WWF Through The Years - 1996

Kam

From Wrestling 101:

Welcome to WWF Through The Years, the first of what I hope will be a running series of articles documenting the WWF's programming in 1996. We'll mainly be focusing on the Monday Night Raws and Pay-Per-View events, however I am also going to try and find the matches from Superstars as well. I'll go through all the matches and angles from each show and give my opinions on them where possible, as well as any back stories or trivia that relate to them.

The reason I've chosen 1996 is because it's the year that I first became interested in wrestling and I thought that going back and watching it again as the "smart" fan that I am now would allow me to see it again through a different mindset. 1996 was a difficult time for the WWF as the introduction of WCW Monday Nitro as direct television competition was giving their rivals a strong platform in what would be known as the Monday Night Wars. The WWF were watching the stars they created such as Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage draw in new fans to WCW and were attempting to counter-act the old roster of WCW with younger talent like Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Diesel, Razor Ramon and Ahmed Johnson. It allowed for a fresh product but the lesser-known main eventers needed time to become the legends they would be known as eventually...

> WWF Through The Years – 1996 (Week 1)

Got a comment? Post it directly on Wrestling 101 to enter our Wrestling 101 Readers Challenge for your chance to win a cash prize!

I recommend everyone to register a Disqus account so you can comment on the W101 articles. Thousands of websites use Disqus so you'll be able to use it elsewhere also!

• 2 weeks later...

Part 2 is now online...

Welcome to the second article documenting the WWF’s programming in 1996. Last time out we got the surprise announcement that Vader would be debuting for the WWF at the Royal Rumble, The Smoking Gunns won the RAW BOWL, and Diesel defeated King Mabel in less than ten seconds before leaving with the RAW BOWL QUEEN. What could possibly happen to top that this week? Other than… anything?

> WWF Through The Years 1996: Week 2

• 2 weeks later...

Next one:

Welcome to the as we approach our third week of the WWF television shows from 1996, so far we’ve seen the arrival of Steve Austin in the WWF under the name of The Ringmaster and the management of Ted DiBiase, The Smoking Gunns won a competition called The Raw Bowl, Goldust has been tormenting Razor Ramon with flowers, (fake) tattoos and lewd pictures, Ahmed Johnson smashed Jeff Jarrett’s guitar, and the build for the Royal Rumble has meant the announcement of the debut of Vader in the match. How are we going to top that this week?

> WWF Through The Years: Week 3

• 2 weeks later...

Latest one is now online:

Welcome back to WWF Through The Years where we just have the one show this week, it’s a big one though as it’s covering the first major WWF event of 1996 with the 1996 Royal Rumble. As one of the big four PPV events this was a hotly anticipated card, even if the matches on the show were either a bit underwhelming or, in the case of the WWF Title match, poorly hyped up before the show...

> WWF Through The Years 1996: Week 4 – WWF Royal Rumble

• 3 weeks later...

More...

Welcome back to the world of 1996 with, we’re hot on the road to WrestleMania after the Royal Rumble where a new Intercontinental champion was crowned, a guitar was smashed, a valet took greater priority in a Tag Team Title match than the wrestlers, a mediocre Royal Rumble match gave us one half of our WrestleMania main event, and the WWF Title match ended in both controversy for the participants and frustration for the fans. We take our next step with the RAW and Superstars shows from the week after the Royal Rumble.

You all know how this works by now, so let’s get straight on with the shows!

> WWF Through The Years 1996: Week 5

• 2 weeks later...

Next one is live:

Welcome back in time to 1996 for the ongoing saga of the WWF’s television shows and PPV events from that year. We’re currently on the road to WrestleMania with Shawn Michaels celebrating his victory at the Royal Rumble, Bret Hart defending the WWF Title against Undertaker and Diesel, two men who are feuding themselves, Goldust’s homosexually-charged campaign against Razor Ramon has gained him the Intercontinental Title, and Sunny continues to be pushed as the sex symbol of the company.

> WWF Through The Years 1996 – Week 6

Archived