The Championship 2013/14

Magic

Wrong thread ;)

Feel free to move it! :P

We've got BRM, Jammy, Omega and myself, plus any others I don't know about it, so fudge it, thought I'd make a thread.

Championship can be a damn exciting league, plus I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need a place to vent my inevitable rage at times this year.

Any other folks fans of Championship clubs for this coming season?

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah come on, surely there is some Wovers fans out there lurking.

Go Venkys!

I fancy Bolton at the moment, but yeah this a batshit mental league the difference between the Play offs and tye relegation zone was hardly anything at all. I cant see much changing this time round.

If the owners invest you have to fancy Watford. I know they're changing the loan rule, but rumour has it they're gonna make some of those deals permanent which can only be good for them. I rate Zola and they were pretty unlucky not to go up this year.

At this stage, first thing first for me is to ensure we don't do a Wolves :lol

When we were in the Premier League, I never really paid that much attention to the championship, but it really is a crazy league. There's no established top four every year, everyone can beat everyone, and last season was so unbelievably close in terms of the number of points seperating the 10 -15 teams.

Next season will be even harder for us to get promoted. Wigan, QPR and Reading will be the favorites, then I imagine the likes of us, Watford, Leicester will all just be behind them. I think Wigan and Reading have the best chance of coming straight back up, providing they keep most of their best players, and they don't seem to be saddled with much, if any debt whatsoever, so there in no pressure to sell.

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. Roll on August,

Wigan are in no debt. We've turned a profit the last couple of years, although it was very minimal. Any debt we had was from Uncle Dave and it's been converted into Equity.

I like Vydra, but I think he's too good for Watford and he'll go elsewhere.

Edited by Magic

Yep, Coyle is gonna be the new man on a 12 month rolling deal. Dave's told him to get us back into the Premier League at all costs, with Europe coming second.

When I first heard the news I was a bit disappointed. But it's sunk in now, and I'm gonna give him a fair crack at the whip because he did well with Burnley in this league, and he also has the benefit of his name not being Steve McClaren.

If it was up to me, I think I would have taken a punt on Reme or Phelan if they were genuinely interested, but I can udnerstand why Dave has gone with a man who has taken a club into the EPL in the past. So yeah, not thrilled, but content.

Its not like he's not done it in the Championship before. As long as Europe doesn't prove anything of a distraction then Wigan should at the very least make a push for the play offs.

I also noticed that the 3 home Europa League ties are free for season ticket holders.

Good to see Leeds signing Matt Smith from Oldham, hope he's anotrher Beckford and can put the ball in the back of the net. I'd really like to see us bringing in lads with potential and not 30 year old ex-players of the new boss. It's going to be a mentally tough season for everyone and I fancy that the relegate teams are going to seriously struggle if they don't hold onto their decent players which typically never happens. I think QPR could even do a Wolves and drop two divisions if the money isn't spent right.

I fancy Reading to be the most secure out of the three relegated teams. I like Adkins, he knows the league and should give them a bit of solidity. I'm a bit bummed Reading fired Mcdermott actually because I think if Adkins had stayed out of work we would have gotten him. He used to play for us after all.

In fact, I wouldn't have minded Mcdermott himself actually.

If QPR 'do-a-Wolves' I will laugh all the way to the play offs.

Roman Golobart and Maynor Figueroa have left us on Bosman's. I'm happy to see the back of Figueroa but it's a shame about Golobart. He's young and has potential.

Figueroa has signed for Hull, Golobart Koln in Deutschland.

I expect this will just be the beginning of the player exodus.

QPR is a funny one. I wonder if any EPL teams will want to take on any of their high earners like Samba, after the performances at the back end of last season. They kind of can't win because if they can't sell them, they'll be costing them a fortune, and if they do sell, they'll be left with a squad lacking any quality.

The only player who came out of last season with pass marks was Remy. Surely he'll go, but who would want any of the rest? I wouldn't.

Andros Townsend was great for them, but he was only on loan. I'd love to get him at Wigan for the season, but I guess he'll go to an EPL team on loan or have a role at Spurs.

Edited by Magic

Here are the odds to win it:

QPR 5/1

Leicester 8/1

Bolton 9/1

Nottingham Forest 10/1

Reading 10/1

Watford 12/1

Wigan 12/1

Brighton 14/1

Leeds 16/1

Bournemouth 18/1

Ipswich 18/1

Birmingham 20/1

Blackburn 20/1

I'm surprised by some of that. Watford being as long as they are surprises me, as well as Leicester being as short as they are. Also though we might be a bit shorter coming off the FA cup when, but I guess when you factor in the new manager and such, they don't fancy us as much.

Watford is probably based on the loan rules changing and people being unsure how string they'll be, could be very good odds if they work out a way around the changes. I can see both Bolton and Brighton struggling this season. QPR as hot favo0urites can only be due to the fact they expect the owners to plough some cash into the club but I think they may well just see what they can do with who stays on and just top up with cheaper signings.