Kurt Angle & AJ Styles V Bad Influence (Kaz and Daniels) - SM 2012

Wow.

No offense meant Jammy but I find that pretty incredible. And not even in a LOLTNA way either, because I'm sure I could name at least 25 TNA tag team matches that were better without blinking, and I'm someone who doesn't even follow TNA that closely.

What I remember about this match in particular is that, amazingly, Kurt Angle was only the third worst wrestler in it. The heels were so shockingly inept at getting heat that it legitimately took me out of the match for the most part. For someone with Daniels' rep as a worker, in particular, it was pretty disappointing. But on the other hand, AJ was working for more than four men and a hot tag sequence is a great place for Angle's spotfu, which made for a great stretch of moves.

It was a pretty good match, don't get me wrong, but I think calling it the best tag team match ever is pretty...wow.

Oh, I'm sure there are better matches, but I can only go off what I've watched myself. You've probably seen allot more of TNA than I have from years gone by (?).

There's plenty of other decent tag matches I've enjoyed: MCMG v Beer Money, MCMG v Generation Me, Team 3D V Beer Money, but I thought the above was a great, fast, tag-team match.

What would you consider to be the best tag team matches you've seen, Jimmy?

That is a good question. It's not something I've really thought about too hard.

Although I think my favourite tag team matches are still the two Angle/Benoit vs Edge/Rey tags, from No Mercy and Smackdown in 2002. I think you'd like them actually, if you haven't seen them already, since the Smackdown Six period was basically the peak of the spotfest/move heavy/Kurt Angle style of wrestling.

Beyond that, I'd have to think about it. Not a bad idea for a thread actually, since I'd like to know other people's thoughts on this too.

I do have to thank you though, I was sitting here wanting to watch wrestling and not knowing where to turn, and now I have the answer: TNA tag team matches.

Because I can't resist the lure of list-making as long as I live.

Actually I've spent the last day or so watching the 2003 AMW vs Triple X feud, which was some solid gold tag team work. Along with the frankly frightening desire it has instilled in me to watch all of the TNA Weekly PPVs, it has made me want to try and name the 25 best tag team matches from TNA that I claimed I could. Obviously I'm not a die-hard TNA fan and there are going to be huge gaps in my list. But still for Jammy, I'd definitely recommend all of them if you're interested, since most of them are the kind of action-heavy matches that you tend to like. So, for argument's sake, here are TNA Tag Team Matches Better Than The Slammiversary Tag:

1. through 6. AMW vs Triple X - Weekly PPV #28, #35, #41, #49, #50 (first cage match) and Turning Point 2004 (second cage match w/ Skipper cage walk)

7. Triple X vs Jerry Lynn & Amazing Red vs Sharkboy & Jason Cross vs Jonny Storm & Chris Sabin - Weekly PPV #39

8. Triple X vs Jerry Lynn & Amazing Red - Weekly PPV #40

9. AMW vs Team Canada - Final Resolution 2005

10. and 11. AMW vs AJ & Daniels - Sacrifice and Slammiversary 2006

12. and 13. AJ & Daniels vs LAX - No Surrender 2006 (Ultimate X) and BFG 2006 (Cage Match)

14. LAX vs MCMG vs Rock n Rave Infection - Destination X 2008

15. MCMG vs Speed Muscle - Impact 12th June 2008

16. through 20. MCMG vs Generation Me - Impact 14th Jan 2010, Destination X 2010 (Ultimate X), BFG 2010, Reaction Nov 2010 (Empty Arena), Final Resolution 2010 (Full Metal Mayhem)

21. through 27. MCMG vs Beer Money - Victory Road 2010, Best of Five Series 2010 (Ladder Match, Cage Match, Ultimate X, Street Fight, 2/3 Falls Match) and Genesis 2011

A couple of them I haven't seen in a long time, but I stand by them all. Not to mention there are tonnes of periods I'm missing entirely.

The MCMG/Beer Money 2/3 Falls, AMW/Team Canada and MCMG/Speed Muscle matches are my favourite TNA tags, for what it's worth.

Yeah the only AMW match anyone ever talks about is the cage match where Skipper walks the cage. Do you get Explosion in Australia? As I hadn't seen the match since it first aired, until they had it on Explosion as the match of the week a couple months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I've apparently threadjacked this and turned it into a TNA tag team thread.

The Naturals vs Aries & Strong, Against All Odds 2006

The Naturals are pretty mediocre, and Roddy is Roddy, but Aries single-handedly makes this great by being the world's greatest bumping, stooging sawed-off midget. He also throws the greatest tope I have EVER seen, and the way it was shot is by far and away the biggest accomplishment in the history of the TNA production crew.

[video=youtube;7CdersNRCbs]

The Naturals vs AMW (Ladder Match), Weekly PPV #102 14/7/04

I love that after a pretty heated feud which led to this, this was largely worked as a hate-filled brawl that happened to have ladders around as weapons, instead of a fort-building stuntshow. Some pretty fun and brutal shots peppered throughout this. Also love how they treated the table spot as an absolute death move and the ensuing two-on-one was the story of the match. Structurally this match was off the charts, and Storm's selling was magnificent, and it's just Harris' disappointing lack of fire and the Naturals' mediocrity that prevent this from reaching a really high level. Still, it was pretty great and the Naturals are certainly carryable with the right opponents, and AMW can carry just about anyone.

[video=youtube;VSUBMeDN42A]

I don't know what Roddy Strong is like in the ring now.But back in 2005 he was tied with James Gibson as the best wrestler in the world in my opinion.Better than Punk,Joe,Danielson, AJ Styles,Cena,Jericho Benoit and Gurrero although maybe I have slightly rose tinted glasses from back then.

He can perform moves well enough, but the guy is just deathly boring to me. The quintessential ROHbot kind of worker.

And I liked his matches with Gibson and Bryan from 2005 as well, although WOTY is severely pushing it and he wasn't as good as any of those people, or about a dozen more.

I'm just saying, the man is a warm body at best and doesn't really add anything interesting beyond the mechanics of a back breaker.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

I haven't seen a Roddy Strong match since about 2007, but back then I was a big ROH mark.I have 95% of the ROH DVDs from early 05 to early 07,haven't watched them in years mind you. But yeah it was probably my ROH tinted specs looking back that made me think he was so good. I seem to remember a Jack Evans tag match at Manhattan Mayhem was pretty good,three matches against Danielson? And then his whole run with Aries as tag champ and the feud with The Embassy. To show you how big an ROH fan boy I was, you can see me at the end of Danielson and McGuiness in Liverpool going mad at Danielson haha!

I don't blame you at all for liking him, I'm sure you did and do, but he's really not my thing at all. And that period of time certainly appears to be his career peak, whatever that is worth.

What was Bryan/Nigel like live? I prefer their first match, and the headbutts come off especially dumb in hindsight, but I'm sure it was amazing being in the building.

His peak was also ROH's peak I think? Have you seen any ROH recently? If so what like are they now? Yeah it was good live from what I can remember, I can remember the sound of the headbutts on the post ringing loud at the time.That show was far superior to the 2007 shows.