Man of Steel Discussion ***Spoilers***

The Beltster

I enjoyed it, but Its by no means a great film.

The flashbacks make it seem a little to disjointed. Lois Lane is bizarre and the action is just to intense.

But the positives outweigh the negatives. Cavill is great as is Superman, Antje Traue was fantastic, I honestly thought she outshone Micheal Shannon. Hans Zimmers soundtrack is up there with anything he did with The Dark Knight trilogy.

It's a good film.

There are issues, the primary one being the thing no one has mentioned here and that I won't mention, but that Superman never does (at least in cannon)... then he does it in this movie. There's going for gritty, and then there is undermining the character.

Superman is a giant toss pot who I despise, precisely because he never does that thing, ever. I freely admit, the life of Superman as I would live it would be much simpler because, for instance, Lex ****ing Luthor would be that thing you get by doing that other, previously mentioned, thing he doesn't do. But that would make an exceptionally boring story because there would be no antagonists after about 6 panels.

Edited by Maxximus

It made sense in the context of the moment too. Superman killed Zod to save innocent civilians. One life to save many and also symbolically siding with the human race over his own birth race. I had no problem with it and as was said, he killed Zod in SMII and he's killed others in the comics. Most recently the Joker in Injustice: God's Among Us. Edited by Maxximus

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see this last night and it was fantastic!

This part:

http://i.imgur.com/HXli3AV.gif

Little tribute to the man maybe? I'd like to think so.

I love that Supes, knowing he was an alien and everything that humans know about the universe is pretty much nothing, still talks to a priest about what he's dealing with. It was a nice little touch.

The killing made sense how it was done.

Saw it Thursday, amazing. So many Easter eggs too for fans. Tw of my fave were the Smallville logo/font on the water tower and when he's introduced to Dr Hamilton, as the doc is introduced, the army guy was the the actor who played Hamilton inSmallville :D

Saw it today and really enjoyed it. Comparing it to Nolan's Batman, I'd rate it higher than "Rises", on a par with "Begins" and not as good as "Returns".

What I would say is that, CGI-wise, it's probably the greatest anythings I've seen, and possibly even a milestone.

Fantasia, King Kong, Jason & The Argonauts, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Toy Story, Avatar, and now the fight scenes in this film.

Cheers!

Off topic slightly, but I picked up the entire Season 9 of Smallville on Blu Ray for £6 at CeX this week, the season with the Major Zod arc. Major because he was a clone. Callum Blue was a nice fresh take on Zod, funnily enough he kills the clone Jor-El who was Terrence Stamp, aka Zod in Superman 2.

I need to find time to go see Man of Steel again tho.