdown 14/6 (first loss)
    • Alberto Del Rio vs Dolph Ziggler - WWE Payback
    • CM Punk vs Chris Jericho - WWE Payback
    • Daniel Bryan vs Randy Orton (Street Fight) - WWE Raw 21/6
    • Other (please state)

and not a lot of TNA talk outside of Impact threads

A shame. :(

Anyway, Gail Kim / Taryn was miles better than I thought it would be. I expected Gail to be good but not so much for Taryn, but they both worked really well together, and the finish was pretty great. Looking forward to their ladder match next week.

My vote is actually for Other: Sheamus vs Antonio Cesaro.

Their two matches were easily my favourites, Main Event 5/6 and Smackdown 14/6. If pressed I think I'd choose the Smackdown match, just. Both were amazing, hard-hitting, balls out big man battles.

Alberto vs Dolph at Payback and Gail vs Taryn would be right under those.

I've been in this thread, looking at that list three times now and I still have no idea what to vote for. I think a lot of people will vote Bryan/Or'un streetfight since it's so recent and it was really good.

I think the obvious answer is Taryn/Gail because it's something we haven't seen from women in awhile but I honestly don't know if it's a better match than the others. It's good they're getting the recognition because they worked their asses off. Out of just the TNA matches, that's the one I'd vote for anyway. What did Sting/Bully have to offer? A couple piledrivers? F*ck cares. Bully/Jeff was good, but most of us called the Devon swerve so it lacked excitement, a trait Gail/Taryn had in spades.

The Smackdown six man was awesome and so was Ziggler/Dorito.

I haven't seen Sheamus/Cesaro because, well, Sheamus, so Jimmy's right about me not being a wrestling fan but I think I'll watch that before I vote because honestly I should back of the Sheamus hate and I trust Jimbo's remarks about the match so it's gotta be good. Besides, I need to focus more hate on Ryback. Let's admit it, he deserves it. Don't try to Jimmy me on this issues either. Nothing on Earth will change my mind on him so save your breath.

My favorite is Punk/Jericho and that's where I'm heavily leaning but there were a few spots that were retarded and they keep me from giving that match a 5*. When I mean a few spots I mean the standing Anaconda. He should have STO'd him after he locked it in. That's being picky but whatever, it's my reason I haven't picked it yet.

And if I'm being 100% honest Bryan/Crybitch was a good match too.

Think I'll reserve my judgement until I watch Fella/Nipples.

edit:

Main Event 5/6

Thanks, I came back to ask. :lol

Here to help.

I'm interested to know what you think about it/them. I thought they were fantastic, seriously MOTYC level and easily in my Top 10. The SD match in particular had that Sheamus/Tensai, 'beat the utter f*ck out of each other' vibe. I think that is why I would pick that over the other, but we're talking by millimetres, and I've seen most other people prefer the ME match.

I think however sick someone could be of Sheamus' goofy character or Asshole Babyfaceness, and deservedly so, it really has nothing to do with his in-ring and I can't even imagine anyone not enjoying him in the ring these past 18 months.

Just watched most of the show(I tapped out at Gabes/Hawkins. Gimmie a break, I've watched a ton of wrestling this week. have a feeling you're gonna tell me it was great and I should have watched it Correction: just listened to it while typing and it sounded like I didn't miss much); here are my thoughts and my final decision for the month of June.

Rhodes Scholars/Uso's was really good too and if there's anything I learned from this show it's that Ricardo is terrible on commentary, Josh sucks at witty banter, and Miz is a racist.

Thank you, Fella. Thank you for making me believe Antonio could win and not just once but three different times. Crossface chickenwing, bitches. There were a lot of great spots. It even psychology and pacing. There was a minor botch but it was really nothing, they both covered it well and moved on nicely. Most people probably wouldn't even notice it. This match was great and definitely should have been on the list. This is for sure Jimbo's match and I won't take that away from him. If not exclusively yours, Jimbo, you still brought it to mind so it counts in my brains. It's like we both went to the same place to eat but we had different things. Slightly different.

I think Punk/Jericho was better but only just. It's the big match feel that's more swaying me here than anything. Jericho wasn't great and I've seen a lot better from Punk, but it was still a great match. Everything from Heyman's everything, Punk's side-chops, Jericho's "Stay down, idiot" Elbows, to the finish were awesome.

So yeah, Punk/Jericho barely gets my vote. It was Punk's return and really felt like a blow off to a long feud. It advanced Punk's storyline and just meant more in general. As good as Sheamus/Cesaro was it just didn't mean anything and it's meaning and them feels that are winning me over. That said, I would LOVE a big program between Sheamus and Antonio. I feel like Sheamus is The Guy to bring him up to the next level. I hope to see a lot more from them and now I don't completely hate Fella. I'll still talk shit, but I don't Ryback hate him. In fact if pushed right with the right angle, I could see "Fella" being the new " Well you know something, brother."

I went with Bryan/Orton just because it was one of the few matches i have seen this month and I loved the intensity and brutality of the matches. I just think Bryan/Orton work well together. I have not seen Payback yet so will have to watch that when i can obtain it.

JI think Punk/Jericho was better but only just. It's the big match feel that's more swaying me here than anything. Jericho wasn't great and I've seen a lot better from Punk, but it was still a great match. Everything from Heyman's everything, Punk's side-chops, Jericho's "Stay down, idiot" Elbows, to the finish were awesome.

So yeah, Punk/Jericho barely gets my vote. It was Punk's return and really felt like a blow off to a long feud. It advanced Punk's storyline and just meant more in general.

Watched Punk/Jericho.

Maybe it's because I just watched it, but to me it felt a lot like Roode/Aries, in that it was a match carried by the moment and the emotion in the building, and had a good finish, but also felt like a lot of nothing for long periods.

Nothing particularly interesting happened in the first half. They were just kind of going through the motions of 'We are having a long match'. The announcers were talking about ring rust, and Punk was clearly blowing up early, but it also didn't factor into the match in any way, so in the end I'm not sure what the point was. So they rolled around a little, and then at the halfway point, on cue, they started trading finishers. Then its onto the bomb throwing second half, where we kick out of each others' finishers, reverse your submission into my submission, do a super/springboard version of my finisher...most of it just felt a bit perfunctory. Wrestling a "show stealing epic" by numbers.

I mentioned this before but this is my problem with Jericho in 2013. His workrate act in the ring is too forced. Even the Fandango match at Wrestlemania, you knew going in it was clearly designed for Jericho to carry him around and put him over, but the way it was worked you didn't leave thinking "Man Fandango looked good there" (which is the goal of carrying someone and putting them over) but rather "Man Jericho carried Fandango around and put him over". Jericho "carried" him by busting out a whole bunch of movez, taking most of the match, kicking out of his finisher and losing to a rollup. He didn't make Fandango look good in any way, because he wasn't trying to, he was trying to have a workrate match to show how great he is as a worker by dragging Fandango to a good match. It was a 'Carry Young Guy To His Best Match' match by numbers.

Its the same deal with the Punk match, or when he works anyone in a long TV or PPV match anymore. It is all about having an 'Epic Workrate Match' and getting his sh*t in, regardless of circumstances. We roll around a bit because we're going long, then we do reversals of all our moves, then we trade finishers, then we trade submissions, then you roll me up out of the Walls, then I put you over. Of course he's not the only guy in the company who has workrate matches, but nobody else makes it feel as manufactured as he does.

In terms of the Punk match, the nothing of the first half and turning on a dime into bomb throwing in the second half felt disconnected. There was no real sense of escalation, they didn't really do enough early to earn kicking out of finishers so abruptly, and it didn't make a lot of sense. But they HAD TO start kicking out of stuff because it was halftime and hey, in an Epic Workrate Match, you kick out of stuff in the second half. They were just trying too hard to have a great match for my liking.

Having said all that, I sound harsher on the match than I actually am, because I did enjoy it and there was some good stuff in it as well. Punk was pretty good in it, especially compared to Jericho who brought nothing but his colouring book. Countering Jericho's springboard dropkick was neat. I liked the low-key arm work that paid off when Punk used the Anaconda, and then later when he attacked the arm to get out of the Walls. I actually liked the standing Anaconda out of the Walls too, not sure why you didn't. The subtle Heyman interference was amazing, as was the post-match. And I liked the finish as a "do it again, just to make sure" death blow. There were little things I really liked, but I just had major structural problems with it that prevent me from calling it all that great.

Archived